BBC ONE HD - Possible bitrate cut?

DirtyNorris

Established Member
Reaction score
Now we know that the BBC upped the Bitrate for BBC One HD for the royal wedding - but now that presumably they have lowered it again, have they lowered it to a rate lower than the pre-royal wedding setting?

I ask because I'm trying to watch 'Exile' on BBC1HD - and there's all sorts of colour banding and solarisation effects, the worst I've seen for quite a while. It could be a source material problem, or an issue with this particular programme, I didn't notice any similar effects on last night's Doctor Who.

At the risk of sounding thick - how do we know they upped the bitrate ? :confused:

you can tell. at xmas 2010 itv upped their "bit rate" or resolution because i've never seen x-factor or any other programme for that matter look brilliant. when i watched the opening to the show, i already noticed and mentioned it to the wife because it looked so good! so yes, i can believe that the bbc tweaked theirs for the royal wedding. why not leave it that way?

I noticed the quality of the event on Friday looked abnormally special.

Thanks for the info chaps. I agree that the HD quality was much better during the wedding transmission, it was almost up to Sky Sports standards.:)

John

Now we know that the BBC upped the Bitrate for BBC One HD for the royal wedding - but now that presumably they have lowered it again, have they lowered it to a rate lower than the pre-royal wedding setting?

I ask because I'm trying to watch 'Exile' on BBC1HD - and there's all sorts of colour banding and solarisation effects, the worst I've seen for quite a while. It could be a source material problem, or an issue with this particular programme, I didn't notice any similar effects on last night's Doctor Who.

I had exactly the same image issues whilst watching Exiles.

Bit offtopic - watching Man Utd V Schalke on ITV HD and it is awful. Worst ever.

Back on topic - yeah exile was average compared to the royal wedding, dare I say, better than Sky Sports HD pq. Also the surround sound was phenomenal too....

I though the official BBC line was that bitrate has no bearing on pq?

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom