BBC to broadcast HDTV in 2006

Oblomov

Quotation from an article in today's Guardian:

"A high definition format - described by enthusiasts as the equivalent of TV moving from black and white to colour - is to be introduced by the BBC for many of its best-known programmes.
The BBC's director of television, Jana Bennett, will tonight unveil plans to "simulcast" highlights of BBC1's peaktime schedule, including major drama, documentaries and sport shows, in high definition from the middle of next year on satellite and cable. It will also launch a trial of HDTV broadcasts via Freeview, the free to air digital service, using spare capacity in the London area.

Advocates of the technology, which produces pictures four times as detailed as conventional broadcasts, claim that programmes look incredibly lifelike, with more vivid colours and better quality surround sound. It is already popular in America and the far east.

The corporation, which already produces some programmes, such as Bleak House and Rome, in high definition for sale to the overseas market, has appointed a head of HDTV to manage and run the trial. Seetha Kumar, who coordinated pan-BBC events such as the recent Africa Lives season, will take the role. Big budget natural history series, including the forthcoming Planet Earth, and sporting events will also be filmed in the format and the BBC has pledged to move all its production to HD by the end of the decade."

StooMonster

Moderators: shouldn't this thread be moved over to "High Definition TV" forum?

StooMonster

samjet

Banned
leave it here please as its relevant to the hi def ready plasmas being talked about on a daily basis

Oblomov

StooMonster said:
Moderators: shouldn't this thread be moved over to "High Definition TV" forum?

StooMonster
Good point, if a little pedantic. It should certainly be posted there as well but is directly relevant to this forum, where I spend most of my time, also.

StooMonster

Oblomov said:
Good point, if a little pedantic. It should certainly be posted there as well but is directly relevant to this forum, where I spend most of my time, also.
Also directly relevant to "Rear Projection TVs" and "LCD TVs & Screens" and "DLP & LCD Projectors" and "CRT Projectors" forums too. ;)

StooMonster

Oblomov

StooMonster said:
Also directly relevant to "Rear Projection TVs" and "LCD TVs & Screens" and "DLP & LCD Projectors" and "CRT Projectors" forums too. ;)

StooMonster
A determined pedant, indeed.

Trending threads

Top Bottom