• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

bbc iplayer problem

personals

Standard Member
I understand that the BBC iplayer use flash-based software for steaming.

Unfortunately the iphone doesn't include flash in its browser (yet) and hence you (we) can't play a things through the iplayer.

Hopefully, a new edition of a firmware update will bring flash to the iphone browser.

mentos

iplayer works fine over wifi. but not over edge etc...
also if you have a jailbroken phone with certain apps installed they can cause problems.

ROBIN50N

I understand that the BBC iplayer use flash-based software for steaming.

Unfortunately the iphone doesn't include flash in its browser (yet) and hence you (we) can't play a things through the iplayer.

Hopefully, a new edition of a firmware update will bring flash to the iphone browser.

the bbc made an iplayer version for ipod touch and iphone, as they have with wii and n95 etc...

personals

Standard Member
Excellent, thanks for the update. I'll need to go and find the iplayer for the iphone, as when I look at the homepage news.bbc.co.uk on my iphone, all the media is 'broken'.

Cheers all.

normjohn

the bbc made an iplayer version for ipod touch and iphone, as they have with wii and n95 etc...

Thanks for info, can you tell me how / where I can get the iplayer from, or is it automatically used when I play a video from the bbc site, in which case it wont run for me for some reason over wifi

mentos

it should just play, if you have boss prefs installed,also instal the safari download toggle. turn the safari download plug in off when using iplayer.
then works again.

sheffsteel

My Iphone 3G works fine with the Iplayer.
The only thing I did was use google and typed in "BBC Iplayer Iphone", then just clicked the BBC link.

However bear in mind:
1: There MUST be a wi-fi connection, won't start using 3G.
2: Also when I look at the schedule of this weeks programmes, everynow and then some of the programmes don't seem to be available. I can check yesterdays programmes on BBC1 and watch some programmes but not others, sometimes get the "not available for download" message.

A good tip is to put on finger on the screen (leave it there for 3 seconds)when you're in Safari using the Iplayer, then use the options list to place the "Iplayer" icon on your home page.

Last edited:

normjohn

My only connection is wifi and this works fine on everything else. My original problem was it kept telling me that this format was not supported whichever clip I tried to play. But when I connected tonight, it said there was an update available, which I did, but now when I select from any of the listings, it comes up with a larger version of the picture (and description) but there are no arrows or symbols for me to click on or anything to play the file.
As you suggested, I have now been able to place the iplayer icon on my springboard - thanks

kourosh

Distinguished Member
My Iphone 3G works fine with the Iplayer.
The only thing I did was use google and typed in "BBC Iplayer Iphone", then just clicked the BBC link.

However bear in mind:
1: There MUST be a wi-fi connection, won't start using 3G.
2: Also when I look at the schedule of this weeks programmes, everynow and then some of the programmes don't seem to be available. I can check yesterdays programmes on BBC1 and watch some programmes but not others, sometimes get the "not available for download" message.

A good tip is to put on finger on the screen (leave it there for 3 seconds)when you're in Safari using the Iplayer, then use the options list to place the "Iplayer" icon on your home page.

just tried it at home and straight away,no probs what so ever except heroes is not working

mentos

normjohn is ur phone jailbroke?
if it is look in cydia for bossprefs safari d/l control. instal that, then open bossprefs and turn off the safari download when you want use iplayer.
its a well know issue that conflicts with iplayer. it should work fine then.
its what i have to do to watch.
my m8 restored his phone 3 times untill i told him a fix

normjohn

Thanks apollo, yes i am jailbroken to 2.01, I also have cydia / boss prefs installed. I have tried iplayer with safari d/l control on and off but with no difference. I can click on the stream i want to view which then enlarges, but there is no play arrow or anything else to enable me to start playing the clip.

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom