BBC Pidgin English news site

Pidgin English is spoken in west Africa, especially in Nigeria. The BBC has a dedicated news site for Pidgin English speakers for that region of west Africa.

Last edited:
Always wondered what my Licence Fee went on..... :(

I’ve seen it before but still find it very strange - odd that the spellings for simple words are simplified and accented yet long and complicated words are spelt out in traditional English.

Odd that if I read the news report out aloud and unaware people heard me I would probably be accused of racial stereotyping.

Cheers,

Nigel

Last edited:
Oh good. Yet another BBC thread. I know, why don't I start a thread by posing a question I can easily find the answer to, then watch as the usual suspects copy and paste from the many other BBC threads?
Gotta keep this thing alive.

A "wow"? Did I call it wrong, @shotokan101?
It seems to me this self-answered question surely belongs in one of the many extant BBC threads. And yes, post 5 by your good self and we're on to the license fee already.
Did I really call it wrong?

A "wow"? Did I call it wrong, @shotokan101?
It seems to me this self-answered question surely belongs in one of the many extant BBC threads. And yes, post 5 by your good self and we're on to the license fee already.
Did I really call it wrong?

"Yes"

Soft power over 75 million

That's almost exactly what I was going to write. There is a lot of aid, disaster relief, and other things we spend money on being helpful and friendly to people in other countries of the world, that is very cost effective in developing trade and diplomatic relations.

That's almost exactly what I was going to write. There is a lot of aid, disaster relief, and other things we spend money on being helpful and friendly to people in other countries of the world, that is very cost effective in developing trade and diplomatic relations.

Yeah - so what ?

Why does that need to include the BBC doing this - why doesn't the ODA provide it if it's "useful"? :confused:

So two separate payments then.
1. Through our taxation.
2. Through our paying the licence fee.

Seems like twice to me.
Anyway I didn't start this thread as another let's kick the BBC as it's down rant, and the BBC are def down presently with a growing population beginning to realise it's a sinking ship that just isn't worth saving. I just thought it was comical as the way it's written.

Didn't the govt pull out of FCO funding for the WS several years ago, just as they've more recently pulled out of funding 75+ licence payers?

I also know it's funded commercially too, certainly the likes of African social/online media, by the ad/subscription revenue from the World News channel in those parts of the world.

I also know it's funded commercially too, certainly the likes of African social/online media, by the ad/subscription revenue from the World News channel in those parts of the world.

That sounds plausible. Whenever I have been in hotel in a foreign country with the World Service as the only English channel on the TV I ‘ve tried to watch but soon given up. So ladened with adverts its unwatchable. Not ITV style, this is like US TV adverts but on steroids.

You watch the weather or stock report for a part of the world you are not in, broken up by loads of adverts, eventually it ends and you hope that it might be something interesting, but nope, it’s now the turn of the weather report for another part of the world you are not in.

Also, if you open up the BBC News website in another country, even if you specifically enter .co.uk it gets redirected to .com. Very similar except that it is full of advertising.

Cheers,

Nigel

Anyone know that the BBC have a Pidgin English website for Nigerian Pidgin English speakers.

Yes I did. In fact I linked to it once on here. It was reporting something which was very newsworthy, but for some reason ( one can speculate) did not make it on their mainstream news.
The strange thing is, West African Pidgin is really a spoken language and not written. If you are a native speaker, and can read the BBC‘s pidgin website, you will be educated enough to read the normal English version. If you have difficulty with standard English it is doubtful you would be able to read the pidgin version.
Na so.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom