BBC regions on Sky Digital

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by andyk, Jan 4, 2002.

1. andyk

andyk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +165
    I have a question.
    Since ITV started broadcasting on Sky Digital, we can get the various different regions by tuning in to different frequencies etc.

Why don't the BBC do the same? I can definitely do without "UK Today". Or maybe the BBC do and I just don't know how to get the local channels?

Thanks for any info.

2. gbmitie

gbmitie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +56
    This question keeps cropping up. It is all down to copyright. This means if BBC Wales show a rugby match it is only for Wale and then BBC RNgland does the same it is only for England and the same for Scotland/Northern Ireland. It is done via the postcode. However, rumpur has it that the BBC may go same way as ITV so keep watching.

hope this helps.

gbmite

3. Xeonic

Xeonic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'd like to see regional BBC as well :) I think it is probably due to an issue more important than copyright - money! Or bandwidth to be precise. A regional Digital BBC service would require a separate feed for each one, so that's 10x then bandwidth we have now, assuming there are 10 regions(?). This could be the reason it took ITV 3 years to get on, and subjectively it seems the've solved this multi-region issue by using more compression than some other channels.

ITV itself isn't really multi-region - you get your local on 103 based on postcode (as gbmitie said) plus "surrounding" in the 900s - only techo-savvy people with frequency info can add the others...

There is one aspect of BBC that's multi-region, "local news" on analogue teletext :rolleyes: Saying that, if BBC subsequently transmit all regions, will they use the same method as ITV??

4. k.monaghan

k.monaghan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

5. k.monaghan

k.monaghan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Is it possible to receive RTL on Sky Digital/Does any one have the freq. etc.

6. gbmitie

gbmitie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +56
    This is a strange question and u may need to explain what u mean a bit further but SKY is located at 28%E and broadcasts in NDS encryption. RTL, as far as I am aware is on 19.2%E and broadcasts in a totally different form of encryption, cryptoworks. The SKY box is a sealed unit and u need a dedicated sky card to view.

If you are starting out u need to buy a magazine called What Satellite and have a good read. All details on frequencies are posted at the back.

Hope this helps.

gbnitie