1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

BD801s Problem with RGB input

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by JMPremier, Oct 5, 2004.

1. JMPremier

JMPremier
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have got a BD801s and it works fine with the composite video input and the s-video input.
    I have made a lead up for my Cable Digibox (pace) using RGB and Composite pins, I have selected RGB output for my box.
    I have connected the leads to port 4/5 of the barco. RGB to the RGB BNCs and the composite to the comp/H sync BNC.
    I get nothing if I select input 5 (RGBS) but sometimes get a picture if I select input 4 (RGsB) although most of the time the picture is on it is rolling or slightly collapsing at the sides.
    What is likely to be wrong?
    The cables are approx 10m long.
    When it comes on it shows Source 4, 15.6KHz, but the other figure fluctuates from 34Hz/50Hz/61Hz

Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

John

2. orlando furioso

orlando furioso

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm not very technical, but just for troubleshooting purposes: assuming you have the appropriate cable, do you get a signal when you connect a computer VGA source to source 4 or 5, (and if so, at which resolutions/scan rates)? Not sure what kind of output your Cable Digibox has (me = stupid american.

I've recently had some success with my Barco RG 801s connected to the VGA outs of the ViewSonic N5 video processor, but they call this model something different over there with your PAL.

3. JMPremier

JMPremier
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I havent tried a computer on it yet, that was going to be the next step.
    I'll knock a lead up and try it later.

John

4. BeerDrinker

BeerDrinker
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I have seen similar posts and some very good technical replies in the past. Perhaps a search will help.
    If the lead you have made up is using the RGB from the scart connector in the Pace then I believe the problem will be that the signals are only about 0.3v Peak to peak from a scart and your Barco is crying out for a good 1v PtoP signal.
    There are commercially available scarts with amplifiers built into the scart plug to do the job (Think they are called 'Syncblasters').
    I am sure somebody else will reply with a more technical and full answer.
    (Or tell me I am talking complete nonsense :blush: )
    Regards

Bob.

5. sinbrad

sinbrad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Currently have my SKY+ digibox connected to my 801s using basic scart to bnc (3 x rgb + 1 comp/horz sync) and select input 5 or 95 for 16:9 with no problems at all. I don't want to teach you to suck eggs but would suggest checking your cable to make sure everything is coming from/going to the right outputs/inputs and no crossed wires? Extra expense for syncblaster may not be needed

6. JMPremier

JMPremier
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks sinbad, no offence taken, I luuuuuuvvvvvv eggs ;)

I have checked and double checked the cables and they are fine.

I do think its a sync level problem though because the composite video lead (used for sync on rgb) works fine for 99% of the time but there are a couple of video's that just wont sync when using the projector but work fine on the tv :confused:

The syncblaster might be the way forward.

John

7. sinbrad

sinbrad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No probs, just thought it a bit strange that my setup is very basic and it works. Maybe it's more than just the cable? Is this the first time you have attempted to connect the PJ in this way ie rgb via bnc? Maybe the more technically minded people on this forum can give you a point in the right direction. A good site if you don't know is the crtprojectors.co.uk as they have a FAQ on Barco and other PJ's. Also just to let you know I have my pc connected via port 3 on the 801s and it works a treat, this way you don't have to worry about positive and negative sync and having to install third party software programmes to get past this. There is also a wiring diagram on the site that I have already mentioned.

8. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,802
    You can probably get sync on green from your scart lead to stop the rolling collapsing. If you do a search for posts by me from around 2001/2002 I am sure I posted how to do this by putting a resistor from composite to G signal at scart end. Think it was 50 ohm but not sure. This might save some dosh and get it working just now.

Gordon

9. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,802
  10. crispybig

crispybig

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Hi Gordon,

Did you ever confirm that 50 ohm is OK? Or is there anything better (maybe with a diode or something)?

I want to try a similar thing but into a NEC 6PG.

Thanks

Chris

11. Barcoing Mad

Barcoing Mad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +164
    John P - Looks like you're using an interlaced input.

If budget and enthusiasm allow consider acquiring a scaler, or using a PC with decent quality capture card with the VGA o/p going to port 5 (-ve syncs), or port 3.
    If you have a decent PC, then a few quid + DScaler can provide very pleasing performance.