1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

BD 801s Setup Q?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by pegFACE, Nov 21, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pegFACE

pegFACE

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

After meeting Gordon over the weekend, and listening to what he said, I decided to do the final convergence on my Barco, So I went about getting it all cleaned off, a new start, thing is, I deleted a block in the user interface bitty, and know, well, the once nice 16:9 image that was square is basically the whole surface of the tube, not a small off centre'd rectangle it once was, and I wanted to straighten this up so my square was central and not off centre...

I know feel slightly over my head, and am wondering what to do...

I know how to get her focus'd right, and set the G2 up correctly, and the input from the HTPC is sorted, its really just the issue of sorting the rastering bit that I need some help with, and what is this block buisness all about

thanks

Michael

2. Old Projector

Old Projector

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi pegFACE
    I've done a short explanation of Barco adjustment blocks in my FAQ HERE which might help you some. Your 801 has 38 blocks so you probably don't need to delete one to create another. Go into copy a block mode and scroll through whats there and you'll know how meny have been used. You only have to delete a block to make another if all are full.
    Good luck!
    Henry

3. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,802
    If you've ZERO'd everything to mid points, put up a black image, turned contrast way down etc...and you can see the raster being used isn't centred on the face of the tubes, then ideally you want to physically move the raster to be centred on all tubes by using the centring magnets on the neck of the CRT.

They are usually the ones nearest the tube face. Ones further back do beamspot shape and focus. DON'T touch any of these though until Roland pops by to confirm this!!!!!!!

Start form scratch and do mechanical, then electronic.....

Cant hand around, busy today

Gordon

4. pegFACE

pegFACE

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Henry, your guide has helped me a lot, thanks very much!

Gordon, When you say centre the raster, I assume you mean centre the image to be exactly on the centre of each tube....

The problem at the moment is that I dont know where the centre is on the image, All i have is the setup images of the grids, should i set it to input 5, and put up a totally black image, and then centre it somehow, because at the moment, the image from the HTPC is taking over the whole of the screen, the total surface of the tubes....

hmmmmm

5. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,802
    No I don't mean centre the image. The raster is the ACTIVE area of the tube face. Think of it as a rectangle on the face of the tube.

The centring magnets move that around the tube face. Some projectors have electronic adjustment for this as well.

The image is then displayed within this "raster area". It has to be centred within the raster area after the raster is centred within the tube face. Get it, a rectangle within a rectangle within a rectangle.

To see the raster area, rather than the image itself you need to put contrast to 0 and turn brightness up, while displaying a very dark, almost black image. Look in to the tube face and you'll see the black image and then just outside it you should see the "active raster" area. Then you should see the unused tube face area around that.

Get this physical stuff done first and you should get better convergence, focus and geometry with less drift.

Gordon

6. pegFACE

pegFACE

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I now see ya

so how do I shrink my rectange from covering the full size of the tube face and into a nice little small rectange

7. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,802
    There will be a "size","amplitude" control for geometry/registration which will reduce image size. Reducing raster size? Roland is the man for that. May be on a pot somewhere on a board.

I'll go to Barco's web site and download the manual see if I can help you out. Seeing clients tonight though so may have to wait till morning.

Gordon

8. pegFACE

pegFACE

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers Gordon, i guess i'll wait for rolands reply

9. Roland @ B4

Roland @ B4

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    I personally wouldn't touch the 4pole and 6pole magnets on the tubes unless all else fails.

(Actually could be rather fun cos this projector has been arcing over recently and he'll soon find out where it came from really quickly!)

Fortunalty your projector has a better way of doing it.

First off reduce the H size and V size of your image untill it all fits on the CRT tube face.

Display a black bit of DVD in pause. (Every film has a section). Turn the Contrast down real low.
    Now turn up the brightness whilst looking down looking down the tube untill you can see the raster which will be bigger than the black video. this is the bit you are trying to centre.

Go to the Raster shift menu in Geometry and and for Red & blue set the left/right/up/down to 50. Open the projector, on the far side to the Power supply and the EHT leads are the two furtherst boards you are going to fiddle with. Very near the top are two very small blue boxes with a brass slotted screw.(not the ones with white adjusters) If memory surves me right the furthest board will do up down and the 2nd one will do left right. Use these to centre the raster you should just be able to see the raster and turn, if not find a friend.

there its done.

Use H Phase to centre the picture on the screen.

You will probably have to toe the lenses in again beacuse you set them to the [+] in install with the image that was off.

Provided you've got the geometry right you can now go ahead and converge.

good luck

10. pegFACE

pegFACE

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Right, it only took 5hrs and 45mins, but its done...

I had to send the lads home who came around tonight, the excuse "i'm converging my projector" went down as well as "i'm washing my hair"

Anyway, I deleted all the blocks and set it to midposition, did the guided setup, and did all the buisness with the rastering, and behold, i've got a lovely rectangle nice and centre'd in my tube...

It took me about 3 goes, basically going through the guided bit again and again, till i was happy the image was perfect, so I can now see where the hundreds go when you get a person in to do it for you :)

I think this will be my final convergence untill the barco is moved again, as i've spent so much bleedin' time convergin it I dont want to SEE inside her again... I've even screwed her screws back in... :D

Oh and roland, it didnt arc once during the whole process, so I think we can safely assume its sorted the problem mate...

So alas, i'm off to watch true lies now.......

mmmmm jamie lee curtis...

god i'm rambling

cya!

11. Phil Hinton

Phil Hinton
    Editor Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,133
    Well done matey,

I would have never managed a set up of my 800 on my own, Roland will vouce for the fact i wasn't very estatic at having to learn how to converge when he was here. But i now know a great deal more on what to do.

Enjoy watching your DVD collection again in big screen glory.:D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.