BBC, Value for money?

The BBC are past masters at employing people who they think can "look better playing the part," or satisfying targets, rather than being able to do the job as well as someone more qualified, regardless of race.
It also amazes me the number of attractive female auto-cuties they employ in a presenter role. That's all about chasiing ratings
Are you sure you're not confusing the BBC with Sky Sports news. It's either that or we have a different take on aesthetic beauty.

I've always though the BBC was the opposite. I can't think of any eye candy.

Politically correct, yes, focused on beauty. Definitely not.

Last edited by a moderator:
Are you sure you're not confusing the BBC with sky sports news. It's either that or we have a different tale on aesthetic beauty.

I've always though the BBC was the opposite. I can't think of any eye candy.

Politically correct, yes, focused on beauty. Definitely not.
Oh, is it just me that dreams of being rugby tackled in baby oil by Clare Balding then? 🤭

I'll ignore the silly remarks from others who haven't a clue.
Do you want to ignore these too? ...
Moorhens are about 13 inches (33 cm) long with the sexes just about indistinguishable.

Here's some info from a research paper...
Sexing individuals in a population is important in many ecological and life‐history studies. Since many bird species are monomorphic, non‐invasive tools are necessary for sex determination. In this study we utilized flow cytometry to sex individuals in a moorhen population of northern Italy. By improving previous laboratory protocols, we were able to obtain clear and repeatable measures of DNA content from field blood samples. The per cent difference in nuclear content between male and female moorhens was among the highest values reported for birds. We also utilized a discriminant analysis of seven morphological measures to investigate whether birds can be sexed on the basis of biometry. Tarsus and foot lengths were the most influential variables in gender discrimination. However, only 13 females and 10 males (77%) were correctly sexed, while six females and two males were wrongly assigned. When juvenile moorhens were excluded the discriminant analysis correctly sexed 90% of the birds. Since morphometric comparisons with English moorhen populations showed that discriminant bio‐metrical values are geographically different, and thus not useful as universal sexing tools, we recommend the use of the cytometry technique for sex determination.

You need to get in touch with this lot and let them know how easy it is :)

Do you want to ignore these too? ...

Here's some info from a research paper...

You need to get in touch with this lot and let them know how easy it is :)

Since many bird species are monomorphic, non‐invasive tools are necessary for sex determination. In this study we utilized flow cytometry to sex individuals in a moorhen population of northern Italy. By improving previous laboratory protocols, we were able to obtain clear and repeatable measures of DNA content from field blood samples.

They could have avoided all this nonsense and just uploaded a photo to AVForums :)

BBC were found guilty of some massive gender gap - and these were real ones, females with the same job role, doing the same job being paid significantly less.

Okay a lot of that was historic and rightly and wrongly things like that happened. But at the time it was uncovered was in modern day where it clearly wasn’t acceptable and at a time when the BBC were preaching inclusivity and diversity to the world. You would have thought then the BBC would have immediately said “we were wrong, this is what we are doing to put it right” but they didn’t. Wronged female employees have been forced to take legal action against the BBC, and some are still to be resolved, just to get what the BBC are telling us is the right and just thing.

If they really believe in inclusion and diversity then they should sort out their discriminatory renumeration schemes without have to force legal action.

Do what we say, not what we do. Total bunch of hypocrites.

Cheers,

Nigel

Cheers,
Are you're talking about Carrie Gracie?

BBC reaches equal pay deal with former China editor Carrie Gracie

If so The BBC weren't 'found guilty' of anything and weren't subject to legal action. The BBC was shamed by Carrie Gracie going public about the pay disparity and they agreed to pay her more. This was before employers above a certain size had to publish their gender pay gap. Every employer is guilty of unequal pay, some of them haven't even published their figures and those that have show a wider pay gap than the BBC. The only reason you remember the gender pay gap in the BBC is because that's what the newspapers want you to do.

Gender pay gap: the best and worst in the industry

The worst gender pay gap offenders in each sector have been revealed

There's a lot ignorance on display by some people on here. Why don't you stop letting the right wing media do your thinking for you and do a little research instead of simply perpetuating the prejudices the press barons have towards the BBC.

Don't change the subject, we're sexing (not sexting) moorhens.

And how much was the female moorhen being paid compared to the male .....?

There's a lot ignorance on display by some people on here. Why don't you stop letting the right wing media do your thinking for you and do a little research instead of simply perpetuating the prejudices the press barons have towards the BBC.

Do you work for the BBC ? You certainly seem to exhibit the same editorial flexibility. Just call everyone who disagrees with you stupid and far right. That should do the trick.

After all, it has always worked before....

Still ongoing....

Edit: Hypocrisy much ?

Do you work for the BBC ? You certainly seem to exhibit the same editorial flexibility. Just call everyone who disagrees with you stupid and far right. That should do the trick.
I don't work for the BBC.

I haven't called anyone stupid, ignorant maybe, but that's not the same thing because you can rectify being ignorant.

I also haven't called anyone far right, I've pointed out most of our press is right wing (fact) but that's not the same as 'far right'.

After all, it has always worked before....

I'll admit when I'm wrong. I wasn't aware of this case. I take back what I said.

Still ongoing....

Edit: Hypocrisy much ?

It's not Hypocrisy at all

"Jane Corbin travels the UK to meet the workers, from supermarket staff and council carers to BBC presenters, who are fighting for equality - even if the costs run into the billions."

I’d have thought that The fact panorama included a report that also criticised the BBC would highlight the lack of bias in the organisation

I don't work for the BBC.

I haven't called anyone stupid, ignorant maybe, but that's not the same thing because you can rectify being ignorant.

I also haven't called anyone far right, I've pointed out most of our press is right wing (fact) but that's not the same as 'far right'.

My apologies, I've just read my post back, and it comes across as a bit harsh on you, which is not how it was meant to come out.

Like yourself, I'm not much impressed with most of our media at the moment, neither the right wing press nor the far smaller left wing press. Which is why trust and impartiality in the BBC is more important than ever - and they are failing miserably in the eyes of many, including myself.

Take the Cliff Richard story - rather than give Sir Cliff an apology - which was all he wanted - the clowns who went to court cost the BBC £2m and then wanted to spend more money appealing the decision. All because they didn;t want to admit they were in the wrong. Those people are still there, careers unharmed.

The journalists who outed Savile, however, were marginalised and forced out....

Not impressed with BBC at all...

I’d have thought that The fact panorama included a report that also criticised the BBC would highlight the lack of bias in the organisation

They made a documentary about it, whilst still fighting it in court ...

My apologies, I've just read my post back, and it comes across as a bit harsh on you, which is not how it was meant to come out.

Like yourself, I'm not much impressed with most of our media at the moment, neither the right wing press nor the far smaller left wing press. Which is why trust and impartiality in the BBC is more important than ever - and they are failing miserably in the eyes of many, including myself.

Take the Cliff Richard story - rather than give Sir Cliff an apology - which was all he wanted - the clowns who went to court cost the BBC £2m and then wanted to spend more money appealing the decision. All because they didn;t want to admit they were in the wrong. Those people are still there, careers unharmed.

The journalists who outed Savile, however, were marginalised and forced out....

Not impressed with BBC at all...
I don't think the BBC is perfect. I don't think it's representative and said at other times, The BBC is a cosey club for middle class white men. Much of it's programming doesn't reflect the diversity we have in the UK. They've made some progress in recent years but it's mostly been tokenism. They should be commissioning people from different backgrounds, both in terms of ethnicity and socioeconomic, to make programmes. To tell stories of the lives of people from all communities. Despite that there's still a lot to admire about The BBC.

I'll just leave this one here for @Doghouse Riley:

1592942832291.png

I hope it's the one on the right :)

Someone should tell her she's a guy...,

I'll stop now...

Is this what it’s like to be in the @Doghouse Riley ?
Perhaps it's time to eat some Kate Humble pie?

As an example, of the "too many fingers in too many pies," I mentioned earlier, here's a job opportunity I've singled out at random amongst many being advertised by the cash strapped BBC.

Editor, Gist Nigeria

Job Introduction
Gist Nigeria is BBC Africa’s pioneer co-production with a dynamic team that produces stories being talked about for the social media generation.

As someone who only wants to watch a few TV programmes on any channel, why should I be paying for this?
You're not, this is for a co-produced pay channel in Africa. It is actually paying money towards programming for people in the UK. Have a look at what BBC Studios (the commercial wing of the BBC) do before presuming you are paying for everything with a BBC logo on it.

You're not, this is for a co-produced pay channel in Africa. It is actually paying money towards programming for people in the UK. Have a look at what BBC Studios (the commercial wing of the BBC) do before presuming you are paying for everything with a BBC logo on it.
Yep, posted earlier and got no response
We're not paying them, the commercially run BBC World News is (100% funded by subscription and advertising revenues).

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom