• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

BBC Proms - John Williams

Greg Hook

Moderator & Reviewer
Missed this last night but it is available on catch up.

Superb prom with music from all his best ones. Star Wars, Superman, ET, Jaws etc

It's on iPlayer etc. Well worth a download.

richp007

Distinguished Member
Much obliged for reminding me. Having just been to see Hans Zimmer in concert, I can't wait to have a watch of this.

bootyman81

Distinguished Member
Caught the last hour last night, great stuff, the orchestrations were damn near perfect.

QuestShield

Distinguished Member
Have this recorded. Saw a John Willams concert in Dublin in 2015 was pretty amazing though they played a little too much Catch Me If You Can and nothing from Jurassic Park. Hearing the Imperial March loud and proud was so good.

Garrett

Missed this last night but it is available on catch up.

Superb prom with music from all his best ones. Star Wars, Superman, ET, Jaws etc

It's on iPlayer etc. Well worth a download.
I gave 2 head ups for this concert both for the radio and for the one going out on BBC4.
I was also annoyed was stuck on a selected HD channel which some areas can only get in SD on freeview:mad:

John Williams music celebrated at the Proms on BBC Radio 3 Thursday 20th at 7.30pm if not canceled for sport.
And on BBC 4 Friday at 8pm

Garrett

I would have like for them to have played one of his early works before he became very popular i.e. Jane Eyre:(
I suppose he catalog is that vast they cant play everything or the little known ones.

gibbsy

Only found it by channel jumping so missed the first 20 minutes or so and stuck it on record. Wife's not much of a 'classic' music fan so I watched it once she had gone to bed with my headphones on. Really good, some great musicians on show. Was broadcast on Sky HD with full 5.1 DD. Doubt very much that the iPlayer will have anything other than a poor PCM stereo.

SteveAWOL

Distinguished Member
Apologies if this has already been mentioned elsewhere but wasn’t sure where’s best to post this...

An Evening with John Williams in Concert | Royal Albert Hall

For the first time in 20 years, John Williams will return to the UK to conduct his iconic film scores in concert.

Reunited with the London Symphony Orchestra, the orchestra that recorded his 1977 masterpiece Star Wars: A New Hope among other acclaimed scores, Williams will take the audience on a journey through some of the most successful movie music in living memory.

In a career spanning six decades and with five Academy awards, fifty-one Oscar nominations, seven BAFTAS, twenty-four Grammys, four Golden Globes, five Emmys and numerous gold and platinum records, John Williams needs little introduction.

Friday 26 October 2018
Starts: 7:30pm

Geordie888

Apologies if this has already been mentioned elsewhere but wasn’t sure where’s best to post this...

For the first time in 20 years, John Williams will return to the UK to conduct his iconic film scores in concert.

Reunited with the London Symphony Orchestra, the orchestra that recorded his 1977 masterpiece Star Wars: A New Hope among other acclaimed scores, Williams will take the audience on a journey through some of the most successful movie music in living memory.

In a career spanning six decades and with five Academy awards, fifty-one Oscar nominations, seven BAFTAS, twenty-four Grammys, four Golden Globes, five Emmys and numerous gold and platinum records, John Williams needs little introduction.

Friday 26 October 2018
Seems to be sold out [emoji26]

Drax1

Distinguished Member

Friday 26 October 2018
Ta for the link, but the tickets are all done...
Such a shame, as after going to the epic Hans Zimmer gig, I said to the wife, the only thing that could EVER top that would be to see John Williams live, but it's never likely to happen. It looks look being the only chance I'll get to see him in this environment.

Drax1

Distinguished Member
It would make my year if Mr Williams could see himself doing an extra night at the Albert hall. Genuinely gutted to miss out on that.

SteveAWOL

Distinguished Member
Seems to be sold out [emoji26]

That’s a shame. :(
Inevitably, there’s lots of seats available on ToutHub... at a significant markup

https://www.stubhub.co.uk/john-williams-tickets-john-williams-london-london-royal-albert-hall-26-10-2018/event/103485695/

Hopefully there will be some returns at the box office in the days leading up to concert...

Ta for the link, but the tickets are all done...
Such a shame, as after going to the epic Hans Zimmer gig, I said to the wife, the only thing that could EVER top that would be to see John Williams live, but it's never likely to happen. It looks look being the only chance I'll get to see him in this environment.

I went to Zimmer’s show at Wembley Arena which was fantastic but I suspect that this double-bill might top it!

Hans Zimmer
28279602_10157131335044128_9197331899159823022_n.jpg

Drax1

Distinguished Member

SteveAWOL

Distinguished Member
Yes, I scanned a couple of sites, but couldn't quite bring myself to part with £400. I considered it for a moment until the wife brought me crashing down to reality saying a new bathroom comes before John Williams at that price...
D’oh! Might’ve to settle for one of these instead...

Star Wars: A New Hope in Concert | Royal Albert Hall

7D7E9FFA-865A-4B18-8558-719D135827D2.jpeg

Feel the force this November at the Royal Albert Hall, as Star Wars: A New Hope is presented live in concert for the first time in the UK. George Lucas’ 1977 classic will be projected in high-definition on the big screen, accompanied by the London Symphony Orchestra – taking John Williams’ epic score to a breath-taking new dimension.

These concerts will form the centrepiece of the Hall’s dedicated Star Wars Festival, a celebration featuring a galaxy of events including Q&As, concerts, exhibitions and other special events to be announced in due course.

Star Wars: A New Hope will also tour the UK following this European premiere.

Hans Zimmer vs Jon Williams - UK Tour 2018

F7B32EB8-6428-4383-A5BF-0AD1DD4C6ED8.jpeg

RicksonGracie1972

Distinguished Member
I tried to get the John Williams tickets as well but yeah they sold quickly.
Ended up with two tickets to see Amadeus at the Royal Albert Hall. That should be amazing.

Drax1

Distinguished Member
D’oh! Might’ve to settle for one of these instead...

Star Wars: A New Hope in Concert | Royal Albert Hall

View attachment 993602

Feel the force this November at the Royal Albert Hall, as Star Wars: A New Hope is presented live in concert for the first time in the UK. George Lucas’ 1977 classic will be projected in high-definition on the big screen, accompanied by the London Symphony Orchestra – taking John Williams’ epic score to a breath-taking new dimension.

These concerts will form the centrepiece of the Hall’s dedicated Star Wars Festival, a celebration featuring a galaxy of events including Q&As, concerts, exhibitions and other special events to be announced in due course.

Star Wars: A New Hope will also tour the UK following this European premiere.

Hans Zimmer vs Jon Williams - UK Tour 2018

View attachment 993604
Cheers for that. I might just try and grab tickets to one of those. I just have to properly get over my Albert Hall disappointment first...;)

Drax1

Distinguished Member
After missing out on tickets, John Williams has to cancel his appearance at the concert tonight at the Albert Hall. Conductor Dirk Brosse will now take his place. A shame for those expecting an evening with the master.

domtheone

Distinguished Member
Suppose it dont matter when you're listening in the radio lol.

3 hours of goodness now on Classic FM.

Classic Raiders first up (edit radio playing that as a warm up - hopefully a live version later)

Last edited:

TheDarkKnight01

Gutted to be missing the master that is John Williams tonight. Ended up getting a refund on my tickets.

Hope he gets through whatever he is in hospital for.

domtheone

Distinguished Member
Would have loved to be there live. Just epic.

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom