BBCi Player

Nivek TT

Distinguished Member
I seem to remember that this was to come available to cable customers in AUgust. Well there are 2 days of August left now... where is it..?

m.stephens

Novice Member
Isn't the content what you should already have on the BBC bit of "Catch up TV on Demand". I can never work out what Virgin are up to with catch up TV as it seems decidedly empty for most channels a lot of the time.

The Windows BBCi player is only in beta test at the moment ( speaking as someone who has got it ).

Nivek TT

Distinguished Member
Its my understanding that there is a shed load of more content available via BBC's iPlayer than via Virgin's BBC service. Also, I remember reading talk of the menus being made to look like the BBC iPlayer.

m.stephens

Novice Member
The content is all a bit random really

Example Tuesday BBC2

Virgin catch Up

The Cosmos
Great British Journeys
Tribe
Gavin and Stacey
Newsnight

BBC iPlayer Beta test

Grumpy Old Women
Rick Stein's Mediterranean....
Talking Movies
Galapagos
Tribe
The Cosmos
National Treasures

plus some daytime TV which I can't be bothered to list

Some of the difference might be due to regional variation (I'm in Scotland) but the content in general doesn't tie up. The only way the textbased Virgin user interface could be made to look like graphical iPlayer one would be to get rid of all the Virgin STBs and give everyone a PC - which is basically what will happen in the long term.

I think autumn is when iPlayer software goes on general release.

m.stephens

Novice Member
I'm pretty sure that we were promised ITV catch up by now, though.

The stuff is already available on the itv.com website.

I didn't realise that they had catch up already running as the links to it are via the programme pages e.g. to watch the last month of Emmerdale ( someone must want to !) you need to go to the Emmerdale page which has preview clips and full episodes for everything already broadcast in the previous 30 days. PQ is acceptable - but not as good as their archived "Best of ITV" stuff which seems to be VHS quality - not bad as they are using direct streaming unlike BBC and C4 where you have to wait for a complete download using P2P.

ajnicho

Novice Member
I'm pretty sure that we were promised ITV catch up by now, though.

The stuff is already available on the itv.com website.

I didn't realise that they had catch up already running as the links to it are via the programme pages e.g. to watch the last month of Emmerdale ( someone must want to !) you need to go to the Emmerdale page which has preview clips and full episodes for everything already broadcast in the previous 30 days. PQ is acceptable - but not as good as their archived "Best of ITV" stuff which seems to be VHS quality - not bad as they are using direct streaming unlike BBC and C4 where you have to wait for a complete download using P2P.
It's not so easy though. BBC is funded by the TV Licence, Channel 4 is a non-profit organisation, LivingTV etc are all partly owned by VirginMedia and so they channels can easily offer their programs on VOD.

ITV would not get any revenue from adverstising as they are cut out and therefore won't pay them to offer their programmes on VOD.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Reported HDMI 2.1 bugs, Audiolab Amp & LG LED Projector reviews + Best of the Month
Top Bottom