Question BBC iPlayer Picture Quality

SoundVision

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Hi I noticed that the BBC iPlayer Catch up picture quality has taken a big down grade.
I used to enjoy watching catch up on BBC iPlayer because it was in HD and I never had any problems no buffering at all over my internet, now they have changed the settings to Best Quality which says Best Quality adjusts to give you the highest quality video your internet connection can handle. Now this is a big down grade in picture quality, it looks worse than dvd quality.
BBC takes the piss takes money from us for tv licence and gives us crap tv picture service on BBC iPlayer plus Now asking do you have a tv licence. Who wants to use BBC iPlayer when picture is that poor any way.
Does any one else think this is bad, annoyed at this ?

Last edited:
Interesting... I thought it's actually improved a little recently. I was wondering if the licence fee situation had scared some people off and provided better bandwidth maybe. I've been watching on a PS3 and it used to be really bad. I'd even have reset it to below SD quality sometimes just to get it to stream without buffering.

The bbc seem to be tinkering with software like you say. I have several devices with different iplayer. Looks like the software changes not the actual video at fault.

It's very rarely that I use the service. The last time was some months ago when my recorder failed to record the first couple of minutes of a show. It was appallingly bad. Buffering, picture break up and constantly going back to bits it had already played. I'd hope that this was a problem on the day but it was unwatchable.

Bri

Odd that the BBC would push iPlayer then deliver a poor service. Has anyone affected by this issue contacted the BBC about this? Perhaps it's device dependent. I've only infrequently used the app., but it's always been fine when used on my Humax and Amazon boxes.

Clem

BBC are dumb, iPlayer service so bad I just use Filmon, private channel on Roku..

Talk about shot themselves in the foot.

Last edited by a moderator:
Odd that the BBC would push iPlayer then deliver a poor service. Has anyone affected by this issue contacted the BBC about this? Perhaps it's device dependent. I've only infrequently used the app., but it's always been fine when used on my Humax and Amazon boxes.

Clem

The last time I complained to them was about the very poor broadcast quality of the last Torchwood series. Loads of people here were complaining about it. Their reply said they were unaware of any problems. To be fair they said they would pass on the complaint to the production team and the matter was resolved shortly afterwards.

Bri

I am going to complain about poor picture quality on BBC iPlayer think taking off the HD setting and giving us so called Best Quality is pretty dam poor show.
I was happy for a while because my new Samsung tv had HD settings on BBC iPlayer then tv had an update found out BBC iPlayer lost the HD replaced with rubbish Best Quality.

My first posting, so apologies if in the wrong place. Like so many, I have an ongoing problem with buffering on BBC iplayer through our Samsung UE32F55. It was fine up until a couple of months ago. Two long calls to BT with assurances that everything is fine their end. Any suggestions please ?

My first posting, so apologies if in the wrong place. Like so many, I have an ongoing problem with buffering on BBC iplayer through our Samsung UE32F55. It was fine up until a couple of months ago. Two long calls to BT with assurances that everything is fine their end. Any suggestions please ?

Are you using the beta version ?,i had bad buffing during Sherlock last night on the beta version,switched back to the older player,and it stopped :)

Using it to catch on Taboo and the quality is garbage.

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom