BBC ONE HD - Possible bitrate cut?

DirtyNorris

Now we know that the BBC upped the Bitrate for BBC One HD for the royal wedding - but now that presumably they have lowered it again, have they lowered it to a rate lower than the pre-royal wedding setting?

I ask because I'm trying to watch 'Exile' on BBC1HD - and there's all sorts of colour banding and solarisation effects, the worst I've seen for quite a while. It could be a source material problem, or an issue with this particular programme, I didn't notice any similar effects on last night's Doctor Who.

finest1

At the risk of sounding thick - how do we know they upped the bitrate ? :confused:

you can tell. at xmas 2010 itv upped their "bit rate" or resolution because i've never seen x-factor or any other programme for that matter look brilliant. when i watched the opening to the show, i already noticed and mentioned it to the wife because it looked so good! so yes, i can believe that the bbc tweaked theirs for the royal wedding. why not leave it that way?

biffo1963

Standard Member
Thanks for the info chaps. I agree that the HD quality was much better during the wedding transmission, it was almost up to Sky Sports standards.:)

John

Whitley Lad

Distinguished Member
Now we know that the BBC upped the Bitrate for BBC One HD for the royal wedding - but now that presumably they have lowered it again, have they lowered it to a rate lower than the pre-royal wedding setting?

I ask because I'm trying to watch 'Exile' on BBC1HD - and there's all sorts of colour banding and solarisation effects, the worst I've seen for quite a while. It could be a source material problem, or an issue with this particular programme, I didn't notice any similar effects on last night's Doctor Who.

I had exactly the same image issues whilst watching Exiles.

mark2160p

Bit offtopic - watching Man Utd V Schalke on ITV HD and it is awful. Worst ever.

Back on topic - yeah exile was average compared to the royal wedding, dare I say, better than Sky Sports HD pq. Also the surround sound was phenomenal too....

The latest video from AVForums

Sony Bravia XR A80J OLED TV Review
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom