BBC, Value for money?

For decades I paid the licence fee and thought nothing of it. Then due to my advancing age I got a free TV licence.
Having agreed to fund this in exchange for more cash, the BBC have reneged on this deaL, as they say they can't afford it.
Well they won't will they? Not if as they did. carry on recruiting staff, failing to strip unnecessary layers of senior management and carried on paying silly money to the favoured few, or more likely many. to present sometimes, some pretty dire cheap to produce programmes..

As from August, I'm going to have to start paying for a TV licence again, which brought this so called "service" into sharp focus.
We are really getting shafted as viewers, I consider it poor value for money.

Why can't they organise themselves to manage for a year on the four billion pounds they get?

How hard is it to complie a workable budget and make the necessary savings, when you know in advance how much cash you're getting?

Most licence paying households can manage their budget without a phalanx of accountants which I'm sure the BBC employ and still they can't.

Why have three channels if you couldn't even fill two without a high proportion of repeats?

Being stuck at home for more than usual, I've noticed that the same favoured few have been presenting multiple programmes on subjects, few of them have any knowledge in depth, their only asset being "they are well known" Well they would be if they are in so many programmes wouldn't they?

Looking at my telly mag. I've lost count of the number of times I've seen a new programme listed, but is to be presented by one of the same old faces,
Is Greg Wallace part owner of the BBC?
I got sick of seeing many of these faces years ago. So mostly, I don't bother.

Why can't we have some fresh faces, who won't need to be on the silly money that some have earned for over a decade?

imightbewrong

Distinguished Member
There are plenty of long, long threads discussing the pros and cons of the license fee, and the quality or lack thereof of the content, and the salaries of the mega-stars and whether it is justifiable.

hippo99

Distinguished Member

DemonAV

Distinguished Member
Maybe so but I enjoy any opportunity to have a dig at the BBC 😁
I very rarely watch the BBC as I use other services for the majority of my time (yes even if I watch one program a month I have to pay etc) so I'm miffed that I have to pay a fee to do so. It would be much better as well as fairer to charge only for what I want to watch as I guess the far majority are like me and only use the BBC services occasionally.

John

Wasn't it the Govt that paid for the licence fee, and they told the beeb they were going to stop and they would have to fund it instead ?

Rasczak

Distinguished Member
In all honesty the tax and benefits systems are disproportionately generous to elderly citizens at expense of the young and middle aged. That is despite many current OAPs being beneficiaries of pension schemes more generous than those to be had by our children. Given the BBC are still providing free licences to those on income support benefits, I don't see any harm in stopping it for others. Indeed, it seems a fair and proper thing to do IMHO.

maxwell

Distinguished Member
In all honesty the tax and benefits systems are disproportionately generous to elderly citizens at expense of the young and middle aged. That is despite many current OAPs being beneficiaries of pension schemes more generous than those to be had by our children. Given the BBC are still providing free licences to those on income support benefits, I don't see any harm in stopping it for others. Indeed, it seems a fair and proper thing to do IMHO.
What a disgraceful post you disgust me

sbriggs

Maybe so but I enjoy any opportunity to have a dig at the BBC 😁
I very rarely watch the BBC as I use other services for the majority of my time (yes even if I watch one program a month I have to pay etc) so I'm miffed that I have to pay a fee to do so. It would be much better as well as fairer to charge only for what I want to watch as I guess the far majority are like me and only use the BBC services occasionally.
I think you guess incorrectly

Ofcom report

More than nine in ten adults consume BBC content each week, although younger people are slightly less likely to do so
Across all platforms, 92% of adults consume BBC content each week.
Overall, this decreases to 86% among those aged 15-34 and increases to 96% of those aged 65 and over. In addition to those who consume BBC TV and radio services, the online elements of the BBC (iPlayer/ online news/sport specifically) attract an incremental weekly reach of 3% among all adults, increasing to 6% among those aged 15-34.

Rasczak

Distinguished Member
What a disgraceful post you disgust me
I am sorry if I upset you, I certainly didn't mean to. I just think a fair taxation and benefits system would be better hence why asking those pensioners who can afford a licence to buy one themselves rather than asking others to pay instead. I don't think that is a disgraceful view?

Last edited:

Cliff

Distinguished Member
The question ‘Is it value for money’ depends on how frequently you watch BBC programmes or listen to their radio stations. In our household for instance, we do not watch much from the BBC. If we do it is almost accidental. The kids only watch streaming services. I am paying for Virgin cable; I try to persuade them to watch it. They don’t want to because they want to decide on what to watch, by clicking on it- Netflix or Amazon.

I find their news too lefty, and I did listen to Jeremy Vine two weeks ago because I wondered if it was still on! I could only listen to about 30 minutes and I couldn’t believe his bias - anti this anti that. This wasn’t James OB who is a fully paid up member of the lefty club - fair doos We know where he stands.
This was BBC R2 which is supposed to be a service and informative with a bit of music in between.

Anyway the writing is on the wall for the BBC because the younger generation don’t look at it.

There are plenty of long, long threads discussing the pros and cons of the license fee, and the quality or lack thereof of the content, and the salaries of the mega-stars and whether it is justifiable.
So you think it's worth my while bothering to look for them?

Sorry, haven't the time or interest.

I think you guess incorrectly

Ofcom report

More than nine in ten adults consume BBC content each week, although younger people are slightly less likely to do so
Across all platforms, 92% of adults consume BBC content each week.
Overall, this decreases to 86% among those aged 15-34 and increases to 96% of those aged 65 and over. In addition to those who consume BBC TV and radio services, the online elements of the BBC (iPlayer/ online news/sport specifically) attract an incremental weekly reach of 3% among all adults, increasing to 6% among those aged 15-34.

Ah!
They may "consume" it, but how palatable is it for many?

I posted this because you could have said "watch," it's the right word.

Far too may words are used today that belong in PR and advertising speak rather than conversations on message boards..

It's something the BBC do often, like using the word "navigate" when they mean they try to influence
viewers' choices with promos between programmes. I consider that term disrespectful, but hey! it's the BBC innit?.

I think the BBC couldn't navigate their way out of "the" creek, even with a paddle.

For me, the best programme on the BBC is the "Red Button News," short to the point and hard to get in their left-wing agenda in so few words, without making it obvious. But they do often include some trivia.
Oh hang on, that's going too.

imightbewrong

Distinguished Member
So you think it's worth my while bothering to look for them?
It's already been done - linked above.

"I don't have time to search to see if the answer is already there" reminds me of these guys

1592169110051.png

imightbewrong

Distinguished Member
You're obviously not too busy, others like me have more interests so don't feel the need to search out old threads.
In the end chum, it hardly matters does it?
I guess not - spend your time on the same old points - some of us like to tread new paths. Each to their own - enjoy finding out the same things all over again. If you want some spoilers let me know :)

I guess not - spend your time on the same old points - some of us like to tread new paths. Each to their own - enjoy finding out the same things all over again. If you want some spoilers let me know :)
You can tread any path you like, I won't be joining you.

Sorry I'm moving on, if you're looking for further argument, you've picked the wrong person.

I'm done.

imightbewrong

Distinguished Member
You can tread any path you like, I won't be joining you.

Sorry I'm moving on, if you're looking for further argument, you've picked the wrong person.

I'm done.
10-4 - also done. Enjoy.

nheather

Distinguished Member
I've said this on the other thread, a BBC subscription services (at current levels) is impossible. The numbers

The BBC receives about £3,800,000,000 (3.8 billion) in licence fee revenue.

Netflix, the most successful subscription service in the UK, has 12,400,000 subscribers

If the BBC could match those subscriber numbers (that's a big IF), then to maintain their current level of funding would require a subscription of £25 per month.

No one is going to pay that.

Cheers,

Nigel