BBC IPlayer - Surround Sound Audio Question

robbo100

Prominent Member
Reaction score
All,

I have a question regarding the audio encoding of BBC IPlayer Content.

When I watch any Music / TV / Video using my computer (I use MediaPortal, but the same it the case with WMP etc), my amplifier will automatically detect the audio type and configure as appropriate (e.g. DD, DTS HD, Stereo, Dolby Surround, etc).

However, whenever I watch something using BBC IPlayer (whether that be using the MediaPortal Online Videos Plugin, or using the IPlayer software itself) it always plays in stereo. If I manually change the audio type to Dolby Surround, then the audio seems correct (so it is encoded with the appropriate surround information), but why doesn't the amp configure itself automatically?

Is it something to do with the way BBC encode the video, or a problem with my setup?

Thanks

Robbo100

Multi-channel audio from iplayer? Didn't know that existed.

Maybe that is the answer to my question then - it is stereo so my system is working fine.

Why don't BBC do multichannel audio on the HD content? Seems strange not to considering the relatively high quality video.

Bandwidth probably. The video isn't actually that good. If you play it on a PJ screen the compression is very evident compared to proper HD stuff. It looks very good on reasonably sized screens though.

I usually let my amp process iPlayer streams with Pro Logic, which seems to give a pleasant pseudo surround feel with crisp dialogue.

I have been finding that there are regular drops in the audio though, only for a millisecond at a time and barely noticable- but it is there.

Bandwidth probably. The video isn't actually that good. If you play it on a PJ screen the compression is very evident compared to proper HD stuff. It looks very good on reasonably sized screens though.
Do you not see a difference between their streamed material and their iPLayer app?

I think their wmp format material is lower bitrate, but I think their downloaded material to their Adobe AIR app is slightly higher (though this might be wrong).

I haven't directly compared them actually. I will do when I get the chance. :)

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom