BBC iPlayer UHD problem

wyerd

I’m having problems playing any BBC iPlayer UHD content on my Samsung MU8000 TV. Once I select the programme to play, I get the rotating circle and after around 45 seconds I get the message Something went wrong playing this programme with the error code 02100. Ordinary content plays without any issue and I have a 200Mbps connection to my ISP. The TV is on the latest firmware and BBC iPlayer is also up to date.

Any ideas on what’s going on and how to fix it?

Thanks,
Dave.

chopples

Distinguished Member
I’m having problems playing any BBC iPlayer UHD content on my Samsung MU8000 TV. Once I select the programme to play, I get the rotating circle and after around 45 seconds I get the message Something went wrong playing this programme with the error code 02100. Ordinary content plays without any issue and I have a 200Mbps connection to my ISP. The TV is on the latest firmware and BBC iPlayer is also up to date.

Any ideas on what’s going on and how to fix it?

Thanks,
Dave.

It be something to do with the cache mate, try doing a full reboot of the TV and give it another go. You can reboot the set by holding the power button when you turn it off.

wyerd

Thanks for your reply. So I reset the TV by pressing the power off button on the remote for around 5 seconds until I saw the Samsung Smart TV logo on the screen. Unfortunately, BBC iPlayer still has the same problem.

HDRallday

Novice Member
Same issue on LG TV. So annoying. Have tried everything! There's issues with Sony TVs too. Not good enough.

nigelbb

Distinguished Member
I posted regarding this issue on my QE85Q80T a couple of days ago. I get the "Something went wrong playing this programme" message when I try & play any UHD content live or recorded.
The slight twist with my setup is that I am in France & using a VPN to spoof a UK IP address & if I don't use the VPN this is the same message I get on all content on iPlayer. My network speed is decent at around 100Mbps down & 10Mbps up over 4G+. The TV firmware is the latest version 1497. As far as I know the iPlayer app is the latest version too. BBC iPlayer UHD on QE85Q80T?

In the UK I have QE75Q950R & had no problems playing recorded UHD content a couple of weeks ago.

Most of the supported devices for UHD content are TVs. Neither the Amazon Fire Stick 4K or Apple TV 4K are supported. It seems that the only low cost device that the BBC supports for UHD playback on iPlayer is the Roku Streaming Stick+. I have just ordered one & will report back.

nigelbb

Distinguished Member
I checked the network speed using the browser to go to www.speedtest.net & discovered that the speed using the VPN was variable & often below 25Mbps download which is the recommended speed for BBC UHD media. I switched to using an EE sim in my 4G router & then there is no need to use a VPN because the TV 'thinks' that it's in the UK. Download speeds on EE are 60Mbps or more & BBC HD content plays perfectly.

I suggest the OP check the network speed on the TV as mine was too slow even though my iPhone & laptop connected to the same VPN saw download speeds of 80-90Mbps the TV only just managed 25Mbps although upload speed was OK at 18-20Mbps on all my devices.

wyerd

I checked the network speed using the browser to go to www.speedtest.net & discovered that the speed using the VPN was variable & often below 25Mbps download which is the recommended speed for BBC UHD media. I switched to using an EE sim in my 4G router & then there is no need to use a VPN because the TV 'thinks' that it's in the UK. Download speeds on EE are 60Mbps or more & BBC HD content plays perfectly.

I suggest the OP check the network speed on the TV as mine was too slow even though my iPhone & laptop connected to the same VPN saw download speeds of 80-90Mbps the TV only just managed 25Mbps although upload speed was OK at 18-20Mbps on all my devices.
Interesting as I too am using a VPN - NordVPN. I have a Raspberry Pi acting as a VPN gateway which according to the speed test I’ve just run, I’m getting 48Mbps download which should be within the UHD iPlayer specs.
B7836BB8-13CB-4267-BD6C-011FD891B460.png

nigelbb

Distinguished Member
Interesting as I too am using a VPN - NordVPN. I have a Raspberry Pi acting as a VPN gateway which according to the speed test I’ve just run, I’m getting 48Mbps download which should be within the UHD iPlayer specs.
View attachment 1529937
Did you run the speed test on the TV or on the Raspberry Pi? I found on the TV I got a lower download speed on the TV (upload speed was unaffected0. Other devices got full download speed through the VPN & when I used the network without the VPN download speed was full on the TV.

Last edited:

PondLife65

Standard Member
I have experienced the same thing when watching Euro 2020 games but inconsistently. Some games have been fine, some buffer occasionally and some give the error and I can't watch the game through the TV app and revert to my Sky Q. I wonder if this in fact a TV issue or backend capacity at the BBC to service the volume of streaming? I have also compared image quality switching from one source to another and the iPlayer quality is certainly better than upscaled HD, though I wouldn't call it night and day.

wyerd

Did you run the speed test on the TV or on the Raspberry Pi? I found on the TV I got a lower download speed on the TV (upload was unaffected. Other devices got full download speed through the VPN &when I used the network without the VPN download speed was full on the TV.
I ran it on the Raspberry Pi. How do you run it on the TV?

nigelbb

Distinguished Member
Running it using the TVs really slow browser I’m getting 37Mbps download
I was getting around that speed on the TV with the VPN when BBC iPlayer UHD failed to work. Switching out the VPN the speed is 65Mbps & I have no problems with BBC iPlayer UHD.

wyerd

I was getting around that speed on the TV with the VPN when BBC iPlayer UHD failed to work. Switching out the VPN the speed is 65Mbps & I have no problems with BBC iPlayer UHD.
Hmmm ….. VPN is the only method I have of connecting to iPlayer. I’ve tried SmartDNS, but that doesn’t work with all the other UK streaming services I use. Back to the drawing board……

wyerd

So I ditched OpenVPN and instead setup NordLynx which doesn’t have the extreme overhead OpenVPN has and now I’m getting 200Mbps downloads to my PC and 83 Mbps to the TV
7458DD53-BA91-40C3-8D8F-74D2D424C5C8.jpeg

All streaming apps work perfectly and the image also looks a lot sharper than before, but UHD content will still not play as before, so I’m not sure what the problem is now.

Last edited:

orange55

I have same issue on Panasonic OLED TV. Not using vpn at all and have 37mb to tv. So annoying.

wyerd

I have same issue on Panasonic OLED TV. Not using vpn at all and have 37mb to tv. So annoying.
Have you reported it to the BBCiPlayer website? The more people report the issue, the more likely that they'll fix it.

What year and make is your TV?

The latest video from AVForums

AVForums Movies Podcast: Streaming Theatrical Releases And The Future Of Cinema
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom