BBC2 crashing skyHD box?

citehmoose

Standard Member
I know this sounds a little wacky:rolleyes: but i've been having problems with my olde thompson hd box. It just freezes and needs rebooting.

I had assumed it was the start of Psu failure, and started the debate of new box/upgrade psu or get a refurb. But then I noticed something strange.

The box has probably crashed on perhaps 20 occasions in two or three weeks. On every occasion, we have been watching BBC2:rolleyes:.

BBC2 probably only accounts for 5% of our viewing time, but it accounts for 100% of the incidents.

Am i losing it?

scottpat78

I know this sounds a little wacky:rolleyes: but i've been having problems with my olde thompson hd box. It just freezes and needs rebooting.

I had assumed it was the start of Psu failure, and started the debate of new box/upgrade psu or get a refurb. But then I noticed something strange.

The box has probably crashed on perhaps 20 occasions in two or three weeks. On every occasion, we have been watching BBC2:rolleyes:.

BBC2 probably only accounts for 5% of our viewing time, but it accounts for 100% of the incidents.

Am i losing it?

Hello, no you are not!
I used to have a Thomson box before upgrading to the 1TB box.

My box done the same thing - always on BBC2; We only really watched Something For The Weekend on BBC2 so it would always happen on a Sunday morning.
On a normal Sunday, it would happen 3 or 4 times whilst watching the program.

When watching SFTW, the screen would go blank on my lounge TV which was connected via HDMI, but my TV would not kick in with the normal on screen display as it does when nothing is output to it (input select info etc), if that makes sense, so my TV still thought it was receiving a display.
We used to have to switch the SKY box off at the mains and switch back on to get around it.

What I then noticed, purely by chance, is that when this happened to me, if I switched on my bedroom TV which is connected via RF / Magic-Eye I was able to see an error message on this TV telling me that the HDMI connected TV did not support HDCP or similar, I can't remember the exact message. If I chose select on my bedroom remote, the message would disappear and the lounge TV would show the picture as normal.

So it appeared to me when BBC2 was being watched for any length of time the SKY box would think the lounge TV (connected via HDMI) was incapable of receiving a HD transmission.

So you are not alone - it has not happened to me in the 5 weeks I have had the new box, so something weird with the Thomson boxes.

Perhaps someone else may be able to shed light on this?

Good luck. Scott.

plaver

Am i losing it?

No your not wacky, I was suffering with a similar problem with my Thomson box, my issue was loss of picture but only ITV HD, I had the alignment checked which was OK but my LNB was only working at around 20 to 30%, although the box was showing about 50% on both tuners.

I replaced the LNB,carried-out a forced software update and then a planner rebuild that was 2 weeks ago. No crashes since.

If I were you I would get the alignment and the LNB checked.

My Thomson Box has upgraded PSU and ITB Hard Drive.

derek500

No your not wacky, I was suffering with a similar problem with my Thomson box, my issue was loss of picture but only ITV HD, I had the alignment checked which was OK but my LNB was only working at around 20 to 30%, although the box was showing about 50% on both tuners.

That could be to do with your ITV1 HD region changing. Up to two weeks ago Sky viewers in the south were receiving an encrypted version on 2b, now depending on where you are in Essex you could be getting ITV1 HD Meridian (on 2b) or ITV1 HD London (on 2d).

What local news do you get on ITV1 HD?

plaver

That could be to do with your ITV1 HD region changing. Up to two weeks ago Sky viewers in the south were receiving an encrypted version on 2b, now depending on where you are in Essex you could be getting ITV1 HD Meridian (on 2b) or ITV1 HD London (on 2d).

What local news do you get on ITV1 HD?

It's always been ITV HD London local news

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom