BBC iPlayer Now Available On iTunes For iPhones

Thanks, it's been a long time coming.

Aside from some over-3G cleverness (which I'll never use), does anyone know how it compares to the iPlayer via the website on iPhone? If there's little or no difference, I see little or no point in me downloading this one instead of the web link, saved on my first home screen as, to all intents and purposes, an app.

Only other query is whether it's possible to AirPlay video and audio from it to Apple TV 2 (proper AirPlay, not mirroring, for those of us without a 4S)? If so, then I may stay true to my word and invest in an Apple TV sooner rather than later.

(And, similarly, anyone know if you can AirPlay audio and video from 4OD and ITV Player apps? I know you couldn't a while ago, but I've lost touch a bit.)

EDIT: Just actually bothered to read it, and seems you can AirPlay using iOS5, though would still appreciate confirmation that it is standard and not only mirroring. Also, any word on what the quality's like via AirPlay, what resolution it'll do, etc etc?

Last edited:
I've just tried it, and I can't see any way of using Airplay to stream to an Apple tv. Unless I'm missing something.
The app does allow you to set favourites and it might be easier than using the web link. Although I've never used Iplayer on my iPhone so I can't say how it compares.

I've just tried it again and you have to double click the home button to get to the Airplay selection.
The quality is rubbish.

^^^Thanks, much appreciated. Another tick in the "against" box on my mental list of whether to get an Apple TV or not.

I was thinking about it last night, and increasingly I don't really see the point. There are other media streamers out there which do the same and more. A lot of TVs seem to have iPlayer clients now and, for those of us without such technology (ie. me), you can get similarly capable Blu Ray players with them.

I want an Apple TV because it would work with my iPhone and iTunes nicely. And, well, it's a nice Apple thing. But common sense has to kick in at some point.

I've just tried it again and you have to double click the home button to get to the Airplay selection.
The quality is rubbish.

The quality adapts according to the bit rate you are getting over 3G. It starts out bad and once it works out my connection is stable, the quality improves to that of a wifi connection. I'm on 3, if that's any help. It does the same whether I'm on my iPhone or my iPad.

The quality adapts according to the bit rate you are getting over 3G. It starts out bad and once it works out my connection is stable, the quality improves to that of a wifi connection. I'm on 3, if that's any help. It does the same whether I'm on my iPhone or my iPad.
Thats the same as what the Sky Go app does. First time i used that i thought it was awful and gave up but then next time i let it sort itself out and even over 3G, i'm with O2, it was crystal clear 99% of the time.

Have they done away with the pink HQ stream indicator as I've not seen this on my pad or phone since the update whilst playing back HD originated content? WiFI or 3G.

Has anyone tried to listen to past recorded radio shows?

When I press pause, a few seconds later it starts playing again! :confused:

Edit. It will only pause using the button in the app.

Last edited:
Does anyone know if you can stream the audio from BBC iPlayer to an A2DP Bluetooth device to listen ie. without having to use headphones ? EDIT- yes you can.

I was wondering if there is any sort of DRM-related restriction . That aside, are there any DRM-related restrictions at all for A2DP Bluetooth ?

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom