1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

BBC Young Musician of the Year

Discussion in 'TV Show Forum' started by Bernard Barnett, Apr 29, 2004.

1. Bernard Barnett

Bernard Barnett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Just out of interest, is anybody following this on BBC4 this week? I have a horrible feeling that the audience for this kind of material, especially on BBC4, is measurable in the low thousands...Pity as (in my view) it makes wonderful TV.

2. rhoamish

rhoamish

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I can't help think you're being a little optimistic with the viewing figures!

Isn't this just Pop Idol for posh kids??

3. Bert Coules

Bert Coules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +119
    There have have been lots of complaints about this being sidelined, shunted over to a minority-interest channel; interesting in view of the Beeb's announcement today that "in response to audience pressure" they're going to increase the arts coverage at peak times on BBC1 and 2.

I don't care for the new pop-culture tone of the whole thing, and I hate the fact that the competitors are referred to, and addressed, only by their forenames. "And the winner is... Amanda!" is not the way a supposedly serious, classical-music competition should be conducted.

Bert
    www.bertcoules.co.uk

4. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    Next it will be introduced by Ant & Dec :(

5. Sammy Jankis

Sammy Jankis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'd like to see a young musician of the year based on rock music. There are some young talented pop or rock musicians out there and I'd like to see something that recognizes their abilities.

6. BlueOrange25

BlueOrange25

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +199
    Sadly Sammy I don't think that'll be happening too soon. The programme itself isn't really my cup of tea, but I can appreciate the talent and dedication it takes to reach that level. It's a shame it's been shunted to one of the lesser Beeb channels, but understandably the BBC needs to aim for more populist programming.