BBC on ITVDigital: anamorphic?

Discussion in 'Satellite TV, Sky TV & FreeSat' started by rob@rar.org.uk, Oct 29, 2001.

1. rob@rar.org.uk

rob@rar.org.uk
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a (Nokia) ITVDigital box. All the BBC channels (1, 2, Knowledge, News24, etc) seem to be broadcast most of the time in anamorphic widescreen. Is this right, or am I imaginiing it?

I have the Nokia box set to 'widescreen' setting, output via scart to my Toshiba w/s set (it doesn't automatically switch to its 'Wide' setting). None of the other ITVDigital channels seem to be broadcast in anamorphic, just the BBC.

Regards

Rob

2. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,023
    A significant proportion (but not all) of the BBC's output on Digital is anamorphic widescreen.

A significant proportion (but not all) of ITVs output is also anamorphic widescreen. Ditto Channel 4.

Very little of Sky's output (I've yet to see anything on Sky1) is widescreen. I gather some of their movie channels sometimes are.

Carlton Cinema is always anamorphic widescreen, although many of their films are 4x3 - they add their own black edges to such an image.

The "old" channels (GPlus, UK Gold et al) primarily output material made before 16x9 - so most (all?) of their output is 4x3.

3. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    BBC have started to crop 4:3 shows to almost 16:9 (you can see slight bars to the left and right, like you get on BBC New24), they have even done this cropping with Pingu.

Channel 5 have a very small amount anamorphic widescreen broadcasts. (CSI - Crime Scene Investigations is one of the shows that they broadcast in anamorphic widescreen)

All adverts on BBC1, BBC2, ITV, C4 and C5 are anamorphic widescreen (due to a broadcasting law brought in last year)

ITV2 and BBC Choice have a lot of widescreen,

ITV Sport has widescreen.

Carlton Cinema is wierd. They show everything in widescreen, but 4:3 films are cropped slightly to approx 14:9 which is window boxed in the 16:9 frame (they tend not to show 4:3 window boxed as that has less active pixels than normal 4:3). They crop most 2.35:1 films to 16:9

Taste CFN is widescreen

MTV shows some music vids in widescreen but they are not anamorphic.

FilmFour does widescreen (OAR where possible)

E4 does widescreen

ITV Request 1 - 5 do show films in widescreen (OAR) but a majority of the showings are 4:3 Pan&Scan

ITV Sport Plus seems to do widescreen

Skys movie channels are 4:3

4. Doubledoom

Doubledoom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It is not possible to switch between 4:3 and 16:9 in a programme.

CBBC is treated as a single programme and as some of the content is in widescreen (studio and tweenies), they had to make the choice whether to put black bars down the side to keep the 4:3 ratio or to crop to 14:9 with small black bars for old 4:3 material. Apparantly, the latter option gets less complaints so they went with that. Same applies with the news.

Sky Premier Widescreen, Sky sports and some sky box office channels are anamorphic. (via the SkyD platform)

If you are having widescreen switching problems, make sure the scart is fully wired and plugged in correctly and fully. Also, the older Toshiba model televisions often forgot how to auto-switch, upon detection of an anamorphic widescreen transmission, if you had manaully changed the zoom mode since the tv had been on. You have to put it back into standby and then back on again to get auto switching back.

I would suggest you put the tv in 4:3 mode whilst viewing a 4:3 channel, such as UK Gold. Turn off and then on again. Now spend the next few days seeing how often the tv goes into wide mode. You may not like the black bars (i don't mind them but it's a personal choice) but at least you will see for sure when the tv switches between 4:3 and wide and not when it uses Super Live (or auto-size).