BBCHD showing 'Enemy of the state'!

CrispyToast said:
was this a true HD movie (ie not scaled) then if there was no 5.1 sound track?
Anyone know for sure it was filmed with HD cameras.

Film is far higher quality than even HD, it would have to be, to be shown on a screen the size they are in cinemas.

otherwise the pixels would be the size of footballs.

so it was scaled, yes. But it would be in effect scaled down.

CrispyToast said:
Anyone know for sure it was filmed with HD cameras.

Hope not, much rather it was filmed with er...film.

Was it me or did the image looked slight squashed vertically althoug the video aspect ratio still looked correct (2.35:1).

What was the BBC's involvement with the production of the film?
I thought they were only showcasing BBC produces (or co produced) stuff.

It was excellent quality considering it was made six years ago. Good transfer.

Somehow though my SkyHD missed the last five minutes due to me being on live pause.. just as they were about to storm the Restaurant.. Luckily BBC1 had the news interruption and I could watch it on that...

..and to make the evening better I saw Sky showing By Dawns Early Light.. thats a film Ive wanted to see again for YEARS...

I thought Hotel Rwanda was a good looking HD picture for Sky Movies but when I compared it with this it was poor.
Have Sky commented on the fact that a film like this using 13% and looking really good where as a Sky Movies film using 6-7% (even new films) doesn't look as good. ?
I wonder how much space it would have used if it had 5.1.

I must admit, it was the best quality HD film i've seen so far (not got Sky Movies). And by quality I mean the transfer (as the movie is quite 'hollywood' unfortunately :smashin: )

It really brings HD home for you when you're watching it and you turn over and catch the SD BBC1 version and compare - and you sit there thinking 'I always thought the PQ was really rather good on BBC1!

It's like your own 'good' stereo - which you sit there picking faults in and then you go round to your mates and he has his Amstrad on and you think 'how can you listen to that? my stereo sounds far.....:devil:

You don't know what you've got 'til it's gone....

martmiller said:
Film is far higher quality than even HD, it would have to be, to be shown on a screen the size they are in cinemas.

otherwise the pixels would be the size of footballs.

so it was scaled, yes. But it would be in effect scaled down.

So does the BBC have a film copy or a digital copy of the film (ie HDDVD or Digital tape) that they play and transmit.

CrispyToast said:
So does the BBC have a film copy or a digital copy of the film (ie HDDVD or Digital tape) that they play and transmit.

I don't know for sure but I can't see them using film.

Just watching bourne supremacy on SKYHD 9 at the moment but it's not as good as it was on HDDVD.:(

hunts1uk said:
Just watching bourne supremacy on SKYHD 9 at the moment but it's not as good as it was on HDDVD.:(

Did you expect any different?
Given the economics of broadcast digital and realtime encoding (SD and HD) the idea that a HD movie would match a pre-recorded media version is highly unlikely.
Just as DVD looked better than 99.9% of the broadcast SD movies so HD-DVD and Blu-ray will look better than broadcast HD.

I've just finished watching it and was totally amazed by the quality. This was far better than anything Sky have shown so far. If only Sky could get their act into gear with the films. It is really frustrating that we are paying for a quality service and Sky are not doing it justice. I hope they take the lead from the BBC and start improving things sharpish.

Well make sure to send feedback to [email protected] or they won't know you're unhappy!

Kevo said:
It's probably the only Tony Scott film that I like.
You don't like Man On Fire?
Sacrilege !!!!

Oakleyspatz said:
You don't like Man On Fire?
Sacrilege !!!!

I like quite a few Tony Scott films, didn't like Man on Fire though.

Kevo said:
Was it me or did the image looked slight squashed vertically althoug the video aspect ratio still looked correct (2.35:1).
It wasn't just you, I thought the ratio wasn't quite right - people seemed too thin. It wasn't enough to make it the difference between the various broadcast ratios, but it wasn't quite right. The non-HD broadcast looked right, but of course was zoomed in to 16:9.

The overall picture was good, hopefully though the next time the BBC get the picture ratio right.

God, you're so fussy.;)

Have to say I never noticed it.
I was looking at bitrate though and it excelled there :smashin:

CrispyToast said:

I assume they have a HDCAM or HDCAM SR transfer!

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom