Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

BBC picture problem

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs Forum' started by edinburgh160, Jan 1, 2005.

1. edinburgh160

edinburgh160

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi everyone, I have a Hitachi 42pd5200 and am very happy with the set. However I am having quality issues when watching (in particular) BBC1.
    For instance Eastenders (wife - not me) and other broadcasts which I would expect to be spot on have poorish quality when compared to say SKY News etc etc.
    My Plasma is only a few days old and I realise it needs time to 'bed in' but any thoughts ??

Cheers

2. fatbob

fatbob
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I think it's just the way that Eastenders is shot.

I also find that some programmes look very vibrant, such as live sporting events and nature documentries, while soaps and dramas can look a bit drab. On my plasma, Eastenders, while not looking grainy or pixelated, always looks a bit dull as though the contrast needs turning up.

It's a bit like the use of different film stocks resulting in some films looking smooth and vibrant and others looking harsh and grainy, but your plasma will be working fine.

3. JiMbOb_74

JiMbOb_74

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have noticed the same...It looks like sky restrict the bandwidth of the bbcs transmissions...where as a film on bbc looks ropey ..one on sky movies is close to dvd quality.

I doubt theirs anything wrong with your plasma (unless its a techwood,samsung,grundig etc then their maybee another problem)

4. Rob100

Rob100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +227
    East Enders is very poor. To me always looks very dull and grainy. Not that I watch it out of choice, but Corrie (on Freeview) is generally very good PQ - just a shame about the content!

Rob.

5. johndon

johndon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +108
    I've got a 5300 and BBC1 can look pretty bad at times, I get quite a bit of solarisation on faces during Eastenders. Don't think it's a case of Sky restricting the BBC's bandwidth, AFAIK, each channel pays for as much bandwidth as they want.

John

6. edinburgh160

edinburgh160

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks guys.
    I watched Back to the future on SKY movies and the quality was fantastic. Also Spiderman 2 picture blew me away. another one was House of Flying Daggers which also had a fantastic picture.
    I'm really pleased with the Hitachi despite what some say.
    maybe quality on terrestrial channels will get better as my plasma beds in, although to be honest I rarely watch BBC anyway.

One more thing, I am looking to get a new DVD player as the one I have is a Ronin ph90, which was cheap, although it has DTS and Prog Scan, but I feel I should be getting a better quality one. My budget is approx £200-250, any ideas ?

thanx in advance

7. lawrenso

lawrenso
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +35
    I have noticed that on Eastenders and other beeb shows weird artifacts - these seem to be in blocks around the screen, moving about randomly. It is not all programs and it can vary in severity from mild to extreme. I also noticed this in John Lewis when they were showing beeb as well. This is sort of putting me off buying a plasma as I am seeing this on a 32" widescreen!!!!
    Cheers

Lawrenso

8. edinburgh160

edinburgh160

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    yes, thats the problem I have, but it is only on the rare likes of Eastenders. Footie etc is brilliant on BBC. Must be the quality they shoot certain programs in.

I wouldn't let it put you off, as the sets are amazing.

9. GaryB

GaryB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,294
    Eastenders is shot on video which gives a very clean look so a small amount of grain and other effects are added in Post Production to give it a more "realistic" look.

10. sathelp

sathelp
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Just for info, Sky does not transmit the BBC channels or have any input to the bitrate they use in their broadcasts. However, BBC use fixed bitrates where Sky uses varible (statistical muxing). So some programs like high action (sport) and other demanding programs look far worser on the BBC as there just is not enough bandwidth for it. Using Sky's method would allow the program to borrow a bit of bandwidth from the others transmitted with it just for that bit in time, thus not looking ropey and keeping sport and movies so good.

Hope this explains it a little

11. Mep

Mep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +477
    I find the worst shows for solarisation are Corrie and The Bill.....I've no idea how they are shot but there seems to be a common theme here amongst shows that are put out several times a week

12. Rob100

Rob100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +227
    Eh!? We tend to watch both these on Freeview (Netgem iPlayer) on Panny PW5 and the PQ is always superb and no solorisation what-so-ever! Corrie especially is superb PQ compared with most programs in my opinion.

Rob.

13. Mep

Mep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +477
    I must admit they were always fine on my sharp 32".......my plasma is another story though and subject of another thread! :)

14. Rob100

Rob100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +227
    What's your plasma and how are you connected to it?