BD player 1080p24 passthru' to Lumagen HDP and 1080p24 out

tausifs

Is anyone using a BD player's 1080p24 output to a Lumagen HDP (and getting 1080p24 passthrough )? If so, then which BD player are you using ?

On the Lumagen website, it says how to acheive this with a Sony BD S1E player:

http://www.lumagen.com/testindex.php?module=faq_vis
(see 'Q: How do the EDID settings work?')

Is it possible to do it with other BD players that are capable of outputting 1080p24 (or HD-DVD players for that matter )?

I want to avoid the Lumagen having to deinterlace 1080i .

I think it would be better for it to passthrough the 24p from a BD player, provided the player reads it straight off the disc that way.

My display is a HD80 PJ which can only display 24p if it is forced.

I do not want to use a PS3 or a Samsung BDP1400 both of which can force 24p, which is why I ask

Avi

Distinguished Member
Is anyone using a BD player's 1080p24 output to a Lumagen HDP (and getting 1080p24 passthrough )? If so, then which BD player are you using ?

On the Lumagen website, it says how to acheive this with a Sony BD S1E player:

http://www.lumagen.com/testindex.php?module=faq_vis
(see 'Q: How do the EDID settings work?')

Is it possible to do it with other BD players that are capable of outputting 1080p24 (or HD-DVD players for that matter )?

I want to avoid the Lumagen having to deinterlace 1080i .

I think it would be better for it to passthrough the 24p from a BD player, provided the player reads it straight off the disc that way.

My display is a HD80 PJ which can only display 24p if it is forced.

I do not want to use a PS3 or a Samsung BDP1400 both of which can force 24p, which is why I ask

In theory it should work with most players that support 1080p/24 if you set the EDID correctly (I know in reality some don't). The Sony S300 worked with 1080p/24 into the HPD. Unless you set the scaling to "passthrough" mode the Lumagen will still process a 1080p image. This process applies a small amount of filtering and can make the image look a little softer whilst also eliminating some noise with 1080p input.

The HPD will force your PJ to 1080p/24 as the HDP's output is determined by your settings not input EDID. I'm still amazed at the 1080i/60 image quality from the A1 then output at 1080p/24.

AVI

Avi

Distinguished Member
I think we may all be surprised by the amount of processing that takes place in the player even with 1080p/24 "direct". Just because the output res/freq appears similar to what's encoded doesn't mean each bit bypasses the players processing and just appears at the output. If the player output "straight off the disc" without processing you wouldn't get an image.

Done properly some of the best images I've observed have been from film material transmitted at 1080i/60 and converted to 1080p/24 for display. :)

AVI

NicolasB

Distinguished Member
With the Lumagen locked into film mode the output (when it's fed 1080i/60) should be a perfect reconstruction of the original 1080p/24. And the Lumagen is less likely to get muddled if it's set up like this. I get the impression there may still be one or two bugs to iron out when dealing with 1080p/24 input.

tausifs

I think we may all be surprised by the amount of processing that takes place in the player even with 1080p/24 "direct". Just because the output res/freq appears similar to what's encoded doesn't mean each bit bypasses the players processing and just appears at the output. If the player output "straight off the disc" without processing you wouldn't get an image.

Done properly some of the best images I've observed have been from film material transmitted at 1080i/60 and converted to 1080p/24 for display. :)

AVI
how would you say the sony s300 at 24p compared to your hd-a1 that way then, pq wise ? was it as good ? may be hard to do unless you can compare the same movie, but what would you say ?

btw, i am using the hd-a1 with the lumagen and imo too, it is a benchmark.

Avi

Distinguished Member
how would you say the sony s300 at 24p compared to your hd-a1 that way then, pq wise ? was it as good ? may be hard to do unless you can compare the same movie, but what would you say ?

btw, i am using the hd-a1 with the lumagen and imo too, it is a benchmark.
No perceivable difference on the material I compared when both calibrated. I recently measured ref test patterns (colour, grayscale, gamma etc) from PS3 and HD-A1 via a Radiance. I used the AVS709 (blu-ray and HD DVD) material and the measured produced different results with the players configured as close as possible. It wasn't possible to a use a "single" calibration and achieve standard targets across both players. It is this that makes me wonder if some of the subtle differences perceived between players is down to calibration.

AVI

NonPayingMember

Previously Liam @ Prog AV
For all intents and purposes there is no PQ difference between 1080i60 --> 1080p24 and doing 1080p24 all the way. The Lumagen is excellent in this regard. One or two BD players don't 100% play ball with 1080p24 output either, so this is an easier rule of thumb to follow too!

The latest video from AVForums

The Best Netflix Movies and TV Shows Coming in October 2020. Tom's Thumbs.
Top Bottom