BD800 focus Problem

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Orbital, Oct 27, 2001.

1. Orbital

Orbital

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Hi All,

I'm having difficulty in getting my Barco Data 800 focused properly. I've gone through the installation manual but I just can get the damn thing to focus accurately. Any ideas would be much appreciated.

Cheers

Dave

2. Roland @ B4

Roland @ B4

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    Asuming that you have done all the machanical fcusing required.
    Sorry to be pedantic but others are reading too.Rear wing nut adjusts centre focus and front does the corners

You will need to tweek the elctostatic focus.

Open the cover and standing to the rear of the projector with it hung from the ceiling on the left side you see 2 rows of RGB knobs. The ones you want I'm sure are marked focus but the are the lower ones (ie away from the ceiling). Careful of those red wires the have quite a large voltage running through.

Go into the Random access menu and sellect and select a PAL 15Khz internal pattern. it will be all out of convergence and shape don't worry.

Turn the brightness down but keep the contast reasonable you need no blooming at all.
    Go to select colour and indiviually for RED, GREEN and BLUE gently adjust the electonic focus knobs. You will probably have to do your manual focus again.

I'm afraid this will bugger up your convergence settings.

Hope that helps let us know if it worked.

3. Orbital

Orbital

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Sometimes Roland I could nearly kiss you!!! But I'm not the way inclined so a "thanks a lot" will have to do :D

Cheers

Dave

4. squid

squid
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    you have to look in to the tubes to do this don't you roland . you do this to get the image focused on the tube face befor you do the machanical focus .

i think it a good idear for anyone to check to make sure the image is in focus on the tube face befor anything else . no amount of messing with lenses is gona get a perfect pic if the actual tube is way out of focus .

i had a real prob with my blue being way out of focus (you never know what the people who had the pj befor you have been up to). if the focus is uneven from top to bottom it could be scemflug (i wish i could spell) if it is i'm sure roland can help you get that sorted:)

5. squid

squid
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i would just like to add .

don't go looking in the lenses with the contrast high . may be a good idear to ware sunglasses . this is if you actualy want to see for the rest of the day;)

6. Orbital

Orbital

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Thanks Roland/Squid,

That's done the trick :D and I also managed not to singe my retina's at the same time so good job all-round really.

I have got a few other problems that you might be able to help me with. The first is when you have to line up the crosshairs in the installation menu. I've loosened the bolts it asks you to in the manual but I can't seem to get the crosshairs to line up exactly. Is there some order in which you undo and then re-tighten the bolts to get the thing to stop smack in the right place?

The other thing is to do with the HTPC I've just connected. When I was using my Sony DVD player a proper 16:9 DVD like Bugs Life filled my 16:9 screen spot on, but now I'm using the HTPC it's only filling a strip across the middle. Now I know I could alter the projected image to fill the screen but when I then come out of PowerDVD my desktop would be overhanging the top and bottom yes? How do I go about getting around this as I'm a bit stumped at the moment?

Thanks again for all your help it really is much appreciated.

Cheers

Dave

7. squid

squid
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    you need to set up a widescreen resolution fron the hcpc .800x600, 1024x768 are 4:3 resolutions so if you are using one of those power dvd will think you have a 4:3 pic and squeez the widescreen down like it would on a 4:3 tv .

you may need to use somthing like powerstrip to set a custom resolution

i'm sure roland can tell you the exact proceadure for doing the toe in

8. Orbital

Orbital

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Right, I've got a copy of Powerstrip what resolution should I set for widescreen?

Cheers

Dave

9. squid

squid
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    depends on the speet spot of the projector

if you are happy with the resolution you have now .leave the vert res as it is and increase the hor res up to a 16:9 aspect

widescreen resolutions are not realy my thing (i have a 4:3 screen) say though if you are using 1024x768 you could go to 1365x768 or if 800x600 go to 1066x600 this would give you a 16:9 res

you may be better asking the question over at the hcpc forum though :)

10. Orbital

Orbital

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Thanks Squid,

I think I will ask this question in the HCPC fourm, can't do any harm can it ! :D

Cheers

Dave

11. Roland @ B4

Roland @ B4

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32

You could do this but if you rock between the two due to the magnification of the lens you will get much closer. as you say looking down the lens of a projector is a bit risky.

As regards the sweet spot for a BD800 I would suggest 800x600 in anamorphic mode. I.E with the vertical height reduced. Don't worry if the setting has to come down to nearly 0

On a CRT increasing the horzontal pixels does not have a huge benifit it is the vertical lines that matter the most. But if it works for you then go for it.

12. squid

squid
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    yes but 800x600 is a 4:3 resolution so he would get the effect he is discribing . the pc would think he is using a 4:3 screen so everything would be squashed

becouse the hor res don't mater too much to what it is to the projector would it be ok for him to run it in somthing like 1066x600 . this would keep the vert sweetspot but the pc would know that it was widscreen so everything would come out in the corect resolution for his 16:9 screen .

if run in 800x600 on his 16:9 screen he would get black bars at the top and bottom of a 16:9 image . unless he used somthing like xyx (i think that's what it's called)

pluss if he put it in a correct 16:9 pixle aspect then he would get any 4:3 stuff in the correct ratio in the midle of his 16:9 screen . this is what i would do . then there are less setting to be done on the pj itself (a lot easyer when setting it up yourself)

13. Roland @ B4

Roland @ B4

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    The only thing I can think that would be afected would be the desk top would be the desk top which is not the reason you are using a HCPC.

As I said to a CRT projector it makes no differnce, the DVD software will fill the screen. You set your projector to fill your 16x9 screen.

If you tried 1066 or 800 horzontal pixcels on a BD800 I bet you couldn't see the difference. If act you might even be better to go to 720 or 1440 horzontal because that will save the PC having to perform the calculations. being direct multile of the DVD format.
    Because CRT is a scanning technology horizontal picels will turn into a series of dashes not dots.

The most important factor is not to get the vertical lines to overlap