BBC threatens to withdraw its channels from Sky

Lex

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Taken from wotsat:

The BBC is considering taking the controversial step of withdrawing its channels from Sky Digital if carriage fees are increased in May next year, according to national press reports. The BBC's Senior Policy Adviser, Julian McGougan, has said: "We fear the fee Sky wants to charge us could at least triple. At some point we may have to say, sorry, something has to give and one of our options is to take our channels off the platform."

:eek: :( :mad:

I would be slightly concerned but it ain't going to happen:)

The BBC are worried that now the ITC have confirmed that the charges SKY make to ITV for subscription managment etc are fair and reasonable they will also apply to the Beeb as well when their existing contract runs out next year.
Smart move on the BBC's part to get the first volley in to gather public support and to remind SKY in a round about who their friends were when SKY D launched.

Originally posted by Starburst
I would be slightly concerned but it ain't going to happen
Wouldn't worry me if it did. Sky? Oh, yes, I remember. It a way of shelling out huge amounts of money to watch 4x3 TV with intrusive adverts and DOGs.

Yes but it's One and Two which are dogless and widescreen which could disappear!

However it won't ever happen and sounds like Auntie just getting ready to handbag Rupert a bit...

Taken from wotsat news:

BBC's digitals demands 'absurd' says Sky boss!

Sky's chief executive, Tony Ball, has dismissed the BBC's calls for cheaper fees for distribution on the satellite network, labelling the corporation's demands "absurd", according to the Daily Telegraph. He said he was sick of rivals' demands for discounts and said the company was justified in charging what it did after four years of capital investment. ITV has already lodged an official complaint against the £17m fee Sky charges the channel to appear on its satellite TV network, but Oftel, the telecoms watchdog, rejected its case two weeks ago. Mr Ball said the broadcaster would not back down in the face of a threatened BBC boycott, which could also see Channel 4 withdrawing from Sky's basic package.

If this happens, Sky will probably reduce the subscription price!

Hey, what are you laughing at? Come on, it could happen.

This is all well and good, but the freeview channels from the Beeb are still not available in large parts of the country, and the Beeb is using Sky either through subscription or FreeSat, if the Beeb redraws from Sky, are they going to ensure the whole country gets freeview, or will the 2012 timetable still stand? Currently I only get these channels through Sky and would have have to resort to analgue again if the service was pulled.

Seeing as this was 4 years ago, I wouldn't panic too much.

This is all well and good, but the freeview channels from the Beeb are still not available in large parts of the country, and the Beeb is using Sky either through subscription or FreeSat, if the Beeb redraws from Sky, are they going to ensure the whole country gets freeview, or will the 2012 timetable still stand? Currently I only get these channels through Sky and would have have to resort to analgue again if the service was pulled.

Why did you ressurect this thread from the archives? I've wasted my time reading it not realising its from 2002.

Why did you ressurect this thread from the archives? I've wasted my time reading it not realising its from 2002.

I wouldn't have realised that, if you hadn't have said - somebody has been using the search function to the max!!!! :confused:

Yeah:)

With the new pricing structure coming into force in a few days I thought the BBC had taken pro-active action against SKY then I read a few posts:)

yeh, a golden oldie.

still. if the BEEB stopped making so many home improvment shows or "Celebrity" dressing up like a tube with Forsyth and Norton then they could pay sky much more!

yeh, a golden oldie.

still. if the BEEB stopped making so many home improvment shows or "Celebrity" dressing up like a tube with Forsyth and Norton then they could pay sky much more!

Also, ITV would have to stop funding for such shows as 'When Buildings Attack' and 'Kettles From Hell'.

Not forgetting the classic 'Celebrity Arse Swap'.

Possibly.

I wouldn't have realised that, if you hadn't have said - somebody has been using the search function to the max!!!! :confused:

It was the mention of the ITC that made me look at the dates.

Wouldn't worry me if it did. Sky? Oh, yes, I remember. It a way of shelling out huge amounts of money to watch 4x3 TV with intrusive adverts and DOGs.

LOL

I thought this post didn't make much sense

I wish they would go as I never wanted the BBC or to pay the tv licence for channels I don’t want however even with sky we are forced to receive them, if they left it could begin the end for the TV licence, why should i pay for a service I don’t want,

Unfortunately its never going to happen.

I wish they would go as I never wanted the BBC or to pay the tv licence for channels I don’t want however even with sky we are forced to receive them, if they left it could begin the end for the TV licence, why should i pay for a service I don’t want,

Unfortunately its never going to happen.

I think you would have to pay for a TV licence even if you couldn't watch BBC as the licence is for the TV and not so much a subscription to watch BBC.

I personally like the BBC it's ITV that needs to either buck up or shut down.

I think you would have to pay for a TV licence even if you couldn't watch BBC as the licence is for the TV and not so much a subscription to watch BBC.

I personally like the BBC it's ITV that needs to either buck up or shut down.

the license funds the BBC. no BBC, no license fee.

Gaz is right in my opinion.

Gaz is right in my opinion.

in fact too :p all other channels are self funded by adverts and stuff. the license fee is solely to fund the BBC. personally i'd prefer to have them show adverts, and reduce the fee. with advertising revenue, and a reduced license fee, we might get a top quality channel aqs they wouldnt be short of cash.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom