1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bbc3

Discussion in 'TV Show Forum' started by bobbles, Mar 21, 2003.

1. bobbles

bobbles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Why on earth does BBC 3 have a DOG.

We pay for it in the licence fee so why on earth do we have to put up with a DOG?

imagine if BBC1 had a DOG there would be uproar

I went on the site to try to find an email address to have a moan, they seem to listen to every other muppet when they complain about something. Most of website bulletin board was full of people moaning about it

yet they take no notice

there is no need :mad:

2. Hareraiser

Hareraiser

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The BBC is old fashioned so they won't take notice of a few malcontents moaning on a website but would probably take more notice of letters written to them.

3. Logo Hater

Logo Hater

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24

Don't count on it. I have written loads of letters about this, and like the emails, the response is to ignore it.

I hate Logos with a passion, hence my logon name, but despite the more than 5,500 signatures on the petition organised by this site. Despite the 1.350 members of Logo Free TV. Despite the results of the survey carried out by the Radio Times being forwarded to the BBC. The answer is always the same.

We need a Logo to help us navigate in a Multi Channel environment.

Make of that what you will, I perceive it as the BBC telling us to **** off.:thumbsdow :thumbsdow :thumbsdow :confused:

4. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    the BBC probably view your figures in a different light. Instead of the 5,500 people who signed the petition they were thinking more of the 9,000,000 who didn't.

Like every other commercial institution the BBC is driven by market forces and it isn't good enough to complain about something unless you stop using the services as well. If enough people refused to watch BBC or digital TV they would soon change their stance.

I am no lover of logos but there are far worse things happening in society to get hung up on rather than something relatively trivial.

5. bobbles

bobbles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    completely agree with you

but this is something that could so easily be sorted

sky etc well it is upto them

but BBC, they have no right to do this

6. Logo Hater

Logo Hater

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    Ian.

All broadcasters base their viewing figures on a relatively small sample of what they perceive to be a representative sample of their viewers. They assume that if 400 of their sample are watching, then that equates to probably 5,000,000 or so actual viewers. They will not however accept the premise that if their are 5,500 signatures in a petition that it represents many more actual people who like me despise the things.

There will always be a large number of people who are not aware that they could sign the petition, or of it's existance. There are large numbers of them who have no access to the internet and there will always be large numbers who even though they know they could sign it or join Logo Free TV, will not do so because they just don't want to bother. It does not mean they actualy like them.

I have to agree that with all the things going on in the world, it does seem like a relatively unimportant matter, but this is always subjective, what is and isn't important is purely individual choice.

If everyone was given a choice as to whether they could turn them off on their own television, how many people do you believe would keep them there. I would be amazed if anyone didn't turn them off. All I want is the choice as to whether or not they are there.:lesson:

7. Virgin Fairy

Virgin Fairy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Surely they could implement some sort of switchable logo system?Rather like the Press the Red Button Logo on Sky that you can get rid of by pressing Backup. If you want the logo leave it on, if not, then switch it off. This would be far better than having it forced upon us.:lesson:

8. Huey Clogg

Huey Clogg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It would be much more agreeable to have logo's shown during advert breaks so as not to spoil the enjoyment of the programmes. Even the BBc have breaks so they should really show them then, if they have to! :rolleyes:

9. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,044
    I would hardly watch channel 5, because of the logo, now its dropped it I watch it. But now find channel 4 has more or less permanently adopted the dreaded red dot also uses the T4 a lot of the time, hence I scarcely watch Ch4 now.

In all the letters I wrote to the BBC the have always replied, but out of courtesy I enclosed a self addressed stamped envelope.

10. Logo Hater

Logo Hater

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24

Five deserve the highest of praise for ditching their Logo, it has without doubt made their channel much more attractive to lots of potential viewers, and the noticable increase in viewer numbers should be a lesson for everyone else.

No-one could be in any doubt that they are watching Five, the name of the channel appears on screen momentarily between each advert and at every programme break. This is an example to others of what is acceptable to viewers. :clap:

I have seen numerous people on forums and message boards write that the Red Dot is removable by pressing Back Up on the remote. Yes it is, but not if you are watching on Freeview. :suicide:

Just out of curiosity, did the BBC reply to your letters. The reply I received to one of mine was full of what I would describe as stretching credulity a touch. I found myself unable to agree with the conclusions they had arrived at, based on information I thought was fact. Perhaps facts are only facts when looked at from another point of view.:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

And the BBC certainly have another/different point of view from mine.

11. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,044
    I have wrote to them on various concerns i.e. music used, hated some thing made suggestions. Mainly they have given an answer where possible, of said they would consider it or apologised.
    I have praise Five very highly before for removing the loge and also there use of W/S films although not used all the time. Ch4 have been going down hill from about the time they got rid of there original 4 mascot. Moving series round all over the show, editing them to put the program on at inappropriate times for example Babylon 5.
    I hope the advertisers take close note of the viewing figures and Ch4 of them in return.

12. figrin_dan

figrin_dan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +135
    When bbc (1 and 2) first started being broadcast on digital, they had dogs. People complained so they stopped it. Similarly, when they 1st broadcast in widescreen on analog. If they broadcast a film in 2.35 people would complain. So they must listen to someone.

