BD:VC1 for next wave of Warner titles.

tazpc

Novice Member
Except FMJ
From another forum site.

Nic Rhodes

A welcome development, add a few more audio codecs to a player and I will be in.

StooMonster

Sony using Microsoft's VC1 format? Aren't they more likely to use H.264 as their next-gen codec?

StooMonster

lfletcher

Its not Sony though, it's Warner Brothers. CJPlay over at AVS has said for quite some time that Warner would start to release all titles in VC-1 across both formats so as not to favour one over the other.

AML

Nic Rhodes said:
A welcome development, add a few more audio codecs to a player and I will be in.
The PS3 appears to support DTS HD, as well as True HD.
Still no amps for it though :(

tazpc

Novice Member
StooMonster said:
Sony using Microsoft's VC1 format? Aren't they more likely to use H.264 as their next-gen codec?

StooMonster

VC1 is one of the mandatory codecs for both formats. It is up to the studios to decide.

AML

Nic Rhodes said:
Isn't that the standard DTS logo?
Thats what I thought, but it does have the swirl normaly used for the new DTS lossles codec, as well as some writing underneath.
Hard to make out, but it looks like "Master Audio"

But, right enough, the "HD" bit is missing. Could just be that its a different color or shade which matches the color of this PS3 and isnt shown in this pic. Or the pic isnt the final product.

Nic Rhodes

Thanks, problem of a fast moving forum, I'm struggling to keep up and do a day job ;)

StooMonster

lfletcher said:
Its not Sony though, it's Warner Brothers.
I was refering to Rasczak's post (the one immediately above mine) not the thread in general.

tazpc said:
VC1 is one of the mandatory codecs for both formats. It is up to the studios to decide.
Yes, we all know that MPEG-2, VC-1 and H.264 are mandatory codecs on both formats.

My post was querying whether Sony (Pictures) would use Microsoft's VC-1 codec or use H.264 when they choose a next-gen codec, for strategic reasons (i.e. their ongoing war with Microsoft).

StooMonster

tazpc

Novice Member
StooMonster said:
I was refering to Rasczak's post (the one immediately above mine) not the thread in general.

Yes, we all know that MPEG-2, VC-1 and H.264 are mandatory codecs on both formats.

My post was querying whether Sony (Pictures) would use Microsoft's VC-1 codec or use H.264 when they choose a next-gen codec, for strategic reasons (i.e. their ongoing war with Microsoft).

StooMonster
Misunderstood you:)

Rasczak

Distinguished Member
Its not Sony though, it's Warner Brothers
Yes I read the article. What I was implying in my post is that it'd be good if a studio like Sony started releasing their titles in VC1 (or AVP).

lfletcher

I was replying to StooMonsters post, but hadnt read your's properly (didnt notice the bit about Sony adopting VC-1). Looks like I need some reading glasses. :oops:

Cant see Sony holding onto mpeg2 much longer if the other studios adopt VC-1 or AVC. Would imagine they'll go for AVC though.

StooMonster

When did AVC ("Advanced Video Coding") start to be general use term relacing H.264? Must've missed that, I still refer to this codec as H.264 or MPEG-4 Part 10. :)

From Wikipedia change history, I see the H.264/MPEG-4 Part 10 started to have AVC added back in February 2006: answered my own question!

There must be a law to use TLA.

StooMonster

Rasczak

Distinguished Member
When did AVC ("Advanced Video Coding") start to be general use term relacing H.264? Must've missed that, I still refer to this codec as H.264 or MPEG-4 Part 10.
AVC is more user friendly than H.264 which sounds like it's either a drug or a planet. MPEG4 Part 10 sounds like some tedious Sunday morning serial :lesson: :)

StooMonster

Someone should tell ATi, nVidia, Apple, etc. they all still use H.264 :lesson: ;)

StooMonster

Jimbo73

As Sony use AVC for the PSP and UMD's I would have thought it was a foregone conclusion?

Rasczak

Distinguished Member
As Sony use AVC for the PSP and UMD's I would have thought it was a foregone conclusion?
It's just a question of how advanced/ready are their AVC encoders. Hopefully they are almost there and then we can start to enjoy some decent BluRay titles.

Ian_S

Distinguished Member
Nic Rhodes said:
I could live with VC-1 and PCM... If the choice were PCM in 16/48 or something compressed and 24/48 though... well roll on those extra codecs.

lfletcher

Just a little update to confirm the rumours. FMJ is MPEG2 and the rest are VC-1. Also confirmed by Amir and he had this to say,

"Our current tool generates a stream that the Toshiba MUX tool can use to create an HD DVD. We have written a simple converter that takes the same streams and formats it in a way that the Sony Mux tool can use to do the same for BD. So the process is lossless and pure conversion.

We wish the conversion wasn't necessary but we were not consulted in the specification of VC-1 stream in BDA and some small differences got in there. And hence the need for the tool. It is a minor thing though as the expensive part is encoding/optimization."

So any differences are likely to be Toshiba/Samsung based.

Rasczak

Distinguished Member
Also confirmed by Amir and he had this to say,

"Our current tool generates a stream that the Toshiba MUX tool can use to create an HD DVD. We have written a simple converter that takes the same streams and formats it in a way that the Sony Mux tool can use to do the same for BD. So the process is lossless and pure conversion.
This is good news indeed - and confirms the reality that we will probably see many releases from 'dual' studios encoded in VC1 in order to fit a BD25/HD DVD30. Hopefully the (alleged) easy to trasnfer will push more studios to VC1 - especially as format 'exclusive' studios reconsider their position.

richard plumb

Rasczak said:
This is good news indeed - and confirms the reality that we will probably see many releases from 'dual' studios encoded in VC1 in order to fit a BD25/HD DVD30. Hopefully the (alleged) easy to trasnfer will push more studios to VC1 - especially as format 'exclusive' studios reconsider their position.

It also allows the studios to keep the advantages of working with MS on VC1 encoding and not have to relearn that for Bluray.

lfletcher

Well the reviews are in and according the highdefdigest they're all pretty much identical

Blazing Saddles http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/blazingsaddles.html

"The transfer offers a noticeable upgrade versus the standard DVD release, and is an equal in quality to the HD DVD."

Firewall http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/firewall.html

"As far as the Blu-ray goes, you do get a nice transfer and soundtrack, and extras that are as formulaic as the film. I also could not detect any apparent video or audio differences versus the HD DVD, so it's another point-set-match for the those keeping tabs on the format war."

Lethal Weapon http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/lethalweapon.html

"It is not really a vastly superior upgrade compared to the standard DVD, and going head-to-head with the HD DVD, the Blu-ray version looks identical."

Full Metal Jacket http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/fullmetaljacket.html

"As for this new Blu-ray release, it doesn't offer much of an upgrade over the standard DVD, let alone the HD DVD -- in fact, they look and sound exactly the same."