1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

BBFC and Farscape

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by DaveG, Jul 3, 2001.

1. DaveG

DaveG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Just read a review of Farscape series 2 and noticed that one of the discs was classified 18, expecting a hot alien sex orgy or a blood fest I was disapointed to find out that it was rated 18 because of a head but. This is the second film (that I know of) that the BBFC have re-classified due to a head but, the other film being The Mummy Returns.
    I know the BBFC have been relaxing their views recentely but this just seems ridiculous to give a Jim Henson puppet show an 18 certificate. What next, up rate
    Muppets in Space because Miss Piggy gives Kermit a Yosser.
    And yet on the other hand the BBFC down rates Terminator to a 15, which as far as I am concerned is far more violent than Farscape, so I suppose it's OK to shoot, stab and
    pulvarise someone, when your 15 but to head but someone you must be over 18. I know that sounds absurd but I think the BBFC is being absurd in this matter.

I know that the head but was removed from The Mummy Returns to enable it to have a 12 certificate, but what is strange is it being show in the trailers for the film.
    :confused:

2. adamhamilton

adamhamilton

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I agree, headbutting scenes were also removed from The Matrix.

3. PoochJD

PoochJD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,863
    Dave,

You said: "Just read a review of Farscape series 2 and noticed that one of the discs was classified 18, expecting a hot alien sex orgy or a blood fest I was disapointed to find out that it was rated 18 because of a head but."

The headbutt wasn't the only thing that caused the 18 certificate. The fairly graphic violence and gore was also taken into consideration, as was the context in which the characters appear. The reason I say this, is because as you watch "Farscape" from its origins right through to the middle of Season 2, you will see that several of the episodes contain head-butts and/or kicks to the midriff or neck. The BBFC counts this as "imitable techniques", hence the higher 15 or 18 categories.

I don't blame them, as whilst "Farscape" may have puppets in it, the show isn't actually meant for kids, or even aimed at kids! Yet, because it contains Rygel, everyone is assuming it's going to be nice and cuddly sci-fi like the original "Star Trek" where no one gets harmed, and there's no real violence.

In fact, "Farscape" is more along the likes of "Xena", "Lexx", "Buffy" and "Stargate SG-1" in its content: i.e. more hard-edged, stronger, adult-oriented issues, and more explicit in its content. However, the fact that the BBC edits it for a teatime showing (just as C4 does for "Angel") gives viewers the wrong idea that its kiddy fare, when it isn't at all!

Hope this helps dlarify the matter a bit.

Pooch