BBC UHD Demo

mike7

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I used the V6 BBC iPlayer app yesterday and was invited to view a test transmission of Planet Earth 2 in UHD with HLG. I saw two short extracts from the documentary which were stunning in their quality although slightly jerky at times. This could have been down to my modest 4k TV or the V6. Sadly once you have done this the option disappears. The BBC are asking for opinions.

No jerking on mine, just pure loveliness. Could be your network speed?

Which begs the question: if my screen doesn't do HLG, is the V6 transcoding into HDR10 for output to the screen? If that's the case, I won't need to update the telly when HLG goes live...

At 100+ Mbps broadband speed was not the issue. Shame we are rationed to only see this once.
Addendum: Are you implying that BBC iPlayer via VM is dependent on the Broadband speed? I'm not sure about that.

Last edited:
You're assuming that I have a UHD player, which I don't. The prices are way too high. I now tend to stream stuff rather than purchase any sort of disc.

At 100+ Mbps broadband speed was not the issue. Shame we are rationed to only see this once.
Addendum: Are you implying that BBC iPlayer via VM is dependent on the Broadband speed? I'm not sure about that.

Yes, this is why the v6 has to have a network connection. The old Tivo had its own modem which was not affected by your domestic broadband, and got a steady 10mbps. The v6 does not, and uses your normal broadband. You may have purchased 100mbps, but this doesn't mean you're getting it all the time.

You're assuming that I have a UHD player, which I don't. The prices are way too high. I now tend to stream stuff rather than purchase any sort of disc.
Streaming is all well and good for things you don't want to keep but for purchases I wouldn't dream of using streaming because the quality is never as good and access to content can be withdrawn at any time.
I like Netflix but for things I want to keep its discs all the way and its becoming a bit of an irritation that many shows are available to stream in HD but not available to buy on Bluray.

I agree most UHD discs are over priced specially when they don't even have true 4k content but Planet Earth 2 for £19.99 seemed a good deal

I'm sure it let me watch it more than once. Maybe go into settings?
Anyway, it still looked smooth and fab on my non-HDR 2014 Sony 4k TV.

Streaming is all well and good for things you don't want to keep but for purchases I wouldn't dream of using streaming because the quality is never as good and access to content can be withdrawn at any time.
I like Netflix but for things I want to keep its discs all the way and its becoming a bit of an irritation that many shows are available to stream in HD but not available to buy on Bluray.

I agree most UHD discs are over priced specially when they don't even have true 4k content but Planet Earth 2 for £19.99 seemed a good deal

Where is it available @ £19.99 or am I too late?

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom