BBC, Value for money?

krish

Distinguished Member
I'm not sure what you mean.
one of the driving tinfoil theories of the far right - about whites being replaced; surveys and promotion of the countryside to BAME persons is currently one of their biggest paranoias - so mention of white working class being included is at odds with their narrative

sbriggs

Anyway a bit more on topic , this particular tweet doesn’t seem to be one to beat the BBC with as its based on a DEFRA report . You can argue that BAME groups should have nothing to fear from the countryside But unfortunately it seems they do feel that fear or lack of inclusion. Therefore perfectly legitimate for countryfile to comment on it .

It does no harm to anyone to bring it to the fore

krish

Distinguished Member
That is about French far right.
No, it's the whole bunch of them in Europe (including UK) and US. I presume you didn't scroll down that Wikipedia page. Regardless, I knew the various movements here and abroad long before seeing a Wikipedia description. Also known as identitarianism, which sounds cute and cuddly compared to supremacy.

Ruperts slippers

Distinguished Member
I worked for a County Council and during the 1990's. I was asked to do some work for The Countryside Commission who wanted to know why so few BAME people visit The Countryside. So I got in touch with 200+ BAME community groups and asked them to get their members to each complete a survey, we got back more than 2000 questionnaires. The biggest reason given for why BAME people didn't visit the Countryside was feeling unsafe because they thought they might be racially attacked. The second reason was BAME people said they didn't know 'how to use The Countryside'. Not knowing where to go, what to do was also the main reason given by lower income white people for not visiting, a group The Countryside Commission wanted information about, so we did a separate survey for that group as well.
The general idea is that no one really knows were they are going. It's meant to be an adventure.

Yes there is a countryside code of conduct, read up on it, plan a route etc. If you go in the wrong field, you'll be pointed in the right direction. If people bring the city swagger they'll be told off.
Racially attacked by whom, a white rabbit, a pheasant. It's not Lord of the Rings is it.

Last edited:

sbriggs

The general idea is that no one really knows were they are going. It's meant to be an adventure.

Yes there is a countryside code of conduct, read up on it, plan a route etc. If you go in the wrong field, you'll be pointed in the right direction. If people bring the city swagger they'll be told off.
Racially attacked by whom, a white rabbit, a pheasant. It's not Lord of the Rings is it.
I know that, you know that but obviously the message isnt getting through to certain groups

DemonAV

Distinguished Member