1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

BBC3 on-screen logo

Discussion in 'TV Show Forum' started by Bert Coules, Aug 9, 2005.

1. Bert Coules

Bert Coules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +119
    Is it my imagination, or has the BBC3 onscreen logo been changed? Suddenly tonight the word "Three" seemed much more prominent than it used to.

Bert
    www.bertcoules.co.uk

2. David Mackenzie

David Mackenzie
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,310
    Yup, it's now bigger and uglier and even more pointless and offputting than before.

3. Dr Diversity

Dr Diversity

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    We need to re-launch the campaign to get rid of on-screen logos. Is Threes translucent and does it move from corner to corner?

4. David Mackenzie

David Mackenzie
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,310
    It's not even in the corner. It's an 8th of the way across the screen, just so anyone using a 4:3 TV and decoder that cuts the sides of the picture off doesn't miss it!

5. apul

apul

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    It totally spoiled Farscape on Saturday. What a bummer. I feel a complain on the way. It made BBC3 look cheap(er?) like some rubbishy morning childrens program.

However, I'm sure they removed it later on int he night for a movie.

:suicide:

6. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979
    You've got to have a logo to make sure you know what channel you are watching...

Of course the irony is that if you can not tell a BBC channel by it's content and overall presentation then half the reason for the BBC's existence gets thrown out the window:)

Perhaps I am being niave but the one broadcaster who you would think would stand against the tide of DOG's and onscreen now&next graphics would be the BBC, if they choose to ruin programming then what hope of commercial channels restraining themselves?

7. TonyA

TonyA

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +217
    James Purnell MP is the Minister for Broadcasting!

Write to him - although from what I've already read, the government appears to ignore this issue completely.

No more DOGS!

8. GaryB

GaryB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,264
    The folks over at Digital Spy have been very unhappy about this, not just because of the horrible expanded DOG but because of BBC3's reply:

-------------------

BBC Three News
    Monday 8th August

Monday on BBC Three News.

Beware of the DOG
    In a world where international terrorism, indiscriminate murder and global poverty are facts of life, you might think people would have more important things to worry about than little logos in the top corner of their television screen.

Alas, no.

Those little graphics displaying the names of all your favourite digital channels – BBC Three, MTV, Bid-Up TV, UK Living – technically known as Digital Originated Graphics (DOGs) are the cause of much consternation among certain viewers.

Just don’t call them geeks who should get a life…

These people, and there are hundreds, say DOGs vandalise their TV screens, defacing pictures, detracting from programmes, and even causing “burn” damage to their posh plasma screens.

On Friday, BBC Three’s DOG was relaunched, bigger and bolder than ever, much to the annoyance of some viewers. As one person put it: “Oh wow, that is truly awful Bright white, 100% opaque and HUGE!!”

In response, you may notice if you watch tonight that the logo is less opaque, so don’t say the BBC doesn’t listen.

Of course, if you still don’t like it, you can always complain.

For their part, broadcasters say the DOG is a vital method of channel identification in this multi-channel world, and an integral part of their branding strategy.

The argument goes that because there are now so many channels, viewers need all the help they can get navigating around their TV and identifying the channels they feel at home with. This is especially true for people new to digital TV and possibly bewildered and confused by the amount of choice there is.

And because everyone else is doing it, channel controllers say their hands are tied. They also point to research which suggests DOGs only upset a very small minority of viewers.

The theory is that the longer DOGs remain the more they will become accepted as part of the TV landscape – something the anti-DOG brigade reject.

BBC Three's new DOG
    DOG’s detractors say the on-screen logos have turned digital TV into “an unholy mess slowly withering behind an increasing confusion of corporate branding and pointless messages”.

They could put up with them if there was a simple button you could press to turn them on and off – indeed this is one of their key demands.

Even worse, they say, are the “red button” prompts. On BBC channels these generally lead to free and popular “interactive” services, such as Glastonbury Multiscreen, but on commercial channels pressing the red button may lead to premium content, at a price.

Logofree TV say: “We believe in choice, in the right to clean television pictures of the highest quality. We want virtual DOGs and interactive content 'opt-outs', so all viewers can control what comes into their front room.”

Even on the launch night of BBC Three in February 2003, one viewer complained:

"Get rid of the annoying dog up the corner and you may get some viewers, it's worked for Channel 5 that now looks like a proper TV station. In the mean time, I'll give it a miss."

Much to the delight of the logo-free lobby, Channel 5, now re-branded as Five, has dropped its DOG. A sign, perhaps, of the new channel beginning to “mature” and a beacon of hope for the campaigners.

If you agree that DOGs are a serious issue, there’s even an online petition you can sign. 7,587 people already have.

Perhaps though, on reflection, you might conclude that there are more important things to get cross about.

-----------
    The BBC have now replaced this with something less insulting to their viewers.

9. Joe Pineapples

Joe Pineapples

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +835
    what a stinking attitude the BBC have, if that letter is anything to go by :thumbsdow

actually, on the subject of on-screen graphics and the BBC, i was watching the landing of the space shuttle this afternoon, live on BBC news 24. Someone realised at the last second that the very thing they were supposed to be showing, was almost completey obliterated by the 'BREAKING NEWS' logo, and siwtched it off for a little while, just as the shuttle touched down :oops: . Quite farcical

10. dsw182

dsw182

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    It sounds slightly tongue in cheek to me, and just to get a reaction. To some extent I can partially both sides point of view.

11. GaryB

GaryB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,264
    The BBC have now apologised for their article:

From the BBC Complaints page:

BBC Three website

Publication date: 10 Aug 2005

Complaint

We received complaints that an item on the BBC Three News website about digital on-screen graphics (DOGS) and viewers' attitudes to them was offensive in its content and tone.

The BBC's response

Like its on-air counterpart, the BBC Three News website takes an irreverent look at the stories making the headlines.

The story on DOGS was intended to be light-hearted and to encourage discussion on the important issue of on-screen graphics.

On reflection, we feel that we did not quite achieve the right tone and apologise for the offence this has caused some of our users. For this reason we have decided to remove the story from the website.

12. TonyA

TonyA

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +217
    How on earth can a public broadcaster take this sort of attitude?

Basically sticking two fingers up to the viewing public, who have to support them by a compulsory license, whether you watch their channels or not.

Well, if we have to pay for it, then surely we have a say in how these channels are presented.

Channel five when it rebranded itself found that dropping the DOG, provided them with better viewing figures. So why cant other channels take the hint?

We don't need DOG's at all - a simple press of a button can tell us what channel we are on.

13. GalacticaActual

GalacticaActual

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +199
    You know, that responce from the BBC had actually made me angry :mad:

Seriously it has really P :oops: d me off!

14. GaryB

GaryB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,264
    Hopefully the response to all of this will make those responsible for "Branding" think twice about doing something like this again.

15. TonyA

TonyA

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +217
    Perhaps we should formulate a common response, which all of us could send to the BBC's complaints website.

However, it appears that the BBC have a standard reply to the DOG issue concerning channel branding etc... so I really don't think it will get anywhere.

MP's, Minister for Broadcasting???

May I also remind everyone of the petition on: http://www.homecinemachoice.com/cgi-bin/petition.php

If you've not done so already, then I would suggest signing up.

16. GalacticaActual

GalacticaActual

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +199
    The main reason for the dogs is for channel ID right?

But with all digital tv you can press a button on the remote to find what channel you are on , so the argument for the dogs is fundamentaly flawed :mad:

17. GaryB

GaryB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,264
    Us normal folk know that but the Marketing types in charge of such things seem to think that the average viewer has the attention span of a gnat and can't remember which channel they're watching. I'd like to meet one of them and ask for some of their other opinions about their viewers. They obviously don't think they're very bright.

18. PoochJD

PoochJD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,862
    Hi,

As others have said, there is no need for DOG's of any kind, on Digital Channels, because you only need to press one button on Sky, Freeview or Cable systems, and you can get all the info you ever wanted, courtesy of the EPG system! :suicide:

Maybe, what we should do, is set-up a campaign that involves all staff at TV channels, like the BBC, E4, Bravo, etc, etc, to have their channel logo tattooed onto their foreheads, so that they can then know how angry and patronised, the DOG's on TV screens make their viewers feel! :lesson: I think they'd soon change their minds about DOG's! :rotfl:

Pooch

19. GaryB

GaryB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,264
    The loudest protestors against DOGs are:

http://logofreetv.org

Remember that if you join them, according to the BBC, you are officially a geek.

20. TonyA

TonyA

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +217
    Then I'm proud to be a "geek". :rotfl:

Didn't the Bible state: "The Geek shall inherit the earth"
    (or something like that)

So watch out Digital Broadcasters, we've got you in our sights.

21. cabstar

cabstar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Stephen Fry hit the nail on the head in his new series on Thursdadys night.

"TV is not for watching. Its for being on!!!!!!!"

Regards

Gary