1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

BBC Pitch Shift

Discussion in 'TV Show Forum' started by Marcus Wood, Apr 29, 2003.

1. Marcus Wood

Marcus Wood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Maybe this is old news, but I've noticed that Evita, which was shown on BBC1 last night, had it's pitch altered, presumably to correct the 4% PAL speed-up pitch shift.

I recorded it on Sky+ and this evening I was comparing the sound quality on it with that of the [Italian] DVD version which I own.

There wasn't much difference in quality (although I used the DVD's DD track not the DTS one), but I noticed that the BBC soundtrack was lower in pitch.

Does anyone know if it's standard practice for TV stations to do this, or was it just done for Evita because it's a musical?

2. James45

James45
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    if the PAL release had a pitch increase due to the 4% speed up I would expect the sound to be higher pitched not lower, pitch correction must have over compensated.

Have to admit I saw bits of this for the first time and I was fairly impressed, kind of like a rock opera, not what I was expecting at all!

3. Marcus Wood

Marcus Wood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    As the DVD and BBC1/Sky Digital are both PAL, I expected both to have the same (artificially high) pitch, because both would be speeded up 4%. In fact, they both ran exactly in synch, so they were both definitely speeded up by the same amount.

But the BBC1/Sky Digital sound had a lower pitch than the DVD, so I assume they did a digital correction to the sound to give it a lower pitch (although of course it's still speeded up 4%).