BBC to trial Ultra HD 4K broadcasting at the World Cup - news discussion

Give me high quality 4K content on a regular basis and I'll buy a 4K TV, until then I'll stick with my 1080P TV.

Puzzling that they chose not to make it a public trial.
Would have done wonders for 4k's reputation if we could all have a look at it.

4k will come much quicker than HD and I think Sky will be ahead of the BBC.
In this case, the past is not a good indicator of the future.

4k oled when content is in place untill then a 2k oled wil do me fine

They've not even the funding to roll out 1080i completely yet let alone the money to introduce 4K broadcasting. Regional introduction of 1080i HD is having to be done in stages because the Beeb hasn't the money to do it in one fell sweep. If they trial 4K at the World Cup then I'd not expect to hear about it again for some considerable time. More a matter of the Beeb jumping on a careering band wagon than it being a matter of them being innovative.

Brave the 4k tv early adaptors :smashin: tv pioneers

Hardly pioneering. There's a Japanese outfit (Nippon Hoso Kyokai) that has been working on 8K broadcasting for at least the last 18 months. The plan is to have this in place in time for the Tokyo 2020 Olympics. Expect to see test broadcasts within the next 2 years.

8k is pointless for screens less than 85Inches and wastes huge amounts of bandwidth.

4k has a purpose in that it looks better on 55 Inch+ screens and adds the framerate/colour/HDR capabilitiy, 8k will not give the normal consumer anything.

EDIT: Actually make that screens less than 3 metres.

Yay …

screens bigger than 3m are on the way. :clap:

So you think the TV manufacturers will simply stop introducing new resolutions and stop selling TVs because the consumer will actual know that 8K is pointless on smaller screens? 4K is pointless for many, but that doesn't appear to have prevented them from wanting it or selling it. You'd be surprised at just how many people have no idea of the difference between HD Ready and Full HD or even care. They go to Curry's and are told they need it and buy it.

All the promises made about 1080p haven't even been made a reality, yet they used those promises to sell it to everyone.

If I'd of suggested that 60" screens were to become common place 6 years ago then you'd have looked at me stupid, but that is what has happened. Today's 60" screen is tomorrow's 3m panel. By the time 2020 arrives a 3m panel may in fact be a reality and could potentially be no more expensive than the 100" panels you can get today.

The way you speak suggests you want all inovation to stop due to what you see in front of you today as opposed to what may or may not occur in the future? Your facts are correct, but their implementation may become more feasible in a relatively short period of time? What, a man on the moon, you are kidding aren't you?

Last edited:
... and this will be better than the BBC's bitrate-starved HD because?

I have a 65Inch screen and I see no difference in picture quality between the beeb and something like Sky 1

Yay …

screens bigger than 3m are on the way. :clap:

And how many people can

a) afford then
b) have room for them

8k cannot exist on a few thousand big screen owners.

You know BBC 4K broadcasts won't happen realistically outside a trial, though. Look at how little HD there currently is and even when there's some it's still 1080i or even upscaled a lot of the time.

TV in the UK is always behind and always will be. Look how long it took us to get colour or widescreen or even digital TV. Or what about the mess that was the "DAB Radio switchover"... that never happened either!

It's too close to the "upgrade to 1080p" that they're already trying to sell people the next thing again (just as they did with DVD and then BD, or CD and SACD) and you know how joe public reacts to that... indifference.

Bit puzzled by all that loop.

There's shedloads of HD on the beeb.
We had widescreen before the US did because Europe pioneered it.
We invented the methods used for digital broadcasting on terrestrial (and were the first to use it).

I also think you're misunderstanding 1080p.
We already have 1080p25 on freeview and by default everywhere else because any TV with a cinema mode will convert a progressive source transmitted as 1080i back to progressive for display.

1080p50 is the next generation and is not supported by the HD standard. You need the UHD standard and HEVC to allow that.

And how many people can

a) afford then
b) have room for them

8k cannot exist on a few thousand big screen owners.

Irrespective of this, NHK are still in the process of developing it and are intending on having it up and running by 2020.

The point being that we are getting excited by the BBC trialing 4K at a single event for their own appraisal while the Japanese have been trialing 8K since 2012! Hardly innovative or pioneering on the part of the BBC is it?

Last edited:
Absolutely, but it'll be used for showing stuff on massive public screens.

It'll be more of a showcase channel (like the Eutelsat 4k one that's just launched) rather than a Sky 1/movies type thing.

I'd imagine this will be more successful than 3D...I'd certainly welcome the increase in resolution.

brazil.jpeg

I wonder how the Beeb will deal with the 4K hunting public knocking on the door at Shephard's bush on the day of transmission...

what are the BBC actually providing? Sounds like all they are doing is redistributing the matches that will be captured in 4K. The recent Rolland Garros quarter finals in 4K looked stellar. I would have hoped for a bit of Wimbledon in 4k. Broadcast it on a satellite that is accessible to the masses and anyone with a powerfull enough pc and pc sat tuner will be able to watch it.

The 4K capture is being done by FIFA TV in conjunction with Sony, what the BBC are testing is the feasibility of actually broadcasting in 4K.

The 4K capture is being done by FIFA TV in conjunction with Sony, what the BBC are testing is the feasibility of actually broadcasting in 4K.

So they are basically having a private 4K party at Shepherd’s Bush for the senior executives?

Any idea what nibbles they'll be having? Cheesy glow balls????

Being smarter dressed, but less in tune with the public than the AVF editorial team, I'd wager that the Beeb's chief execs would have fruit bowls full of mini cheddars...

You'll never find a good hobnob in a Sheperd's bush.

Moving swiftly on - it's some good progress in the 4K development cycle IMO. The Beeb have always been good at having a crack at new tech, and throwing enough money at it to test it, before just poo-poo'ing the feasibility of it.

its feasible, its wether the BBC want to pay for more bandwidth. 20-30mbit for decent quality 4k in hevc vs 3-7mbit for poor 1080i. Broadcast HD quality has been on the decline for years now which will make the difference between 1080 and 2160p more apparent.

its feasible, its wether the BBC want to pay for more bandwidth. 20-30mbit for decent quality 4k in hevc vs 3-7mbit for poor 1080i. Broadcast HD quality has been on the decline for years now which will make the difference between 1080 and 2160p more apparent.
It only started in 2010. :)

I am really baffled by all the negativity around a simple announcement that the BBC are doing a 4k trial. It sounds like good news to me, as well as being completely unsurprising.

It states "The FIFA-supplied 4K 60p feed of the final, one quarter-final and one last-16 game will be linked via satellite from the Maracanã Stadium in Rio de Janeiro to London data centre Telehouse and on to BBC R&D in Shepherd’s Bush for encoding to the HEVC (H.265) "

So basically the stream beeb will receive will be raw and far higher than 30mb/s bit stream data rate. Sounds like beeb are as much testing local encoders as local distribution. The real test here is surely transmission of the uncompressed source stream.

HD as we know it has been around for what 10 years? Probably be several more years before we see any real progress. Beeb may well need to uplift entire transmission network to cope. I for one welcome it. I wont be investing in a 4K screen until source material becomes available.

It only started in 2010. :)

I am really baffled by all the negativity around a simple announcement that the BBC are doing a 4k trial. It sounds like good news to me, as well as being completely unsurprising.

BBC HD started as a trial way back in 2006, it was praised for the quality, over the years the pq went south, just as every other broadcaster did. I look forward to a genuine 4k trial sooner rather than later, it might be the only time it actually looks good. Roland Garros looked sweet as it was all captured during daylight. Lets see how football holds up under the same conditions.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom