BBC red button text service removal

snooper

Hi the red button text service news, sport etc is apparently ending in January. I think this is a major oversight as many elderly people, along with others use this a lot. I thought they were supposed to be inclusive well in addition to re introducing The licence fee they remove a vital service. Not everyone wants or has the internet particularly older people like my parents. They are not tech savvy and are scared of scams etc. Not everyone has access to newspapers if you have mobility issues or live in a rural area. Does anyone else think removing this is a bad decision it’s not as if they can’t afford while paying extortionate salaries and providing poor programmes and repeats. Would be interested in people’s opinions.

Rodders53

I really can't think of the last time I used the red button text service on any platform or broadcaster.

Ofcom would have vetoed the idea if it was a perceived major issue though, surely?

Red Button 'at risk' from BBC cuts suggests you've had almost 4 years to campaign to save the service.

snooper

I appreciate that & I only knew about it as my elderly mother told me after reading it on bbc text funnily enough a few days ago. I think it unfairly penalises certain people who may not even know its going until it does.

VisionMan

The removal of this service was first announced in 2015 and even then they recognised its engine, MHEG 5, was old and outdated technology. Old tech eventually becomes unsupported. New tech comes along. Nothing unusual in that.

VisionMan

Oh and while I'm here the BBC Radio iPlayer is being canned as well. To be, and currently is, replaced by BBC Sounds.