1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

BBC vs Sky batttle

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by davewc, Nov 23, 2003.

1. davewc

davewc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sky technical help (I think that's called an oxymoron) have told me that the BBC has changed the data rate on their satellite feed which is causing Sky+ boxes to freeze or crash.

Presumably this is a "let's stitch up Murdoch" move to make Freeview look more attractive.

I have certainly experienced freezing and crashing on recorded BBC programmes - is anyone else suffering this? Or are Sky telling porkies?

2. johndon

johndon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +88
    Can't say I've noticed any problems with my v1 Sky+ box.

John

3. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979
    Only record Top Gear and Buffy on the BBC, come to think of it that's all I do watch from the BBC and I've already seen Buffy on SKY1 and why no uncut repeat on the Beeb!

Anyway back to topic, never had problems recording from the BBC and while there were some problems last year with CH5 using very very high bitrates (not by design) which SKY+ had trouble with I doubt that is the problem the BBC are having. After all they simply won't rent enough capacity to produce the best quality digital pictures for it's license fee payers, part of the BBC's reason for exsistence as far as I am concerned is to set standards for UK broadcasting and that includes picture quality.

SKY+ has no problems recording very low bitrates or high bitrates from other broadcasters so maybe there are problems with the BBC EPG data which is causing conflicts with
    some SKY+ units and not others since there is no longer a single codebase now there is more the one version of the box.

4. davewc

davewc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well there's a surprise! The Sky technical help line were telling porkies!

It turned out that my box was overheating because the fan had stopped. They replaced the box and the problem has gone.

So BEWARE ALL THOSE WHOSE FAN IS STOPPED ON THEIR SKY+ BOX!!
    :lesson:

5. MarkR

MarkR

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +291
    Mine has stopped but is still working OK. I was told that if the Box is in an open area and not enclosed then the fan should hardly ever come on??:confused:

6. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979
    The fan should only be running if the SKY+ is overheating due to it's generated heat not being dissipated by good air clearence around the unit and the rooms ambient temp not being too high, of course if the fan is faulty AND the box overheats you then have a problem:)
    Wouldn't surprise me to see more failures once winter really kicks in and central heating is used more.

7. Phil.LFC

Phil.LFC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +56
  8. Stereo Steve

Stereo Steve

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Fan shouldn't really come on. Mine is temporarily placed on top of a DVD player and the fan only comes on when the DVD is on, creating upward heat into the Sky box.