BDT110EB or S480 or BD-660????

TerryFen

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

New to the forum and hoping you can help me.

I am looking to buy first blu ray player and after hours of trawling the net I have narrowed my choice to the following which are all in my price bracket of sub £150;

Sony BDP-S480
LG BD-660
Panasonic DMP-BDT110EB

Can anyone recommend one of the above over the other two? My primary requirements are;

1. General picture and sound quality
2. DVD upscaling quality
3. Online content (ie youtube, dailymotion, iplayer etc) via wireless
4. USB playback (avi, mpeg, mp3, jpeg)

Any advice or recommendations would be gratefully received.

Thanks in advance.

sony has iplayer panny doesn't (yet). Do you need built in wifi? If so I think bdt210 is the panny you need to consider, I think s480 has wifi but check before you buy.

I have the same short list
Also considering the Philips bdp-5200. It has iPlayer, Youtube(HD) and DLNA
I bought (and returned) the older model (5100), and it played the US downloaded MKV files well off USB, so the 5200 should too.
- The 5100 is not getting iPlayer.

With the current price, I am mostly tempted by the Panny, That being said, I am trying to find confirmation that any of these other machines will play my MKV 720p downloads, before purchasing.

nineteen - you will probably find that some MKV files will play and others will not no matter which one you buy.

The problem is more likely to be audio or video formats than any resolution issues.

The problem is there are far too many codecs. The whole
media world has gone completely mad IMO.

From your original requirements you will actually need the sony s580

This is why I was hoping for someone to jump and say
"yeah I have downloaded programmes like big bang theory 720P and they play just fine on my xxxxx blu-ray"

FWIW The codec (according to VLC) for all the files I am likely to want to play is AVC1

nineteen - you will probably find that some MKV files will play and others will not no matter which one you buy.

The problem is more likely to be audio or video formats than any resolution issues.

The problem is there are far too many codecs. The whole
media world has gone completely mad IMO.

OK well I've only downloaded a few to test (I'm more interested in converting my own DVD's) but this one plays fine on my system - it also does forward and reverse search which is something I cant seem to get working.
However I have never seen an MKV that does chapters correctly so those dont work.

The full downloaded MKV working file format is as follows:

complete name : C:\MKV-Files\test01.mkv
Format : Matroska
Format version : Version 2
File size : 12.0 GiB
Duration : 1h 56mn
Overall bit rate : 14.8 Mbps
Encoded date : UTC 2011-10-25 22:32:06
Writing application : mkvmerge v5.0.1 ('Es ist Sommer') built on Oct 9 2011 11:55:43
Writing library : libebml v1.2.2 + libmatroska v1.3.0
Video
ID : 1
Format : AVC
Format/Info : Advanced Video Codec
Format profile : [email protected]
Format settings, CABAC : Yes
Format settings, ReFrames : 5 frames
Codec ID : V_MPEG4/ISO/AVC
Bit rate : 13.3 Mbps
Width : 1 920 pixels
Height : 816 pixels
Display aspect ratio : 2.35:1
Frame rate : 23.976 fps
Color space : YUV
Chroma subsampling : 4:2:0
Bit depth : 8 bits
Scan type : Progressive
Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 0.353
Stream size : 10.6 GiB (88%)
Title : test01
Writing library : x264 core 116 r2074 2641b9e
Encoding settings : cabac=1 / ref=5 / deblock=1:0:0 / analyse=0x3:0x133 / me=umh / subme=10 / psy=1 / psy_rd=1.00:0.00 / mixed_ref=1 / me_range=16 / chroma_me=1 / trellis=2 / 8x8dct=1 / cqm=0 / deadzone=21,11 / fast_pskip=0 / chroma_qp_offset=-2 / threads=18 / sliced_threads=0 / nr=0 / decimate=1 / interlaced=0 / bluray_compat=0 / constrained_intra=0 / bframes=3 / b_pyramid=2 / b_adapt=1 / b_bias=0 / direct=1 / weightb=1 / open_gop=0 / weightp=2 / keyint=250 / keyint_min=23 / scenecut=40 / intra_refresh=0 / rc_lookahead=40 / rc=2pass / mbtree=1 / bitrate=13253 / ratetol=1.0 / qcomp=0.60 / qpmin=0 / qpmax=69 / qpstep=4 / cplxblur=20.0 / qblur=0.5 / ip_ratio=1.40 / aq=1:1.00
Language : English
Audio
ID : 2
Format : DTS
Format/Info : Digital Theater Systems
Codec ID : A_DTS
Bit rate mode : Constant
Bit rate : 1 510 Kbps
Channel(s) : 6 channels
Channel positions : Front: L C R, Side: L R, LFE
Sampling rate : 48.0 KHz
Bit depth : 24 bits
Compression mode : Lossy
Stream size : 1.23 GiB (10%)
Title : test01_DTS
Language : English
Menu #1
00:00:00.000 : en:Chap01
Menu #2
00:30:00.000 : en:Chap02
00:00:00.000 : en:(unnamed)
Menu #3
01:00:00.000 : en:Chap03
Menu #4
01:30:00.000 : en:Chap04

I have exactly the same shortlist. I want a 3d blu ray player around £100ish pounds with good upscaling and allows me to stream a range of video files.

The panasonic seems good when it comes to playing video files over dnla but everyone says it is weak on upscaling.

The sony 480 is good on upscaling it seems and has good internet tv to boot, but from what people say, it seems to be unable to play many common video formats.

As far as the lg bd6600 I wonder if this might be the better option. It seems like it has good file compatibility over dnla and upscaling seems good enough. Is this the one to go for? There don't seem to be many reviews for this one. Some things I have read indicate that it isn't actually very good at playing blu rays.

Last edited:
The panasonic seems good when it comes to playing video files over dnla but everyone says it is weak on upscaling.

'Everyone' doesn't know what he's talking about.
:rolleyes:

I have exactly the same shortlist. I want a 3d blu ray player around £100ish pounds with good upscaling and allows me to stream a range of video files.

The sony 480 is good on upscaling it seems and has good internet tv to boot, but from what people say, it seems to be unable to play many common video formats.

As far as the lg bd6600 I wonder if this might be the better option. It seems like it has good file compatibility over dnla and upscaling seems good enough. Is this the one to go for? There don't seem to be many reviews for this one. Some things I have read indicate that it isn't actually very good at playing blu rays.

Upscaling is not a concern if you have a half decent tv, since all tvs scale the image to fit the screen.

Sorry, didn't mean to offend xit2050 regarding panasonic's upscaling abilities, my impression is purely based on comments made, but it can be difficult to work out the truth when opinions are contradictory.

This is my first blu ray player after buying a new tv. I am still stuck in the land of crt and dvd.

I have just bought a samsung ps51d5500 hd 3d tv. I have no blu rays and not much intention of building a blu ray library but loads of dvds and divx, xvid files. Are you are telling me that the blu ray player's upscaling ability is irrelevant and I can just rely on the tv to play divx and dvd and upscale them? If that is the case, I question whether I even need a blu ray player. I could play dvds in my current dvd player and have them upscaled by my tv the same as a blu ray player, and have the tv upscale my torrent files as well. I had the impression that a blu ray player would do it better but maybe that is wrong.

Some Blu-ray players, Sony included, make a fine job of upscaling DVDs. However, if playing Blu-rays is not a requirement, there is no need to buy a BR player, although the majority of Blu-rays look superb and you have a future-proofed machine to boot.

Assuming you already have a hdmi enabled dvd player there is no reason to think a bluray player would be any better at playing dvds.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom