1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

BBC Programs in HD

Discussion in 'TVs' started by beeblebrox12, Mar 10, 2005.

1. beeblebrox12

beeblebrox12

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm wondering if BBC has HD sources for their programming, or just widesceen versions. More specifically, how about Coronation Street and Dr Who? The recently launched CBC HD channel shows Coronation Street in widescreen, but SD, and they haven't specified if Dr Who will be HD. Do they exist in HD, or CBC just hasn't acquired them in that format?

2. Tarbat

Tarbat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +252
    I doubt if the BBC have Coronation Street in HDTV.

3. xxalxx

xxalxx
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Eeewwwwwwww :suicide:

Coronation Street in HDTV = hopefully a thing just for nightmares :eek:

Al

4. richjthorpe

richjthorpe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Apparently Casualty has started filiming in HD. Problem is, you might be able to see that the blood and the cuts are fake !

5. Stephen Neal

Stephen Neal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +681
    Eastenders and Corrie are both shot using standard def video - not HiDef.

Holby City (not Casualty?) piloted a number of episodes in 1080/50i as an HD evaluation process - though I don't think they have continued - it was purely to see the make-up issues, lighting, special effects, post-production etc. (Not sure if the episodes were edited in HD or SD)

Dr Who is currently shooting in standard def video - not sure if it has been 25fps flickered or shot in 25fps progressive mode, or whether it will be 50i in motion terms (as old Dr Who video stuff was) There is no Dr Who HD to be purchased.

The BBC IS shooting their latest Dickens adaptation "Bleak House" in HD rather than Super 16 film, and other series like RockFace have also been shot in HD. I suspect 1080/25p will be used (just as 25fps film would have been) - with US partners getting a slowed down 1080/24p or 1080/60i via 3:2 pulldown transfer (just as they would have got a slowed down 24fps 3:2 pull-down to 480/60i in the past - or in some cases a regular speed 25fps 50i to 60i standards conversion)

Some other BBC one-off dramas have been shot in HD, and much of the BBC's music coverage is now HD. (Later with Jools Holland..., The Proms season, Carols from Kings etc. are all shot with HD cameras, and most are recorded in HD - the early Proms this year were SD, until the truck doing them got an upgrade to its vision mixer for HD - in time for the Last Night.)

No idea if ITV are commissioning or shooting anything on HD... (They were quite a lot later moving from 4:3 to 16:9 than the BBC - their News is still 4:3, unlike the BBC and Channel Five)

6. Rimmer

Rimmer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I was surprised at first that Dr Who was made in SD, given that at £10m it is the most expensive drama series ever made by the BBC. I'm sure it would have been considered - the likely reason was the cost of producing visual effects in HD was too high. No doubt if the first series is successful serious thought will be given to making the second series in HD.

One programme shot to look out for which was shot in HD and which should be of interest to Americans is Supervolcano, a docu-drama about what might happen when Yellowstone Park erupts (to be shown on BBC1 this Sunday).

beeblebrox12, Coronation Street is made by ITV, not the BBC. I think it will be a few years before it is made in HD.

7. Howard Pitfield

Howard Pitfield

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    on sat station Pro7 in a few days time. I saw a thread on this a few days back - I am going to try and capture it on PC......

"At 10 p.m. on Saturday, March 26th, viewers can then enjoy the premiere of David Fincher's "Panic Room", which features two-times Oscar award-winner Jodie Foster. This sinister thriller by the maker of "Fight Club" and "Seven" deals with an exciting and uncompromising cat-and-mouse game - and will again be broadcast in the brilliant high-definition that can be enjoyed by all viewers with suitable receivers. Last but not least "Der Anschlag", "Men in Black II" and the successful BBC documentary "Supervolcano", three further ProSieben highlights, will be aired in HD in April 2005 via ASTRA Transponder No. 16 (11.4355 GHz; vertical polarization) - all transmissions courtesy of SES ASTRA."

H

8. Stephen Neal

Stephen Neal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +681
    Yep - but the episodes are an hour long, and there are 13 of them, so it is coming in at quite a lot less than £1m per hour, or £500,000 per half hour. I think EastEnders is around £300,000 for a half-hour - and that has fixed sets and much smaller special effects budgets...

I suspect the Dr Who budget is "biggest" only because it is unusual for 13 part dramas to be commissioned these days? I suspect if you scaled up Bleak House, Sea of Souls, Waking the Dead etc. to 13 hour long episodes they may also look pretty high budget? (And possibly cost more?)