BBC Series Releases From Network

Derek S-H

Distinguished Member
My Shoestring Box arrived today and have watched two episodes: the programme is quirky, utterly charming and hugely enjoyable and 70's Bristol looks amazing - I don't know how they did it!

Picture upscales well for DVD onto a 65" OLED, though it helps that it's mostly a muted colour palette. Sound is just 1.0 mono but dialogue was clear and the mix was balanced.

The book? Interesting in places but hardly essential for your enjoyment of the programme. Worth waiting to see if Network release a cheaper, bookless edition in the future like they did with the UFO Box.

Last edited:

brian s

Distinguished Member
My Shoestring Box arrived today and have watched two episodes: the programme is quirky, utterly charming and hugely enjoyable and 70's Bristol looks amazing - I don't know how they did it!

Picture upscales well for DVD onto a 65" OLED, though it helps that it's mostly a muted colour palette. Sound is just 1.0 mono but dialogue was clear and the mix was balanced.

The book? Interesting in places but hardly essential for your enjoyment of the programme. Worth waiting to see if Network release a cheaper, bookless edition in the future like they did with the UFO Box.

Nice little review there. It's one I didn't see it much in it's day. You almost make want me to want to buy it.

Bri

Last edited:

Derek S-H

Distinguished Member
Nice little review there. It's one I didn't see much in it's day. You almost make want me to want to buy it.

Bri

If it's released without the book and is around £20 in a sale, I'd say snap it up -you won't be disappointed.

Oh, and try not to be too stormy this weekend, Brian, I have to cycle to work and back along the South coast!;)

brian s

Distinguished Member
If it's released without the book and is around £20 in a sale, I'd say snap it up -you won't be disappointed.

Oh, and try not to be too stormy this weekend, Brian, I have to cycle to work and back along the South coast!;)

Oh I may be mean. I'll huff and I'll puff. I suggest you stay in your brick house.

:laugh:
Bri

brian s

Distinguished Member
Three film versions of two BBC shows and one ITV show out on 28/1/19.

till-death-us-do-part-blu-ray-pre-order-.jpg

likely-lads-the-blu-ray-pre-order-.jpg

man-about-the-house-blu-ray-pre-order-.jpg

Bri

Garrett

mark6226

Three film versions of two BBC shows and one ITV show out on 28/1/19.

View attachment 1098394

View attachment 1098395

View attachment 1098396

Bri
It's great to see the likely lads movie getting a release on bluray. It's a pity that Bolems hatred of the whatever happened to the likely lads series will probably prevent it getting a release. He's in record stating he hates the series. He has always prevented them being repeated on terrestrial TV because he clearly owns the rights (in some way) to the series
Personally I find the whatever series to be one of the finest BBC comedy series of all time.

brian s

Distinguished Member
It's great to see the likely lads movie getting a release on bluray. It's a pity that Bolems hatred of the whatever happened to the likely lads series will probably prevent it getting a release. He's in record stating he hates the series. He has always prevented them being repeated on terrestrial TV because he clearly owns the rights (in some way) to the series
Personally I find the whatever series to be one of the finest BBC comedy series of all time.

Whatever Happened To The Likely Lads is available on DVD. It has been repeated on the BBC though that was quite a while back. The Christmas episode was repeated not too long ago though. Does Bolam really hate the show? I know he refused to take part in a later version of it many years after Whatever. It'd be a shame if he does hate it.

Bri

brian s

Distinguished Member

There's been similar discussions here.

Rodney Bewes

Bri

Sarah7

Those episodes will surely provide a nice sales boost for the films; also appears to be no extra cost considering that the Man About The House film is the same £11.70 pre-order price.

brian s

Distinguished Member
Those episodes will surely provide a nice sales boost for the films; also appears to be no extra cost considering that the Man About The House film is the same £11.70 pre-order price.

Indeed. I'm not the biggest fan of either of those films. They weren't a patch on the original TV shows but those episodes have turned them into a must buy.

Bri

mark6226

I got the likely lads movie from Hmv for a tenner today. Oh boy they've done a great job with the picture and fixed the audio probs that the dvd has.
The booklet is vvg. Wasn't Bolem a nasty piece of work? He said some truly awful things during the shooting of the movie. Clearly he has always issues with his working class roots now hes settled in the south east. Most people would be proud of the fact they'd bettered themselves but Bolem was. Ashamed of his past and become a typical inverted snob.
Bewes was also very nasty to local people during the shooting.
Im not interested in the bonus episodes as I'm not keen on the original series. I watched rotll when shown and have always loved it. The series is an absolute classic.
The movie pales at the side of the series but the bar was so high it was always going to fall short. Nevertheless it's one of the better tv spin offs and it Bob and Terry.
It's highly unlikely that Bolem will ever allow the tv series to come out on blu Ray such is his hatred, fear and outright hostility towards his once best friend.
I think I'll watch the TV series again. I usually watch it at least twice a year.
It's a great release and at a brilliant price

brian s

Distinguished Member
I got the likely lads movie from Hmv for a tenner today. Oh boy they've done a great job with the picture and fixed the audio probs that the dvd has.
The booklet is vvg. Wasn't Bolem a nasty piece of work? He said some truly awful things during the shooting of the movie. Clearly he has always issues with his working class roots now hes settled in the south east. Most people would be proud of the fact they'd bettered themselves but Bolem was. Ashamed of his past and become a typical inverted snob.
Bewes was also very nasty to local people during the shooting.
Im not interested in the bonus episodes as I'm not keen on the original series. I watched rotll when shown and have always loved it. The series is an absolute classic.
The movie pales at the side of the series but the bar was so high it was always going to fall short. Nevertheless it's one of the better tv spin offs and it Bob and Terry.
It's highly unlikely that Bolem will ever allow the tv series to come out on blu Ray such is his hatred, fear and outright hostility towards his once best friend.
I think I'll watch the TV series again. I usually watch it at least twice a year.
It's a great release and at a brilliant price

I also picked it up from HMV for a tenner. I didn't get away with the film at all the first time I saw it. It wasn't a patch on the Whatever series. It suffered many of the same problems that most tv sitcoms had when adapted for the big screen. On this second watch I was able to see past those problems and enjoy it. Unlike yourself I do like the original 60s series and was very pleased to see the two recovered episodes here. Network make a big thing of them being HD on the cover. In fact they were filmed from a 405 line tv monitor so saying they are HD is extremely misleading.

The first time I heard about James Bolam's last train in, first train out comments was from someone who often got things wrong. From the booklet it would appear he was correct but I wonder if it was meant to be tongue in cheek. James likes to keep his personal life to himself and rarely does interviews. He was probably ill at ease at that public appearance. There is another story in the booklet in which James was praised for his friendliness and his affection for the North East. Rodney Bewes always came across well in interviews. I'd hope any problem he had with the girl asking for his autograph was a one off thing. Rodney did seem to think he had a special relationship with James but I doubt if they were ever best friends.

You've rather contradicted yourself by saying James would block a blu of The Likely Lad as your post is about a Likely Lads blu. The Whatever series would have been in standard definition. A blu would be upscaled. Granted the BBC are releasing upscaled versions of the likes of Dr Who and Red Dwarf but I can't see it happening for The Likely Lads. He was certainly unable to block the DVD if he objected to it's release.

Bri

mark6226

I also picked it up from HMV for a tenner. I didn't get away with the film at all the first time I saw it. It wasn't a patch on the Whatever series. It suffered many of the same problems that most tv sitcoms had when adapted for the big screen. On this second watch I was able to see past those problems and enjoy it. Unlike yourself I do like the original 60s series and was very pleased to see the two recovered episodes here. Network make a big thing of them being HD on the cover. In fact they were filmed from a 405 line tv monitor so saying they are HD is extremely misleading.

The first time I heard about James Bolam's last train in, first train out comments was from someone who often got things wrong. From the booklet it would appear he was correct but I wonder if it was meant to be tongue in cheek. James likes to keep his personal life to himself and rarely does interviews. He was probably ill at ease at that public appearance. There is another story in the booklet in which James was praised for his friendliness and his affection for the North East. Rodney Bewes always came across well in interviews. I'd hope any problem he had with the girl asking for his autograph was a one off thing. Rodney did seem to think he had a special relationship with James but I doubt if they were ever best friends.

You've rather contradicted yourself by saying James would block a blu of The Likely Lad as your post is about a Likely Lads blu. The Whatever series would have been in standard definition. A blu would be upscaled. Granted the BBC are releasing upscaled versions of the likes of Dr Who and Red Dwarf but I can't see it happening for The Likely Lads. He was certainly unable to block the DVD if he objected to it's release.

Bri
I agree I've contradicted myself but bolem himself is a contradiction. He hates ll but loves when the boat comes in. He hates the North East. He's a northern Micheal Caine. He's actively blocked the BBC from showing repeats of ll. Bewes is on record stating that and he's also on record saying bolem blocked them just to deprive him of any royalties.
Bolem may not hold copyright rights to block with the movie as it falls outside the BBC contract.
What's clear that bolem is a thoroughly nasty piece of work who is ashamed of where he came from.
He's become the person Terry would hate.
The things he said about ll and the North east are obscene as are things that Bewes got up to.
The saddest thing is that Bob and Terry, Bewes and bolem were as one until they fell out.
Clearly bolem is unable to let the past go as he refused to patch things up with Bewes shortly before Bewes died
I love whatever ll, its sublime. So many of Terry's cynical observations about the aspiring middle classes have come true.
Of course the forgotten geniuses here are the writers.
Nothing makes sense with the relationship between Bewes and bolem.
Maybe all that matters to us is that the ll is timeless. Unlike friendships!!!

brian s

Distinguished Member
I agree I've contradicted myself but bolem himself is a contradiction. He hates ll but loves when the boat comes in. He hates the North East. He's a northern Micheal Caine. He's actively blocked the BBC from showing repeats of ll. Bewes is on record stating that and he's also on record saying bolem blocked them just to deprive him of any royalties.
Bolem may not hold copyright rights to block with the movie as it falls outside the BBC contract.
What's clear that bolem is a thoroughly nasty piece of work who is ashamed of where he came from.
He's become the person Terry would hate.
The things he said about ll and the North east are obscene as are things that Bewes got up to.
The saddest thing is that Bob and Terry, Bewes and bolem were as one until they fell out.
Clearly bolem is unable to let the past go as he refused to patch things up with Bewes shortly before Bewes died
I love whatever ll, its sublime. So many of Terry's cynical observations about the aspiring middle classes have come true.
Of course the forgotten geniuses here are the writers.
Nothing makes sense with the relationship between Bewes and bolem.
Maybe all that matters to us is that the ll is timeless. Unlike friendships!!!

As I've said before the Whatever series did get a repeat showing. I remember watching them with my wife and I hadn't met her when the series was first broadcast. From wiki:

In 1995 and 1996 the series was repeated in its entirety on BBC2. It went on to become a short-term staple of cable channels, and was again shown on satellite and cable TV in 2008–9. In April 2013, the first series began a repeat run on BBC Four, its first showing on terrestrial television since 1996. It has also been released on DVD. The movie spin-off usually appears at least once a year on TV, around Christmas.

Also I've heard repeats of the radio version very recently on Radio 4 Extra so he hasn't blocked those.

Bolam didn't or couldn't block the DVD release. It'd be pretty pointless in him blocking a blu of it even if anyone was considering such a release. The DVD is still available.

The writers were on Radio 4's Loose Ends recently plugging their new book. They said they knew they'd have problems signing Bolam up. They took him to a restaurant and outlined their plans for the show. He laughed at their ideas. He liked what they planned. They downplayed any rift between Bolam and Bewes pointing out that the pair didn't live anywhere near each other. Their book should be an interesting read. Not just about the Likely Lads but all their other tv shows and films too.

Bri

brian s

Distinguished Member
dad-s-army-the-lost-episodes-blu-ray-.jpg

THE ORIGINAL SCRIPTS. A BRILLIANT NEW CAST. FOR THE FIRST TIME IN 50 YEARS, THREE LOST EPISODES OF DAD'S ARMY CAN BE SEEN AGAIN!

Britain's favourite sitcom, Dad's Army ran for eighty episodes over nearly ten years and is rarely far from our screens - but three of those episodes were lost many years ago and haven't been seen since 1969. Now, using Jimmy Perry and David Croft's original scripts, those three episodes have been recreated as faithfully as possible to mark the 50th anniversary of their original broadcast.

Featuring a brilliant new cast that includes Kevin McNally as Captain Mainwaring, Robert Bathurst as Sergeant Wilson, Kevin Eldon as Lance Corporal Jones, David Hayman as Private Frazer, Mathew Horne as Private Walker, Timothy West as Private Godfrey and Tom Rosenthal as Private Pike, these three lost episodes can now be enjoyed again in this critically-acclaimed comedy classic!

SPECIAL FEATURES:
• Cast interviews
• Outtakes
• Behind the Scenes Gallery

Not quite a BBC release but close enough. Out on 25/11/19.

Bri

The latest video from AVForums

AVForums Movies Podcast: Streaming Theatrical Releases And The Future Of Cinema
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

LG smart TVs now feature Google Stadia service
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Sky reveals content lineup for 2022
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Panasonic TVs now feature Apple TV+