BBC, Value for money?

sbriggs

Can I ask the same when you say "They" as seen posted by you above in relation to anyone that does not like or watch the bbc..
They - the people who criticise the BBC and then say they dont watch it on this thread

Now can I have the evidence for "most of the population"

aVdub

Distinguished Member
They - the people who criticise the BBC and then say they dont watch it on this thread

Now can I have your evidence for "most of the population"
Right

"most of the population" I didn't write the post :facepalm:

Last edited by a moderator:

sbriggs

I edited my post when I realised you weren't the original poster of the "most of the population" .

Last edited by a moderator:

v2 API

Distinguished Member
Nothing for me on there, but I sure do hope that nobody complains about any jokes in The Two Ronnies that reference the vertically challenged member of the pair. Otherwise they'll have to double up on Morecambe and Wise for filler.
Well the BBC do seem to enjoy an old Irish guy dressing up as an old women and getting up to dubious things with his real life wife as a pretend daughter, and various other strange individuals, so who knows?

Last edited:

WeeScottishLass

Distinguished Member
Question time viewing figures are down due to Fiona Bruce taking over and I mean literally taking over. She talks too much, it’s like she’s acting.

Richard Osman is such a bore, started off ok in pointless, now he’s everywhere I turn off anything he’s on. Come to think of it ......faces I’d like to punch!!
Fiona Bruce is very pretty though!

mikeysthoughts

His Dark Materials has been very good so far.

Otherwise the only other BBC content we watch is Only Connect and University Challenge, and the occasional Question Time.

WeeScottishLass

Distinguished Member
His Dark Materials has been very good so far.

Otherwise the only other BBC content we watch is Only Connect and University Challenge, and the occasional Question Time.
I watch all of their documentaries on crime, all of their storyville stuff, all of the BBC4 subtitled box sets, most of their crime drama's, question time, they do amazing documentaries on hospital and edge of life stuff.

The only things I don't watch are the entertainment shows like strictly or their comedies.

I guess it's just not for everyone but I love it 😊

Aj33

Distinguished Member
I watch loads of BBC 🙂
Which is fine.

I don’t think it should be mandatory for everyone to pay for it regardless. If they went for a pay to watch model I would likely still purchase based on one or two shows and the odd thing the wife watches.

aVdub

Distinguished Member
That's 2019.

Thankfully there's decent entertainment like Netflix & Amazon Prime for example for those that want it.

richp007

Distinguished Member
I watch all of their documentaries on crime, all of their storyville stuff, all of the BBC4 subtitled box sets, most of their crime drama's, question time, they do amazing documentaries on hospital and edge of life stuff.

The only things I don't watch are the entertainment shows like strictly or their comedies.

I guess it's just not for everyone but I love it 😊
Good for you Lass!

tenor (3).gif

arenaman

No, not value for money, enforced "tax", how do they get away with it?

lemmy

Standard Member
I've said this on the other thread, a BBC subscription services (at current levels) is impossible. The numbers

The BBC receives about £3,800,000,000 (3.8 billion) in licence fee revenue.

Netflix, the most successful subscription service in the UK, has 12,400,000 subscribers

If the BBC could match those subscriber numbers (that's a big IF), then to maintain their current level of funding would require a subscription of £25 per month.

No one is going to pay that.

Cheers,

Nigel
If the BBC reduced its service, no news, local radio and TV, web site etc and became an entertainment service just like Netflix, I wonder what subscription they would need? Much more than Netflix I imagine because of their inflated management structure.

On the other hand, I wonder what subs Netflix would need were it to replicate the scope of the BBC's output? I have no idea in either case but I would expect the BBC to come out as beaurocratic, cumbersome and expensive.

I'd hate to see it go, though.

jim1106

The BBC is well liked and watched by much of the UK public. Great news for the BBC. They would have a absolutely nothing to fear from adopting a subscription fee payment system. Our BBC will on that basis receive a huge uptake in any voluntary payment system. Obviously the BBC would sail on untroubled.
Win, win for everyone. The small number of people who have no interest in Our BBC can opt out and the vast majority can go on supporting this much loved institution.
Or the Beeb would lose vast revenue numbers as they underestimate the amount of people who have no interest in its output.
My money's on the latter.

Unsane

I popped into my local bank today, which is a rarity, to cash a cheque that Capita kindly sent me a few weeks ago as a TV licence rebate. Not sure why in this day and age they're still messing about with cheques, but there we go.

I've been dithering for last three years on whether to cancel the licence on a permanent basis as our live TV viewing is obviously non-existent and, ultimately, very glad I did. Why pay for something that one doesn't use? Simple as that.

Last edited:

krish

Distinguished Member
I popped into my local bank today, which is a rarity, to cash a cheque that Capita kindly sent me a few weeks ago as a TV licence rebate. Not sure why in this day and age they're still messing about with cheques, but there we go.
If you also use your bank's smartphone app with your account, then it probably has a cheque payment function (takes photo of cheque and deposits it) that'll save you a trip to the bank.

imightbewrong

Distinguished Member
If you also use your bank's smartphone app with your account, then it probably has a cheque payment function (takes photo of cheque and deposits it) that'll save you a trip to the bank.
I opened an HSBC account solely to do this - as my main bank Santander don't offer it. It seems they do in the US though, which gave me initial hope until I realised it was talking about 'checks'.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: CES 2021 Special - Sony, LG, Panasonic, Samsung, TCL and Hisense TV news and more...

Latest News

Sky seals Studiocanal movie deal
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
iFi Audio launches iDSD Diablo DAC/Headphone amp
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Samsung launches Galaxy Buds Pro
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Samsung launches Galaxy S21, S21+ and S21 Ultra smart phones
  • By Andy Bassett