BBQ - Cooking Techniques

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by WeegyAVLover, Aug 13, 2012.

1. WeegyAVLover

WeegyAVLover

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,808
    Hey All,

I have the old style BBQs, so no gas, which I prefer (although I do not turn my nose up at gas BBQ food). We recently move into our 2nd home but this is the first time we have had a garden to call our own. So previously any time I have had a BBQ has been with disposables or round at someone’s house.

Anyway due to the glorious weather we have had this year I have only been able to use it 3 times this year. However I am noticing an issue. While cooking the Charcoal (or Briquettes) slowly turn to ash and eventually fall to the bottom of the BBQ. There are four holes at the bottom of the BBQ that have a plate underneath this again which catch any falling ash, I assume these holes allow for air to circulate and to aid heating the charcoal as well as the food.

So I then get down to slapping on the sausages, burgers, chickens & steaks, etc, etc… As things are the grease starts dripping off and the flames start licking at the food (Christ I am getting hungry!) but that grease then falls to the bottom and mixes with the ash.

Finally I usually leave cleaning the BBQ until next day due to the heat. But, and here lies my issue, I find that the ash and grease are welded to the bottom of the BBQ and nothing short of a sharp edged scrapper is going to remove it.

Does anyone have any techniques on how to minimise the fuss of cleaning?
    I have had thoughts of putting tin foil on the bottom and cutting holes/slits in bottom where holes are to allow the air to circulate but not sure this will work as well in practice as I think in theory…?

Anyone tried the above or got any tips on how to make life easier?

Cheers
    Col

2. tonyrees687

tonyrees687

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +433
    Clean the BBQ when its hot just after cooking. As all the oils and food residue will just wipe off the hot surfaces. A good wire brush will sort out the grill and then the same beneath. It might take 5 mins to do this and I know you don't want to be doing this just before eating but its the best way. Anyway most BBQ food can take a rest for 5mins while you clean it. And you have a nice clean BBQ for the next culinary extravaganza.

3. nonumb

nonumb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +339
    Are you using lump wood charcoal or the briquettes? I find the briquettes absolutely awful for ash!

4. WeegyAVLover

WeegyAVLover

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,808
    Thanks for advice... Very much appreciated. However nothing... Absolutely nothing will stop me eating food straight away when it is ready of BBQ..

But thanks again

5. WeegyAVLover

WeegyAVLover

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,808
    Briquettes... Never used wood... Does that not give off way more smoke using wood?

6. nonumb

nonumb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +339
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2012
  7. dred

dred

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    Use mostly indirect heat... Put the coals on one side of the grill, with a drip pan next to them. Then put the food over the drip pan, and put a lid on