Most tvs made in the last 10 years tell you which channel you change to when you switch over and just about every set top box has HUGE glowing numbers telling you the channel number. Dogs should be stp generated and last a couple of seconds - if they NEED to be there

13. Setenza

Setenza

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +226
    Does this explain the old saying "got to see a man about a dog".

14. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,044
    Those that have Sky pay for it and despite numerous complains they have never got rid of the DOG’s and also used it for advertising such as the Micheal Jackson program. They also introduced the dreaded Red Dot.

Have also noticed how the BBC have dumbed down there programs. For instance if the is a discussions e.g. Kilroy they will put a DOG up with what they are disguising (which you only need to listen to for 30 second to twig what they are on about). Also they have started to do it with the news.

15. bobbles

bobbles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Rupert Murdoch owns sky and as such he can do whatever he likes with regards to DOGs, people may subscribe to sky but that does not mean they have a right to get what they want.

BBC is owned by the general public as such they should take notice of what we, the owners want; not just dismiss us with the pathetic reasons they quote for needing DOGs

16. bobbles

bobbles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

people who watch Kilroy probably need a DOG ;)

the only thing Kilroy tries to diguise is how much of a muppet he is, he doesn't do it very well either :)

17. Mr Hat

Mr Hat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah, stupid red dot. After much thinking, I ordered up a SkyEye - http://freespace.virgin.net/itv.regions/skyeye.htm - I've had it about a month now and haven't looked back.

Although it cost me £23, when I worked out how much I pay out in $ky $ubscription each month, it seamed crazy not to get one. TiVo recordings are much less annoying to watch now too.

18. bobbles

bobbles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    how does that work if you are in a menu

if it automatically presses backup it will bring you out of the menu

I get round the red dot prob by pausing on sky+ for a second then playing back

19. Mr Hat

Mr Hat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I use the SkyEye T-Vo version.

It knows when you last pressed a button and holds off sending the next Backup for 30 seconds. If you press a button within 30 seconds (and you'd have to be v-e-r-y s-l-o-w not to) it resets the delay time back to a full 30 secs. Because of this, you also have full use of the EPG and interactive stuff too - just press a button within 30 secs. Best of all, is when watching a recorded show and seeing the red dot go all by itself :D

20. Kazuya Mishima

Kazuya Mishima

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +65
    I was away from TV all last weekend so I could be well off the pace but there was no DOG during 24 on BBC3 tonight!

The annoying "cockney geezer" still spoiled the credits with his Pure24 trailer, but some progress is better than no progress, eh?

21. pete18

pete18

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    also watch 24 on bbc3

NO SYMBOL - thank god

i also noticed that they didn't use the NEXT PURE 24 banner on the bottom corner near the end of the episode or did i miss that and they used it

from pete

22. Kazuya Mishima

Kazuya Mishima

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +65
    No, they held off until the credits - which is still not ideal 'cos I love the music!!!

23. pete18

pete18

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    so if I was to buy a SkyEye does this mean that it gets rid of
    the SKY ONE logo on the screen

do they work if you just have normal sky tv (digital)

from pete

24. Logo Hater

Logo Hater

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24

It will not remove the "Sky One" logo, unfortunately there isn't a producy on the market that will do that.

An absolute fortune awaits the inventer of that device, it will however remove the "Press Red" caption, which is what it was designed to do. Sadly technology has only developed far enough to do this.

25. bobbles

bobbles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I didn't even notice the BBC3 logo went from 24

excellent news

26. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,044
    There is it is called a 5lb lump hammer but it don’t half make a mess to the rest of the picture.:rolleyes:

I do not know why in this day when we spend fortuned to get the best picture possible the have to take this retrograde step and clutter the screen up and ruin it.

27. bobbles

bobbles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    have you put on Fox news lately

let's hope it doesn't give sky any ideas

28. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,044
    I just have had a look the BBC did it a bit back I think on the Breakfast News, may have only been between 6 and 7. They use to have a business hour which was very informative and was worth waking up for especially that Tanya Becket :blush: , but since they joined up with news 24 it is the same one hour after the next.:boring:

I have seen a lot of news programs lately with scrolling new at the bottom which is irritating ITV News is using it.

29. encaser

encaser

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +112
    BBC1 had the "BBC Three on BBC One" dog line last night, much to my disbelief and chagrin - slippery slope:mad:
    Why the UK lot never followed the US with dogs at the bottum of the screen to be slightly less intrusive bemuses.
    I doubt the dogless 24 showing to be intentional by BBCThree as they have shown stuff before and 'forgot' the dog; even to the extent of adding it part way through:rolleyes: BBC4, though, operate on the basis of a dog or not depending on what is being shown, so I suppose you can all hope Three is following this although doubt has got to be in the extreme. The way things are, it'll be ads for the beebs smaller sister arms and then...

30. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,044
    I was up last night to see this as well as I was on the sat box and tuned into the terrestrial BBC1 only to be confronted by 'BBC Three on BBC One' again.
    Is this advertising for the digibox for the who cannot get BBC3 now?
    I then proceeded to switch of.