BD player for my folks!

marcaass

Standard Member
Hi

My folks have got an LG LCD TV, couple of years old, and I want to buy them a BD player for Christmas.

I am not looking for the most technological advanced player out there, they do not have a home cinema system, so looking for a fairly basic player.

They do have a wireless Router if connecting for updates is an issue

Please can you guys and gals give me some advise on which player to get.....budget is under £100.

thanks

Marcus

skk3

Last edited:

Karlin

Either of those 2 above would be my choice.

Basic, simple, upgradeable (and they get upgrades) and they're very popular machines (so problems and potential problems are ironed out sharpish). This all means you get an easier life.

spanky2k

Jumping on the thread-wagon here a bit. Can anyone confirm that either of these two players can output video via HDMI and have audio go out through phono plugs?

We want to get the fiancée's parents a bluray player. They've got an older LCD TV that's got DVI input and phono inputs that we'd want to use.

Karlin

Clean Amazon link for the Panasonic www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0039MJ5IY/ (choose the Amazon one £89.99 and free delivery).

Amazon Sony www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0038M1UTW

I like Play.com but the only electrical item I'd buy from them would be a USB xmas tree.

Amazon's price goes up and down like a whore's knickers so pop it in your basket and visit the site once or twice. It's been sub £100 twice in the last week alone.

Both are very solid bits of kit.

Karlin

Jumping on the thread-wagon here a bit. Can anyone confirm that either of these two players can output video via HDMI and have audio go out through phono plugs?
Yes, was asked about the Sony and confirmed it by trying it every possible way and it works.

Not entirely sure about the DVI (video only as you know) because these were competing formats originally so you may have problems.

I doubt it but it's possible.

HDMI to DVI cable if you need one http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B001TH7T2U/

spanky2k

Thanks Karlin,

I'm not too worried about the DVI part since HDMI is signal compatible with DVI. HDCP might be an issue although I'm 80% sure the TV is HDCP compatible (was quoted as such in some adverts but is a discontinued TV and I can't find much mention of it elsewhere). Worst case scenario, they can only watch films in SD but it means they can borrow our blurays which is the main purpose of this all. I'm hoping to buy a new TV for ourselves anyway in the next few months and they've already said they'd buy our current one off us if we do upgrade.

Cheers for the cable link too - the only HDMI-DVI cable I've got spare is 20m long!

Scott_Mac

Agreed the Sony is also worth considering, but is indeed over budget... plus factor in the free film for the Panasonic and given the little difference between them i'd personally opt for that.

As for the DVI question - does it have Component, that could be a 'better' worst case if so...

marcaass

Standard Member
thanks for the advice on the pany and Sony.......and if i was feeling a little more scrooge?.....say the £80 mark......(hangs head in shame)

marcaass

Standard Member
I bought the Samsung BD-P1580 for myself last year for £80 and it has been excellent, but it seems way more expensive this year! Can anyone suggest an alternative to the ones below at this price range?

thanks

Marcus

Scott_Mac

The Panasonic i linked to above... £89.99 with a free copy of Avatar. There aren't any really cheaper, and for the quality of it, it's about the best bet... IMO it's one of the best budget players around anyway!

marcaass

Standard Member
Scot, I looked at Amazon and they said 1-3 months delievery so i guess it was not in stock, i even emailed them to confirm. I checked again and its back in stock so all sorted.

Thanks for the advice.

Marcus

Top Bottom