BBC pay - THEY GET HOW MUCH?!?!?

Solomon Grundy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Which name pisses you off the most?

Jeremy Vine and Gary Lineker for me. Unbelievable!

Politically and every other correct thing the BBC can be pays men more that are doing the same job as a woman.

Big Bullshit Corporation

Gary Lineker a right-on leftie who also does tax avoidance.

She's probably on tv 10 times more than Lineker too :)

Clare Balding needs to get a new agent. Earning 1/10th of Lineker.

But surely the BBC are just paying market value for the presenters? I suspect that if the BBC were to pay Lineker the same amount as Clare Balding then ITV/SKY/BT would offer him more and he would leave. The reason Balding doesn't get paid the same as Lineker is there is no competition for her services.

If the BBC didn't pay market value then it would be full of crap presenters. Simple economics really.

The BBC are a public service broadcaster, it shouldn't be worried about employing big name presenters, give some lesser known, lower paid presenters a chance.

But surely the BBC are just paying market value for the presenters? I suspect that if the BBC were to pay Lineker the same amount as Clare Balding then ITV/SKY/BT would offer him more and he would leave. The reason Balding doesn't get paid the same as Lineker is there is no competition for her services.

If the BBC didn't pay market value then it would be full of crap presenters. Simple economics really.

Agree. I've got no issue with what the top presenters earn.
If you don't have the top guys, they will lose viewers or listeners. Simple.

I can live with what Lineker earns - I like him (ignoring his politics) and he's great on MOTD , but Shearer? Seriously? And Claudia Winkleman? How could literally anyone else not do their jobs better than them?

The BBC are a public service broadcaster, it shouldn't be worried about employing big name presenters, give some lesser known, lower paid presenters a chance.

And then nobody will watch/listen to it. Would you be happy paying your licence fee in this scenario?

I can live with what Lineker earns - I like him (ignoring his politics) and he's great on MOTD , but Shearer? Seriously? And Claudia Winkleman? How could literally anyone else not do their jobs better than them?

Agree with you on Shea
My licence fee is free. :clap:

How come? Or is just free to you (someone else is paying it)?

And then nobody will watch/listen to it. Would you be happy paying your licence fee in this scenario?

Seeing as I'm not happy about paying it now anyway, then nothing would change :D

I thought the whole point of a publicly funded public service broadcaster was not to have to worry about chasing ratings.

Agree. I've got no issue with what the top presenters earn.
If you don't have the top guys, they will lose viewers or listeners. Simple.
It's Match Of The Day...he doesn't even pundit, just announces the game highlights!

Seeing as I'm not happy about paying it now anyway, then nothing would change :D

I thought the whole point of a publicly funded public service broadcaster was not to have to worry about chasing ratings.

High ratings is just a side effect of high quality tv shows.

I wouldn't say you need big-name, highly-paid stars to make high quality tv shows. Can't say I've noticed too many on BBC of late anyway to be honest :devil:

Not sure why anyone is surprised after we all found out what Wogan earned a few years ago and the sex inequality has been common knowledge for years.

I have no problem with Lineker, I do have a problem with Balding's salary though

I have no problem with Lineker, I do have a problem with Balding's salary though
How is Lineker salary okay in comparison to what he actually does...and in comparison to everyone else on the list ?

I take it, of course this in not how much they earn for their job.
It's just a little side line work for the BBC

obscene amounts of money being handed over. pay them less and put more money into the quality of programs and service, or work to bring the cost of the license down (or at least keep it where it is)
if Winkleman doesn't like that she will be paid less then she can clear off and get a job elsewhere. they are all replaceable

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom