BBC's A Christmas Carol Review & Comments

Casimir Harlow

Movies Editor
Reaction score
Thanks for the review cas. Looking forward to this

Thanks Cas, I wouldn't have realised this was available without your review.
Seems like ideal Christmas Day binge viewing material to me.

Have got it on planner to catch up, had a quick look, why is it almost everything BBC HD looks so soft

i watched the first one and thought it was great, dark, moody and atmospheric. can't wait for the next 2.

Don't get me wrong,I have no problem with swearing on TV,but why drop the F word when I'm sure you will have whole families watching this together thinking it will be family friendly.To go with this,they make out that Scrooge was
>
interfered with as a child at boarding school
I guess the BBC wanted to bring it up to date,the only thing missing was some sex scenes
Having said all that,I have watched it,and thought it was pretty good with some good special effects.

Thanks for your help Garrett

Last edited:
Don't get me wrong,I have no problem with swearing on TV,but why drop the F word when I'm sure you will have whole families watching this together thinking it will be family friendly.To go with this,they make out that Scrooge [interfered with as a child at boarding school][/ISPOILER]
I guess the BBC wanted to bring it up to date,the only thing missing was some sex scenes:)
Having said all that,I have watched it,and thought it was pretty good with some good special effects.
It's being shown after the watershed. I'm sure they could have made it family friendly by basically ruining the whole point of it. It's not family viewing unless members of the family are at a certain age.

Last edited:
There really making Scrooge to be really evil not just a misery with money, hope it does not go where it implied just before part 2 ended.
having something sexual with Mrs Cratchit.
:nono:

BTW I enjoyed the original story of the Charles Dickens characters in Dickensian 3 years ago.

Don't get me wrong,I have no problem with swearing on TV,but why drop the F word when I'm sure you will have whole families watching this together thinking it will be family friendly.To go with this,they make out that Scrooge was
>
interfered with as a child at boarding school
I guess the BBC wanted to bring it up to date,the only thing missing was some sex scenes

Thanks for your help Garrett
This is not a family friendly version. I like the fact it's got a harder edge to it and is including subjects that are uncomfortable but have always gone on. There's plenty of other versions for families (Alistair Sim, Muppets) so the selling point of this is essentially Peaky Blinders does Dickens. And very well.

A dreadful attempt which would make Dickins turn in his grave. The best adaption of A Christmas Carol is still the Muppets version. Nothing else comes close.

My issue is this, portray Scrooge as so bad and so evil, why will we care if he gets redemption?

A dreadful attempt which would make Dickins turn in his grave. The best adaption of A Christmas Carol is still the Muppets version. Nothing else comes close.
Even Alastair Sim would be turning in his grave if he was alive today:rolleyes:

My issue is this, portray Scrooge as so bad and so evil, why will we care if he gets redemption?
Agree in the past versions I always took it Jacob Marley was the real skinflint and Scrooge was following in his footsteps getting every penny's worth out of everybody and being partly blind to its consequences. But this version knows most of the consequences and even actively does things evil and been said by Marley to be the worse of the two(although he would say that). So even if he does get redemption he still staind the lives of hundreds or people and have to become a huge philanthropist to come anywhere near to wipe out what he done before.

Apparently it lost 30% of viewers over night although catch up viewing figures have to come in. But been complaints about mumbling again.

BTW enjoying so far but the end could make or break it for me.

I see the lighting budget was just the one candle again !
They sent for 4 more but they came, back (due to the mumbling) with fork handles :rotfl:

I guess Fezziwig won't be appearing.

I'm all for a darker tone for A Christmas Carol but one has to ask the question in should pure evil be redeemed in the form of this Scrooge ? I'm hoping for a twisted surprise for this tale in the last episode . Would be in keeping .

They sent for 4 more but they came, back (due to the mumbling) with fork handles :rotfl:

I see the Christmas spirits have visited yourself :beer: .

Im glad its darker im sick of them remaking the same story and im not a fan of the others turned the muppets one off as it was dire, the Disney animated one was bearable. Ive not started this version so im hoping its better.

Wait, one more episode, there's a fair bit to cram in.

Cheers Cas, I've just watched the 2 episodes. Really enjoyed this, and the darker tonal feel. Its right up my miracle on 34th street :laugh:..seriously though, it's very watchable. Merry Christmas Cas.

Finished this tonight, was a bit dark but enjoyable. Love Guy Pearce.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom