BBC iPlayer not loading on Panasonic TV

I have the same problem, earlier in the year my retailer took the TV away for testing & after 2 weeks stated that the TV was OK. On return the iplayer continued to load up for a couple of months but has gone again.
My model is TX 40CX802B, great TV screen but it's no longer 'SMART'. I will call Panasonic in the New Year & see what they have to say. The No. reported on BBC website is 0344 844 3899 ( it's not a Perium rate line). The report on BBC website dated 22 Dec (no year stated so presume it's 2017) :-
BBC iPlayer Help - Why is BBC iPlayer not loading on my Panasonic TV?
If I get anything sensible from Panasonic I'll repost on this forum.
For the time being if you have a problem I suggest you also makke the call to Panasoniic & see if the volume of calls stimulates them into taking this issue seriously.

Phoned Panasonic and they advised a factory reset. Took ages to restore all the settings. I then tested iPlayer and it worked for an hour only to fail completely once again!

The reset did at least fix the issues I was having with other catch up tv services, but iPlayer is clearly broken quite badly.

The whole point of this tv is that's it is a Freeview Play device and therefore has iPlayer integrated in it, yet it's terrible at handling the service. If it doesn't work now what's it going to be like in a year or two?

Phoned Panasonic and they advised a factory reset. Took ages to restore all the settings. I then tested iPlayer and it worked for an hour only to fail completely once again!

The reset did at least fix the issues I was having with other catch up tv services, but iPlayer is clearly broken quite badly.

The whole point of this tv is that's it is a Freeview Play device and therefore has iPlayer integrated in it, yet it's terrible at handling the service. If it doesn't work now what's it going to be like in a year or two?
A reset is only a temporary fix, usually it takes me 15-20mins to reset everything which includes re-scanning channels, re-connecting wireless hub and re-entering all your passwords for all the TV channels, & if you have an amplifier & home cinema, the sound needs configuring again, a real pain!
I bought a 'SMART' tv which is no longer fit for purpose. Commiserations.
My workaround is to use my laptop & USB cable.
Whilst Panasonic were keen to point out that it is a BBC problem, I note that other Panasonic models work just fine? Hmmm.

Are you guys running the HDR firmware?

Not sure what you mean, please explain?

He probably means the 3.228 firmware which enabled HDR on this model.

Yes, I am.

I notice that some members in the EZ952 OLED forum are talking about iPlayer issues also, so this appears more widespread than just our TV.

Last time I checked iPlayer was still working on mine since the factory reset.

A reset is only a temporary fix, usually it takes me 15-20mins to reset everything which includes re-scanning channels, re-connecting wireless hub and re-entering all your passwords for all the TV channels, & if you have an amplifier & home cinema, the sound needs configuring again, a real pain!
I bought a 'SMART' tv which is no longer fit for purpose. Commiserations.
My workaround is to use my laptop & USB cable.
Whilst Panasonic were keen to point out that it is a BBC problem, I note that other Panasonic models work just fine? Hmmm.

Beside the BBC apps not working, I found the 'RED' button does not work either!

Yes the Red button is 100% dead. Attempting to load iPlayer even kills the Freeview EPG sometimes (not always) and the tv has to be switched off to fix it.

Can confirm I'm also using the latest firmware.

A real shame becasue the tv hardware itself is quite nice - just doesn't have the key smart tv features I paid for.

We're half way through January and it's still not working nor have the BBC even promised a date when it will be fixed.

Am I able to reject the TV under the sale of goods act? it was explicitly marketed as a Freeview Play model yet does not perform as one.

If other Firefox OS Panasonic TVs work ok with iPlayer then it seems strange that these will not.

It might be worth a try. It depends on how long you've had the set and if the vendor made any specific exclusions. JL make a big thing about apps. not working being outside their 5 year guarantee deal, as I recall. However, I think you have a good case. If it was sold as a Freeview Play device and it doesn't do that, then it's worth a try.

Clem

Same issue here, all 4 app also does the same as iplayer from time to time.

Why don’t we all get together and take some proper action against Panasonic.
How about taking the to the small claims court or sue them under the sale of goods act?
What’s the best way to find out how many of us are fed up enough to really do something about it?

Slight update on BBC website (mostly meaningless though): BBC iPlayer Help - Why is BBC iPlayer not loading on my Panasonic TV?

"We’re working with Panasonic to help them resolve a problem with BBC iPlayer failing to load on Panasonic TVs (CX and DX ranges).

We can confirm that this issue has now been replicated by Panasonic who are continuing their investigation.

If you're experiencing this problem, it's best you contact Panasonic directly on 0344 844 3899. They will log your details so that they can contact you as and when an update is available."

Its a shame - all that Panasonic goodwill gone to nothing. I have a house full of Panasonic products and have always recommended them. Never again, I have cast them into the outer darkness and will never buy another Panasonic product as long as I live.

I have a Panasonic DX902 and the BBC iPlayer works without any issues. :thumbsup:

Interesting, I have a DX902 purchased last April and the iplayer has continually stopped working, requiring a factory reset. Also the red button service doesn't work either. I've spoken to Panasonic a couple of times and the latest they have come up with is doing a factory reset and then changing to Beta version of the iplayer. I'm not convinced this will solve it and feel we are just being fobbed off.
Funnily enough my 2013 Sony has no problem with loading iplayer or the red button. Someone needs to sort this out !

I've been through the reset routine several times over many months, and it works for a couple of days, so I relied on a Firestick for a long time. However, I have since unplugged my USB HDD which I was using as a video recorder, done a reset, and i-Player has continued to work for several weeks now. Hurrah! Are others with the problem using USB memory? Possibly conflicts with DRM?

iplayer not working this morning or the Freetime or Freeview catch up apps, none of them will load. The Freetime and Freeview apps try to load updates then says there is a problem. I don't have a USB drive plugged in either. There is just no sense to this, sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. Drives me bonkers !!

So glad I found this thread, the iPlayer app on my TX-40CX680b has been playing up for the last month or so. Fingers crossed they fix it soon

I'm having a similar issue with the youtube app. sometimes the app loads and as soon as i try to play a video it exit immediately. seems to be intermittent though.

Hi guys newbie here just picked up on your iPlayer thread and I have been having the same problems your all experiencing I have the CX802b 50” . I noticed that every time I done a channel update I would lose iPlayer so now when the update channels message comes up I just ignore it and it’s been fine for a few months now ,, hope this helps

Yeah, that's my TV too. Played a couple of minutes of Blue Planet UHD and next time I tried it wasn't working :(
For me at least, this seems to be the common link for when I get this problem. IPlayer worked fine when I first got the TV (58DX802B). When they introduced the beta with 4k Blue Planet, it worked when you watched the footage but as soon as you closed it down and tried to restart it, you would get a blank screen. I have reset to factory settings several times but every time it lasts a few watches before it refuses to load again, and usually after you have played around with something 4k. Was hoping that either the BBC or Panasonic would have worked out how to fix it by now.
What's even more annoying, is that when you watch a BBC programme now, it displays 'Press button to watch this from the start', which of course tries to load iPlayer, so it doesn't work.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom