1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

BBC Picture Quality..........

Discussion in 'Satellite TV, Sky TV & FreeSat' started by Johndm, Jul 29, 2003.

1. Johndm

Johndm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +56
    So, all the BBC regions are now available on $ky.

Shame about the picture..:(

During a quick channel hop this evening while all the regional variations were showing, the picture quality was, absolutley awful! News 24 seemed very poor too?

Maybe bandwidth has been divided between all the new BBC channels, at the expense of quality?

$ky news seemed unaffected.

Anyone else notice a quality drop?

2. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979
    The BBC rented an additional two transponders to enable the expansion of their service on ASTRA, I don't know if this was enough but knowing the BBC's past performance it would only be just enough to do the job.

Haven't had a good look at the regions, still a bit surprised at getting West Midlands (Birmingham) when I live 8 miles from Nottingham. I've read the explanation on the BBC website and it's a pretty pathetic explanation after all the trouble they caused, at least the other regions are on the EPG.

The BBC use statistical multiplexing on it's transponders, works well when all the channels are showing different programming so bitrate can be dynamically allocated as and when it's needed. Of course if the majority of the channels are showing the same programming then stat muxing can not work very well and the result tends to be that no channel gets a high enough bitrate.

SKY News is on one of SKY's transponders and is not related to any BBC channel so there is no reason for PQ to be affected by the BBC regional launch.

3. Johndm

Johndm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +56
    What I ment was that $ky seemed unaffected by any quality loss, thus suggesting that it was purely the BBC..:D

Check out the 'regionals' at 18.30, when all regions are showing differant programmes, last night it was really poor.

4. Barry Shaw

Barry Shaw

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah I have noticed the problem. I though there was something wrong with sky box. Def sky news and Local news are affected. I have noticed some programmes on ITV 1 as well though which is a bit confusing.

5. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    I suspect that the PQ being output from some/many of the regional studios is not up to the standard of the national output anyway. Regardless of reception or digital compression issues. Certainly, PQ coming from Leeds is noticeably worse (on both analog and freeview) than national stuff.