Question BBC iplayer was working ??

macp

Standard Member
Evening all

My Panasonic TV was running iplayer perfectly fine even up to yesterday but today its almost unwatchable. The TV is wireless and I have a BT smart hub router located nearby in the hall. Speeds are really good and strangely Youtube & Prime run perfectly well. I have another LG TV in the kitchen on wifi and it plays iplayer perfectly.

What has happened guys im clueless ??

mikej

Have you tried all the obvious stuff - deleting and re-installing the iPlayer app if that's possible or if it isn't, made sure you're you're using the latest version ?

A factory reset might be worth a go if that doesn't help, provided you don't mind losing your channel tunings and TV settings.

Which model TV and roughly how old is it ?

macp

Standard Member
Have you tried all the obvious stuff - deleting and re-installing the iPlayer app if that's possible or if it isn't, made sure you're you're using the latest version ?

A factory reset might be worth a go if that doesn't help, provided you don't mind losing your channel tunings and TV settings.

Which model TV and roughly how old is it ?

Hi Mike

Thanks for the reply. The TV is a Panasonic TX49 FX555B and its around 8mths old now I would guess. Youtube buffered a couple times last night as well. But not at first and I could see on the (progress) indicator in the video that the speeds were good. However iplayer seems ok at the moment. I went into the router setup today and though its set to auto scan channels I got it to rescan anyway. Will see what happens.

Last edited:

mikej

I have my TV hardwired to my router to avoid problems like this - there are too many variables when using WiFi on a TV for my liking ! Speed issues aren't too much of a problem if you just watch the odd YouTube video, but can be a real annoyance if you rely on the catch up services or want to stream 4K content smoothly.

Do you have anyone else in the house who might be doing anything bandwidth-intensive (like streaming or gaming) at the times you're having problems ?

Do a speed test on a phone near the TV using a speed test app, then try visiting a speedtest site on the TV's browser and see what speed the TV is actually getting.

Wi-fi modules in TVs have been known to fail so if you've only got a 1 year warranty, I would try and sort this ASAP.

If it really is a problem just with iPlayer and you can't delete/reinstall the app, you've not got too much to lose by doing a factory reset.

macp

Standard Member
Thanks again Mike
So the TV has a facility to test internet speed and its currently showing 62mbps. Incidentally Prime & Netflix both play without issue and always have. Started having issues with both iplayer & Youtube again today. Prime & Netflix are still working fine but I did a factory reset anyway. So far both iplayer & YT seem better but I guess time will tell.

Our last set was an LG with a 37inch screen and never had any issues streaming wireless with that TV. My daughter has it upstairs now and it still streams on wireless without issue.

Update:
I found another thread just doing a Google search on the BT community. The poster advised that by default the home hub router is set to automatically change the wireless channel when it senses other users on the same channel. The ever changing channels can cause issues so he set and fixed his channel and since has had no further problems. I thought it was worth a shot especially as I have few neighbors. In fact only one who could be close enough to pickup their signal. I will advise how it goes.

Last edited:

macp

Standard Member
So far so good folks. Had an outage this week where the router was still showing blue for ok but no internet. A quick reboot of the router seems to have fixed it. Hopefully that was just an anomaly

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom