BBC iPlayer

Discussion in 'TV Show Forum' started by cjb, Jan 21, 2008.

1. cjb

cjb
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi Guys,
    Tried out BBC iplayer recently to catch up on a program I forgot was on.
    Went to the beeb and downloaded the software, found the program I wanted and started to download.
    My connection is 2mb cable broadband normally giving me 240Kb/sec. So this 280MB file took 2 hours to download at max 50 Kb/s and then refused to play in Windows media Player cos of the licence issue. Then found it would play in the BBC Iplayer but I couldn't copy that file to any other source.

In the config settings you can specify that the download manager does /or not/ start in windows. I specified not... but when I restarted my system the next day my broadband connection was going full blast.
    Being PEER TO PEER I wondered what it was doing because I wasn't downloading anything. I can only assume my file was being uploaded to someone else.
    NOT SURE I LIKE THIS AT ALL... so deleted everything.
    Just a warning to others....:nono:

2. stealther

stealther

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +93
    cjb is right.
    Fairly standard stuff but its hidden away pretty well you have to want to find it!

Dont think I would have a problem if ever the bbc produce something un missable I will try it out.;)

3. meansizzler

meansizzler
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +343
    Using Vista 64bit, got it to work using a work around, no problems, if it does not play try playing it again....

4. Chox1988

Chox1988
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,161
    i dont mind the fact i have to play in the beeb's player so much but the peer to peer can be restricted from iplayer, cant remember where the settings are but it can be set not to upload.