BBC iPlayer not loading on Panasonic TV

Smoked

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hi, Please can I ask if anyone else is experiencing this issue? We have a Panasonic TX-55CX802B. Its about 18 months old. Approximately every week I have to complete a factory reset in order to get BBC iPlayer to load. All other apps and services (Freeview, Netflix etc) work as intended. When we select iPlayer we get a black screen, a loading wheel and then a black screen.

Quite frustrating, I seem to have spent the last 6 months factory resetting and then re configuring my tv just to fix this issue. iPlayer works in the rest of the home network just not on this tv. We have logged the issue with Panasonic who say it is an iPlayer issue. Logged with iPlayer on-line support twice. No response yet. We have also logged this with John Lewis who sold us the set. They inform me that, despite the 5 year warranty, they will only take a return if the actual physical tv is broken. They do not cover software or application issues with the tv. This is equally frustrating given that the amount of software in a modern 'Smart' tv.

It would be great to hear if anyone else is experiencing this and if you have found a way to fix it?

Welcome to the forum.

Try clearing out memory buffers of any corrupted data by giving the TV an extended mains disconnection ( At least one hour)

Thanks GavTech, I thought this might have fixed it, but it has come back. What I have worked out is that it has something to do with 'interactive' mode. If you reset your tv, bbc iplayer then works. If you then push the red button whilst on a BBC channel (which enters 'interactive' mode) then iPlayer will not load. I can then not come out of interactive mode to enable it to load as normal.

Not worked. I've played about all afternoon with no result.
Fortunately, I have an Amazon FireBox so I can access iPlayer on that, so all is not lost.
The point I make is that I did have iPlayer directly accessed on my TV. Now I haven't!

Having the same problem with my 50CX802b. Panasonic suggested using the beta version of iPlayer, but this also crashed with about a week. Did you get anywhere?

I’m also having this problem. iPlayer won’t load, I just get a black screen. Mine is the same model (TX-50CX802b).

Last edited:
Probably wont help but Im using the beta and its fine on the 952.
I was on the beta too, but it’s now not working. Unless someone can tell me differently I don’t think there’s a way to come out of the beta outside of the app, which of course won’t load?

Hello all, I have same issue on the Panasonic TX-65CX802b 4k TV I bought only 18 months ago. iPlayer hasn't worked in 15 months for all same reasons / symptoms you guys saying. Have tried countless times with the crappy iPlayer Live helpdesk and they just continually say "we know about this issue and our technical team are investigating" They hide behind their chat window and do nothing - I actually don't believe at all that they're investigating anything on this issue. I'd be MOST grateful if anyone has any ideas for a workaround? As you all probably know you can't uninstall or reinstall the app so any ideas would be great, thank you!

Today, found out I have the same issue, no iPlayer or red button functions, all BBC apps, not running, very disappointed for a TV that is less than two yrs old (55CX802), pity As I liked having the direct newt work feed to the TV, oh well looks like a trip to Apple for a ATV4K
Pity this has to be my first post on the forum

Not much of an advert for smart TVs, or support from the BBC or Panasonic. This sort of thing does question my thinking about replacing my existing 'dumb' tv plus collection of boxes with a 'smart' update.

Clem

BBC iPlayer not loading on Panasonic TV
I have the 50CX802 and have the same problem. Was having this problem periodically ever since I bought the set in May 2016 (every 3 months) with All4 refusing to load . The advice was to do a system reset, but I got tired of doing this as it deletes all the customisations, cookies, passwords and network settings. Takes me hours to set it all up again, plus all the ear ache from the wife that it doesn't work anymore. The IPlayer problem is new in the last fortnight and i presume it can be fixed by a system reset, which I am resisting at present, as I want Currys to investigate the problem under warranty.
Here is the next chapter in the saga, Currys have decided I only have a 1 year warranty instead of the 5 year warranty I was sold with the set. This is currently escalated to Head Office and I await their reply.
I also experience another similar problem with the hdmi (ARC) connection to my Panasonic soundbar. Every two to three months it just decides it is no longer connected and refuses to recognise the soundbar.
I found today that unplugging the set and soundbar from the mains overnight resolved the problem.
This is just as annoying as the iplayer fault when it happens.
Seems like Panasonic need to accept they have a problem here and release a fix for both. I don't expect a TV of this quality and price to have its software obsoleted after 18 months.
Anybody else got similar issues?

I've done a full reset and iPlayer works again. I too was resisting doing so due to losing all of my settings, but finally did it tonight. I'll report back if it stops working again, but at present it's ok.

They have your money, so don't expect much in the way of a response. App support isn't guaranteed -- ask Humax Freesat boxes whose iplayer app no longer works on the older boxes as an example. Once a new model is released, support for older hardware (as if 2016 is old) will start to fall away. There are plenty of examples in the forums here. Part of the issue is that the apps. aren't written by the TV vendors, so they're at the mercy of the providers, the other is that new app. features need more up to date hardware. It's a cop out though, because all of the big TV players trade on the fact that their kit supports all the catch-up and streaming stuff. It might be worth having a look at the Sale of Goods Act to see if that helps.

Clem

I have the same issues as noted above. My model is the TX-50DX802B. Had it about 18 months. Great TV, except for the iPlayer problem. It did work, with errors, for a year or so but problems were evident right from the start. Did anyone else notice that iPlayer (on these problem TV's) never saved 'favourites' or 'last played' programmes. It was fine during a long watching session, the data was captured but as soon as the TV went into standby or was switched off, all the previous days iPlayer 'memory' was wiped.

I put up with this as a glitch, no big deal really. However, I reckon around 5 months ago it started the 'black screen' routine shortly after launching iPlayer. As the rest of you have done, I did the reset thing many times but it got tedious loading back in all the other passwords for various apps.

Just living without iPlayer for the moment on this TV however I saw that the BBC iPlayer help website link as noted in #12 (Smoked's post) has been updated last Wednesday 13th December. Maybe a fix can be found.

If only the iPlayer app could be uninstalled then that could be a fix that would work until the software guys work out what the bigger problem is? It'd be easy enough to routinely install a fresh iPlayer app every day. At least you'd get a days use out of it, provided you did not turn the TV off!

Jules

I've been having the same issue with my TX-40CX802B. There seems to be a common fault with iplayer freezing, the big problem with these Panasonic smart TVs is there is no way of restarting or re-installing the app (apart from the factory reset). After several months of earache from the missus and progressively more frequent resets of the TV, I've just bought a NowTV box and plan to use that for iplayer. Kind of defeats the object of a smart TV having to use another box and RC (no doubt I'll get earache for that too!).

Hi all, Still a problem. The BBC iPlayer website is advising everyone with this issue to call Panasonic (0344 844 3899.) with your model number and your BBC iPlayer Helpdesk case number (CAS-#####). Keep pushing option 1. They will ask for your model number, firmware version and how you use / try to use iPlayer. They have apparently issued a fix for some model numbers (not mine - CX802B).

Yeah, that's my TV too. Played a couple of minutes of Blue Planet UHD and next time I tried it wasn't working :(

Still not working, BBC message is now dated 22nd December for some reason. I guess it has been tweaked slightly?

Hi, Please can I ask if anyone else is experiencing this issue? We have a Panasonic TX-55CX802B. Its about 18 months old. Approximately every week I have to complete a factory reset in order to get BBC iPlayer to load. ...[removed]

It would be great to hear if anyone else is experiencing this and if you have found a way to fix it?

Yes - with a Panasonic tx-40cx802b about 18 months old. iPlayer fails to load from apps or through the browser. It is powered down every night but it makes no difference to the iPlayer failure.

It's been weeks now. It would be reassuring to know that someone at least understands where the problem is - since only iPlayer is broken on these TVs and until a few weeks ago was working as expected, it is most likely that the BBC iPlayer team has caused the fault, so how will calling Panasonic help??? (which is what BBC recommends).

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom