1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

BBC Opens It's Archives!

Discussion in 'TV Show Forum' started by Rasczak, Aug 24, 2003.

1. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,265
    As some of you may have heard on the radio, BBC Director-General Greg Dyke has announced plans for 'BBC Creative', the 'second phase' of the digital revolution, whereby the BBC plans to open up its ENTIRE archive to everyone over the internet. The article can be found here:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/pressoffice/pressreleases/stories/2003/08_august/24/dyke_dunn_lecture.shtml

This could be fantastic news. Still I hope it's plans for quality downloads (in .wmv for example) - not RealPlayer streamed media - couldn't imagine trying to watch some classic drama in the form of low resolution streaming media! The fact he proposes it will be 'free' is worrying because it does suggest a lack of quality (otherwise why would they still make money on DVDs/VHS). Still it's an interesting step.

I hope it includes drama (especially stuff that is unlikely to ever make it to DVD such as Day Of The Triffids) but I have a sneaky suspicion it may only relate to News/Current Affairs.

2. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,344
    I do not know if you have sat but they are showing that series on UK Gold at 9 am on Sundays.

3. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,265
    Yes - I've already recorded and archived it to DVD - it was just an example. There is so much stuff that is not shown on Satellite but exists in the Beeb archives. If we could get quality copies of such shows it would be fantasic. Alas I think it probably only means news/documentaries.

4. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,344
    I was looking at some archive stuff today and was wondering why they never show it yet repeat the same old stuff time after time, after time, after time, etc.