1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

BBC - Planet Earth

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by IanPM, Aug 9, 2004.

1. IanPM

IanPM

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Hi guys,

I've got my grubby mits on a BBC HD Trailer for Planet Earth, the follow up to Blue Planet. From what I can tell, its a 6mbps WMV 9 stream, picture quality is good, and stunning in places. It runs for a couple of minutes and is about 200mb.

[EDIT, I won't post a link to this, The BBC is keen, obviously to protect this content and have asked that I do not. I'm sure everyone will get a chance to see this content when the BBC launches its HD channel in 2006 ;) I do find it very amusing that they asked me to remove even the mention of posting it though :) ]

2. IanPM

IanPM

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Also, I should point out, the BBC expects Planet Earth to air in 2006. Does that sound to people like the sort of thing that might appear on SkyHD, in, coincidentally the same year?

3. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979
    Would the BBC actually sell it's content directly to SKY though:)
    I suspect they would want to keep such content away from SKY not only to strengthen their own HD channel and maybe even a totally different hardware based platform.

I would hope that the BBC would piggy back it's offerings on the SKY system, FTA obviously unless they decided to make it profitable and create a joint venture with SKY or other broadcaster.

4. fabricado

fabricado

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've seen that trailer, it contains some very nice photography.

It was originally distributed by the BBC iMP so maybe the BBC's first HDTV distribution won't be DVB-S but the internet. The BBC iMP is due to launch early 2005 I believe.

5. IanPM

IanPM

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Indeed, it looks good. A little overcompressed in places, but still very pretty.

I'm wondering if the BBC will launch some sort of mini channel on Sky, one with very limited simulcasting.

I guess only time will tell.

6. CKNA

CKNA
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
  7. Boris Blank

Boris Blank

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +161
    Interesting. From the BBC's own website "Making Waves takes you behind the scenes of the making of The Blue Planet. DRVs, Diving Research Vessels or mini-submarines are key to The Blue Planet's unique deep-sea images. Skilled and dedicated submarine crews and state-of-the-art high-definition cameras produce images of a quality never seen before from the deep."
    ( http://www.bbc.co.uk/nature/programmes/tv/blueplanet/bts2.shtml )

So, contradictions abound. They can't both be right so one or other is telling porkies!

EDIT - Its filmed in SD for sure, another report here, again from the beeb http://www.bbcresources.com/about/archive/030310_firesuite.html refering to upconversion to HD.
    Paul

8. loadsofleads

loadsofleads

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think the part where they went very deep down in the submarine WAS shot with a HD camera but the rest was SD, could be wrong though :confused:

9. Boris Blank

Boris Blank

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +161
    That would explain the contradiction right enough. Pity it wasn't true HD all through, this would have made it an even better spectacle that it already is!
    Paul

10. fabricado

fabricado

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Planet Earth is being shot in true HD for sure.

Blue Planet was shot in SD then upconverted to HD.

11. IanPM

IanPM

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Are you on in iMP trial Fab?

12. fabricado

fabricado

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    According to Ashley Highfield (the BBC's Director of New Media & Technology) who "oversees BBCi services on the internet, interactive TV, and emerging platforms. He's responsible for the BBC’s Technology portfolio, encompassing IT strategy, Research and Development, and technical innovation looking at the content forms of the future."

"we could get HD out to people’s television sets without the need to rely on Sky and Cable to upgrade their Networks." He said this in relation to the Creative Archive and the iMP.

From an interview listed yesterday here.

13. digitalsafari

digitalsafari

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +102
    Blue Planet had the film elements re telecined in HD and the SD video elements up converted using Snell & Wilcox boxes.

Can't remember if the graphics where remade in HD.