BD60: DVD 4:3 aspect ratio problem?

EssCeeUK

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello all,
I've just bought a BD60 from Richer Sounds and having a problem when it comes to viewing DVD that are in 4:3 aspect ratio.

I set the BD60 to output HDMI/720p (native resolution of my Panasonic TX32-LXD500) and set TV aspect to 16:9. Inserting a 4:3 disc i.e. ST:TNG Season 1/Disc 1 or X-Files Season 1/Disc 1 results 4:3 back the vertical bars are white instead of black (actually, they are black for about a second then go white). I've performed a FW update to the latest version (1.5) and the issue remains. The problem is also present on a Sony KDL-37P3020 with the same effect (setting player to both 720p and 1080i). Seeing as my old Pioneer DVD player would output 4:3 with black bars ok it's either a firmware issue or faulty unit.
DSC00083A.JPG

Secondly, when play a BD disc the player is silent. Playing a DVD (i've tried 3 separate discs) have a high pitched whine/whistle while spinning. Anyone else noticed?
Looking forward to your comments and suggestions. :lease:
Simon.

Hello all,
I've just bought a BD60 from Richer Sounds and having a problem when it comes to viewing DVD that are in 4:3 aspect ratio.

I set the BD60 to output HDMI/720p (native resolution of my Panasonic TX32-LXD500) and set TV aspect to 16:9. Inserting a 4:3 disc i.e. ST:TNG Season 1/Disc 1 or X-Files Season 1/Disc 1 results 4:3 back the vertical bars are white instead of black (actually, they are black for about a second then go white). I've performed a FW update to the latest version (1.5) and the issue remains. The problem is also present on a Sony KDL-37P3020 with the same effect (setting player to both 720p and 1080i). Seeing as my old Pioneer DVD player would output 4:3 with black bars ok it's either a firmware issue or faulty unit.

DSC00083A.JPG

Secondly, when play a BD disc the player is silent. Playing a DVD (i've tried 3 separate discs) have a high pitched whine/whistle while spinning. Anyone else noticed?
Looking forward to your comments and suggestions. :lease:
Simon.

As regards the grey side panels, this is either being done by the tv or more likely by the 'Screensaver' being set to 'On' in the 'Display Menu' on the Blu-ray player.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom